Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
IndLk_Brett

Traditional Spring 'warm up' Hikes

This thread has been fairly silent for far too long so...

I'm wondering if any of you have a specific hike you plan to tackle when the weather finally warms up for good and spring officially arrives. In particular somewhere you traditionally head year after year in the beginning of the warm weather hiking season. Maybe a hike on which to get the blood pumping and the legs a good burn again? Or a view you've been looking forward to seeing all winter?

For myself the hike is Sawyer Mountain between Indian and Blue Mountain Lakes. I try to go every year. I consider it to be about the perfect early season hike for me. It's not overly long at about one mile each way (out and back) and there is just enough elevation gained on the brief uphill near the end to get my legs and lungs a good workout without over extending before my body is ready. It's just enough to get a good little burn and start myself on the road to getting into good hiking shape again after having lost it a bit over the long winter.

In addition to that I've always very much enjoyed the two main vistas at the top. They far exceed in grandeur the price paid in sweat to reach them IMO and no matter how many times I go up there I feel the panorama is always a bit better than I'd remembered. In short I've always thought the views are great for such a short, little hike and I also personally find one of them extra special because it looks down on my 'local' area.

So anyway, that's my annual pilgrimage and the hike I've been waiting for. It has just about everything I'm looking for in an early hike; not too long, a nice little workout and great views all wrapped up in a lesser used trail.

Where is the spot you are looking forward to?

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 03-09-2017 at 04:07 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Nothing specific here, but there are definitely a couple areas that I like to try & get into after the snow melts, and before the hobblebush blooms & the black flies come out.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
Pauly D.

My favorite is the Tongue Range in Lake George. With or without the snakes!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Bark Eater Too

I've always enjoyed Sawyer Mountain. Have you ever done it or Little Sawyer from the old sand pit off the Cedar River Road? It's a bushwhack but quite easy due to generally open hardwood forest. You get some decent views on the way up in the spring before all of the leaves come out. My traditional spring warm up is closer to home here in Delaware. The Brandywine End to End Hike is 36 miles in one day, typically held in mid-April each year. It's a beast. I've done it four times now.
Bark Eater Too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
I've always enjoyed Sawyer Mountain. Have you ever done it or Little Sawyer from the old sand pit off the Cedar River Road?
Yes, but thanks. There are actually some pretty cool ledges with large overhangs up that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
My favorite is the Tongue Range in Lake George. With or without the snakes!
For me snakes are bad enough, be it rational or not, but the ones that rattle in that country make me extra uneasy!

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 03-10-2017 at 06:27 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote