Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
SpencerVT

Mt Alton (Lake Placid)

Trying to hit this sucker later in the Spring/early summer. I read Neil's report from a few years back about it being a hideous blowdown bushwhack of pain from the Echo Bay approach from the South.
So I thought I'd try a northern approach - going from The Goodspeed Rd off of 18A. Anyone else been out in that conifer apocalypse?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
TCD

I have not yet been there. But there are some cliffs in the area that I want to take a look at. So I am very interested in what you find out regarding access to the area (Driveability of the road, reaching State Land, parking, etc.).
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
Trying to hit this sucker later in the Spring/early summer. I read Neil's report from a few years back about it being a hideous blowdown bushwhack of pain from the Echo Bay approach from the South.
The main thickness encountered was en route to a sub-3k peak that we added on and which was off-trajectory. The route out, more direct, was much better. Crossed some big open fens.
What I liked about the Echo Bay approach was combining the whack with a paddle. It meant having to pay close attention to the wind in the forecast.

Edit: check out this Caltopo link. The map will expire in 5 days. The red line is our exit route. Those bodies of water were open fens with great views upwards.

Last edited by Neil; 03-21-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
SpencerVT

Neil is the man! Thanks a lot.

...Even though the last time I took one of your routes, it almost ended my marriage! Hahahahahahaha!! Stuart bushwhack of conifer doom!!

Seriously though, a combined paddle across the lake would be awesome. How long general ballpark estimate should I budget to paddle across the lake?? (so I know how early to start). So you're saying if I go up the mostly drainage route which you took out, that isn't terribly thick?? That Caltopo link is a big help, thanks man!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

It took us about an hour to paddle into Echo Bay from the public docks. The water was glass calm. The way home took at least 90 mins or maybe even 2 hours bucking a 10-15 mph headwind.
Pics
Old 03-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
SpencerVT

Awesome pics! There really are some nice open fens. Psyched to paddle across the lake.
Please tell me the photo caption "hey ho let's go" was because you love the Ramones. (greatest band to ever exist).
Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
Please tell me the photo caption "hey ho let's go" was because you love the Ramones. (greatest band to ever exist).
Yes I was thinking of the Ramones. I love that tune.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
SpencerVT

Hell yeah. You are a great hiker with great taste in music my friend.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
TEO
Forty-Sixer

Alton is on my to-do list, too. We eyed it this past summer from NE Moose, but didn't have time to 'whack out there and back. My thought was to use a similar route to Neil's, but maybe use the SOA trail as an approach, since it would eliminate the variability of waves on the lake. (Though I have to admit, it would be cool to combine a paddle with that hike.)
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote