Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2016, 01:52 AM   #41
dmartenvt

It is disheartening. I had been planning an NPT journey, but this is the kind of thing I can't handle on a trail. Havng had some unsettling experiences in the past; feeling safe (from humans) on the trail is a big deal to me. As luck would have it (bad luck), I have been officially limited to flat, relatively short hikes, and can't carry much weight yet, due to an injury. So maybe putting off my NPT hike is a good thing (trying to find a silver lining!).
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartenvt View Post
It is disheartening. I had been planning an NPT journey, but this is the kind of thing I can't handle on a trail. Havng had some unsettling experiences in the past; feeling safe (from humans) on the trail is a big deal to me. As luck would have it (bad luck), I have been officially limited to flat, relatively short hikes, and can't carry much weight yet, due to an injury. So maybe putting off my NPT hike is a good thing (trying to find a silver lining!).
Is that an Akita in your avatar ? If so , I'm pretty sure you would not need to worry about being safe on the trail from any aggressor 2 legged or 4

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #43
TCD

Emerson (girl killed in Georgia on the AT) had a dog. Guy befriended her and the dog before killing (I guess he was not a problem, just "annoying.")
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #44
montcalm
Mobster

It's a dangerous world. You should just stay indoors and board up your windows and doors. Stockpile weapons and ammunition. Don't let anyone in or befriend anyone.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #45
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

As a male hiker it's something I've never been afraid of. Once in VA I got creeped out by a guy who asked too many pointed questions about where I was camping. Also in VA, I had female hiker friends waiting for me so that they could cross the road with me "because of the rednecks in the parking lot", and explained that they hid their boots at night - everyone looks the same in a bag, but the dainty hikers give away the females.

Not cool.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #46
dmartenvt

Nice tip on hiding the boots! Never thought of that.

It is a little different for a female. Most people I meet on trail are great. But some of my friends, and I, who like to hike alone have had experiences that are intimidating. They are few enough that it doesn't stop us, but intimidating enough that it gives you pause, and we tend to hike together even though many of us are solo hikers at heart.

The shepherd looking one is Belgian Malinois by the way. In her heyday, she was treacherous and I didn't need to worry about a thing. With age, she's a little slower, a little deafer, a little more intimidated. That little golden fellow broke my heart and died this year. He was an awful dog. At the first sign of danger, he would push me out of the way to save himself. He stole food from everyone's packs, started dog fights and ate GPS's, maps, compasses and fly rods. I miss that little terror.

Back to the NPT. I'll do portions of it this year, but will bring a friend.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #47
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
It's a dangerous world. You should just stay indoors and board up your windows and doors. Stockpile weapons and ammunition. Don't let anyone in or befriend anyone.
Reminds me of the George Carlin skit about the man who barricaded himself in his house, was not armed and the police did not notice.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #48
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartenvt View Post
Nice tip on hiding the boots! Never thought of that.

It is a little different for a female. Most people I meet on trail are great. But some of my friends, and I, who like to hike alone have had experiences that are intimidating. They are few enough that it doesn't stop us, but intimidating enough that it gives you pause, and we tend to hike together even though many of us are solo hikers at heart.

The shepherd looking one is Belgian Malinois by the way. In her heyday, she was treacherous and I didn't need to worry about a thing. With age, she's a little slower, a little deafer, a little more intimidated. That little golden fellow broke my heart and died this year. He was an awful dog. At the first sign of danger, he would push me out of the way to save himself. He stole food from everyone's packs, started dog fights and ate GPS's, maps, compasses and fly rods. I miss that little terror.

Back to the NPT. I'll do portions of it this year, but will bring a friend.
It is a shame that if you're a female you need either a large dog or gun to feel safe in the woods or anywhere. Unfortunately it is reality. I am a man, or was, and I don't feel the need for either. But I have a daughter who hikes a lot and I fear for her safety constantly.
I seldom hike on popular trails but when I do I stay keenly aware of people I pass or pass me. When I camp I prefer a "hidden" spot.
Alas I like the lonely trails, if I run into someone they are most likely to be a woodsman not a knucklehead. Besides the way I look they probably think I'm the terrorist.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #49
hiking_mermaid

What I find weird is that there are lots of comments on his Facebook from both men and women who seem to really like him, even telling him when they are hiking the trail.
hiking_mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #50
oldladymac
future hermit

Anyone see a resemblance of this guy (hobo) and the sketch released in the Rachel Mattice case? Her camp where she was allegedly abducted is near Whitehouse. I thought about this guy when I first heard she had gone missing, although now i think her story smells a little fishy.

OLM

**Edit - Sorry this is so big, don't know how to resize.

Last edited by oldladymac; 07-13-2016 at 04:03 PM..
oldladymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #51
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Doesn't really look at all like him, from what I remember. For one thing, "Hobo" was wearing an eye patch when I met him. His hair was a mix of grey and black/brown, not purely white. And he was thinner in his facial profile than that sketch suggests.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #52
dundee

No, not the Hobo I met on the NP.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:13 AM   #53
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
It is a shame that if you're a female you need either a large dog or gun to feel safe in the woods or anywhere. Unfortunately it is reality. But I have a daughter who hikes a lot and I fear for her safety constantly..
My Mom fears for my safety a lot. But over the silliest things. She fears a "big cat" is going to get me and we have senseless debates about the existence of these big cats in the ADKs, and when she finds any article claiming to confirm sightings in the ADKs she mails them to me with I told you so's. It is infuriating!!

I'm a better shot than about anyone I know, but carrying in the ADKs is somewhat impractical. I also tend to stick to lonesome trails, mainly because a lot of people don't like to run into dogs, and I don't like to hike without them. I am still somewhat grounded this year due to an injury. My husband hikes with me when I can drag him along, he looks like a terrorist too so people tend to avoid him; lucky man!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #54
Schip

"Hobo" is looking for love

As a woman who nearly always hikes alone in the Southern 'Daks, I am grateful for whoever it was that posted a picture of the "Homeless Man on the NPT Trail." (Hobo) He has an online personal ad on Plenty of Fish. He indicated that he wanted to meet me, but I recognized his picture right away. Not that I would have ever responded to him anyway, as his own description of himself was enough to let me know I didn't want anything to do with him. Here's a link to the ad that has more pics of him.

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=18010775

I hope I never run into him on the trail.

Kathy
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote