X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello.
    i'm scott.
    i'm 29.
    after highschool i spent 3 years in the german alps in the army.
    then 5 more years in the national guard while going to school for surveying/civil engineering and working.
    I 've been working full time for the D.E.C. for 5 years now. i work in floodplain mapping. i used to be out surveying creeks and rivers most of the time, now i just sit at this computer all day.

as far as the outdoors and such - i was a boyscout, been hiking/camping/canoeing since i was 12.
    i have a group of friends that i always used to go with since highschool. back in highschool it was a trip every month, a couple of week trips every summer. then when i got back from germany it was a trip every other month, maybe a longer trip in the summer. last couple years it's been like pulling teeth to get any of them off their a**es for just 2 or 3 weekends a year.

and so i've turned to this little box to find me some new backpacking companions.

i'm not much of a "peak bagger." i like the views and all, but i can't stand the crowds of the high peak areas. i usually stick to the closer, quieter southern 'Dacks.
    Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
    www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

Hello. My name is Valerie. I live in west Sand Lake NY. I work as an RN at an Albany hospital on the night shift(explains any strange post-times). I recently got a computer and this site is probably the best thing I've found so far. Growing up I wasn't too exposed to the outdoors. When I was 20 I went up to Lake Placid to watch the RPI hockey team play in the ECAC tournament and just fell in love with the Adirondacks. Later that same year I was introduced to camping and fishing by various friends and my love of the outdoors has just grown from there. I've gone from car-camping to a few canoe trips to backpacking almost every weekend April-Nov(winter camping is next). Most weekends its just me and my dog Gerard. The friends that got me into it rarely go now so I guess I'm looking for some new friends to go with. I suppose I'm more of a pond-bagger than a peak-bagger. I usually end up in the Pharoah Lakes, Siamese Ponds, or West Canada Lakes Wildernesses. I would like to do the 46 but I tend to steer away from the crowds. I have only climbed Marcy and Whiteface but have climbed a lot of the less popular mountains. I plan on doing the Northville Placid Trail mid-September.
      “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Little about me

Hi all...I am new to this board....thought I would introduce myself...
        My name is Gail. I am 40 years old. I am a Customer Service Rep/night auditor at a local hotel . I have 3 great kids and one beautiful grandson. I have always had a thing for hiking and camping. I live about 10 minutes from Lake George. About 8 years ago, a bunch of friends and I went camping and decided to climb Wakely Mt. When I got to the top, there was no turning back. Did a few more with fire towers, Hadley being right by me so did that one (beautiful!!) but then ended up with a fractured femur and had to get a total hip replacement because the fracture wouldn't heal correctly. So...after three years of being on crutches and healing.... I am back and ready to take the plunge and start on my 46 high peaks, I am sooo looking forward to it and I am so glad that I found this forum! My 13 year old and I are also going to be working on the Fire Tower Challenge. Well, I suppose that is all. Thanks for this opportunity for people to introduce themselves. Its good to "kindof" know who we are writing to.

Gail

Comment

Hi I’m Zac
          (everyone says, “Hi Zac”)
          And I’m addicted to the Adirondacks. I swear these mountains are worse than cigarettes. I’m a 25-year-old architectural intern. My addiction started at two years old, when my father would take me fishing, this lead to backpacking. My first trip was at age five to Lost Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. We use to take a weekend trip at least once a year from that point on until I started to go on my own with friends. I didn’t start climbing any of the high peaks until a few years ago. My first high peak was Dix. We went in from 73 and then took the north slide to the top. I’m now currently halfway complete with the 46 high peaks, but I see myself hiking those and many other mountains over and over again. I hiked the Northville-Placid Trail end-to-end last summer. Generally if I’m not off hiking I’m out on the water in my canoe.
          A man needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go hiking.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac

Comment

Hello - My name is Jim and I live in Mexico, New York. I'm 54 years old and I have three sons and a grand daughter. I work as a Shipping Supervisor. I was born in Oklahoma (talk about flat) but have spent most of my life in New York. I have had a long love affair with the Adirondacks. I started out going to the tourist attactions and staying in motels. This soon evolved to state camp grounds and finally to wilderness camping, hiking, climbing and trout fishing. I'm an ADK 46er and a Northville-Placid end to ender. I found this site by visiting the ADK 46ers site and have found it very informative. Well, thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself and if anyone is looking for company on the trails give me a yell. Jim

Comment

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Well, let's see...
                In the Fall of '98, right after the birth of our daughter, my wife and I decided that South Florida really wasn't the place to raise a family. It was time to escape. We sold the house, packed up a truck, and moved to NY. We tossed our anchor in the Syracuse area, and hopefully will stay here for a very long time. The pace of life here suites us just fine.

Growing up in South Florida with a moderate sense of adventure found me hiking and fishing and camping and hunting all over the place in the region. They are flat and they usually wet, but the Everglades are incredibly beautiful. The 'Glades are the only thing that I really miss about Florida.

Back in the "olden days" I'd hike or camp or both with great frequency. The "olden days" being those days B.C., before children. A month or so ago, my 8 year old son expressed an interest in going backpacking sometime this summer. That was all it took! The flame was once again re-ignited.

We have yet to take our first father-son backpacking trip, but should very soon. Getting all ready to make a trip has been serious fun, for both my son and myself. We both bought new packs, and we've been reading trail guides, and just generally getting immersed in the idea.

This summer, if any of you wouldn't mind a old man and a well behaved 8 year old tagging along, I'd love the company. The 'Glades I know, this Adirondack stuff is all new to me.

Hope to see y'all on the trail.

Ordin
                They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Comment

Hey fellow outdoor lovers. My name's Martin...obviously. I'm a 26 y.old french canadian(but not from Quebec), so very bilingual. I presently work for our postal service, but am currently in the selection process to be in the RCMP, which is our federal police and is partly comparable to the FBI I guess.

I've always loved the outdoors, but never really had someone to do it with. Yes I did the scout thing for a couple of years and went camping with the parents when younger. But 3.5 years ago I met my ex-girlfriend (weird sentence to say) who was pretty much in the same situation. This got me and her going for good. My first 'Dacks experience was actually while working in a summer camp as camp leader. We brought a bunch of teens to the High Peaks, climbing Dix. Fell in love. Incredible!
                  in the last 3.5 years, I also did some winter camping, snowshoing, kayaking, whitewater and lake canoing and now, recently obsessed with mountain biking. Now I just gotta get myself a bike. That's my goal right now.

Other activies I do are hockey, badminton, golf, tennis and .

Lets hit the trails
                  Who needs a Psych when you have the outdoors.

Comment

Ok, after many month of lurking and then finally "coming out" on the Mile High Club....

I've had a love for the outdoors all my life thanks mainly to my godparents who were avid outdoorsmen. Hunting, fishing, nature walks, hiking...you name it, they did it. And they were in their 60's when I was born.

I grew up outside Gettysburg, PA and spent most of my time either playing sports or being in the outdoors. I went to Lehigh University after high school as a mechanical engineer but came out with a degree in accounting.(difficult to play two sports and still maintain decent grades) After college I moved to Washington DC to work for the federal government. Luckily for me, my job moved me from there to Newark, NJ then into NYC and eventually landing me in Philly. It wasn't until after dealing with the 9/11 aftermath that I realized how my job had become my entire life. A dear friend, and you know who you are, introduced me to the Adirondacks in 2002 and I have been hooked ever since. I'm so hooked, that I'm relocating to Albany in order to be closer. Essentially, getting my life back. While my best buddy(my 11 year old german shepherd), who's seen me through the tough times in my life, is too old to go hiking with me anymore, he still enjoys any kind of outing we make that includes a stream, river or wild critters. I wish that I had discovered the dacks when he was still young enough to enjoy them with me.

I'm enjoying the banter that goes on in the ADK Forum and look forward to meeting some of you out on the trail, or when I get my arse moved up to Albany!
                    "No one truly knows love until he has been loved by a dog."

Comment

My story

I've enjoyed reading your posts. interesting people here, and a few neighbors!

I'm Ron. My wife and I live in Averill Park, NY. We have 3 girls and a boy. All under 12 yrs. old.

I've been hiking the ADKs since i was a kid. I'm a 46er and working on winter. I have some doubts about completing my winter 46 (I'm at 13 now). We also hike as a family.

I've been a minister in Albany for the last 7 years. before that, I served churches in North Carolina and Western, NY. My faith in the God of the Bible is huge for me and affects all parts of my life--even the trail.

Recently, I stepped down from my church duties and have taken on a new role as director of a wilderness camp for boys near Speculator. I attended this camp since I was a kid and it is an awesome opportunity to lead it now! Plus, it is a dream job for anyone who loves the outdoors! I leave for the North today and will be out of internet contact for the summer.

Love this site, even though i am sporadic in my participation.

Comment

I'm brian. I'm 23. I work as a forman for a general contractor. I enjoy almost every activity outdoors. Hiking, Climbing, Rockclimbing,Bouldering, Caving, Kyayking, Mountian Biking. I useally do all this stuff alone, becasue I have such a limited time to do al lthis dtuff that no one I personally know doesn't wantto commit to a full day of fun. I live in the Schenectady area. I go to the adks every weekend and whe nI get tim eoff, and I go to more then just the high peeks.

Comment

At 52, I make it up the Northway from Connecticut once a year and have bagged 15 high peaks since 1998. I had a knee replacement in 2001 which slowed me up. With a lot of rehab it has come around in the past year. Just completed a backpack on the Ridge Trail to Giant over Memorial Day weekend.

My Eagle Scout son encouraged me to hike and we completed two scouting treks in the Adirondacks. I"ve been hooked ever since.

I'm a former prosecutor and now a Superior Court Judge. In that life I gained a lot of weight. Seven years ago the scale hit 275. Thats when I started hiking. I'm down to 220 and counting (and all the vital signs are good again). Walking not only gets me to the great views, it helps me to live.

Comment

Hi All !

It's so nice to hear about different people's lives and experiences here. I guess I'll chime in now as this forum is such a great resource. My name is Chris, 27M, engaged, and have 2 cats... I live near Tully, NY (near Otisco Lake) and work for Onondaga County at the metro wastewater treatment plant in Syracuse. Went to ESF at Syracuse (college of environmental science and forestry) for my BS in env science.

Let's see...I have been going camping in the ADKs and 1000 Islands since I was very young, and began venturing into the high peaks region in about 1998. Hiking all 46 peaks is a goal of mine I guess, (just over 1/2 way there )however it is not an obsession, I figure I will get to them all someday if it's meant to be. (they certainly aren't going anywhere!!) I stay in very good shape and think it's important to live a healthy, active, lifestyle and develope good habits regarding that when you are stilll young.

I grew up in the country in the hills of the finger lakes and have always loved the outdoors and all related activities. I spend my free time backpacking, hiking, mnt biking, fishing, skiing, snowshoing, playing basketball, golf and my guitar and going to see live music. I am the one who is always drving my friends nuts with my love and concern for the environment.

I have hiked in the eagle cap wilderness in eastern Oregon, as well as the Cascade range and the columbia river gorge in OR. I've hiked Mnt St Helens in Wash, and up and down the Grand Canyon and in the finger lakes area here in CNY and I must say that the ADKs are still my favorite. They are some of the most rugged and beautiful climbs you will find anywhere. (although the NW is a very close second! )

I hope to meet many more wonderful people in this forum that share the same interest and passions as I and always love to find hiking partners as it is becoming harder and harder for me to find friends still willing to get up to the Mnts.

"Take what you need and leave the rest"
                            We do not inherit the Earth from our Grandfathers, we borrow it from our Grandchildren.

Comment

a little about me

I am 34 years old and work for integrated marketing in e. syracuse. i have been roaming the adirondacks since i was old enough to walk. had a camp on the edge of the ha-de-ron-dah wilderness and explored its forests incessantly until at 18 i discovered that in the remote ponds large brook trout coulkd be caught. that has been my passion ever since. so my exploration of the park has been largely bushwacking to remote ponds. like the unnamed pond 3/4 NE of upper haymash pond in the pidgeon lake wilderness. awesome fishing. but by far probably the most ...almost spiritual...place in the adirondacks for me is sand lake...the old growth white pine on the esker inspires awe. it is as if verplanck colvin could have been there yesterday...as im sure some of those pines have. i love the adirondacks and so does my spouse. cindy can dress up and be gorgeous and she will also walk up to her mid calf in a bog with my radisson canoe being pounded by punkies and love every minute. see you next weekend my beloved adirondacks!!

Comment

Wow, lots of folks from The Cuse and CNY on this board.

I'm 34, married, and have a 9 week old son. I'm a programmer/analyst and work in downtown Syracuse within sight of the famous Dinosaur BBQ.

My parents took me camping near Tupper Lake when I was 6 weeks old and I've been heading up to the Adks frequently ever since. Over the years we've upgraded from tent camping to a pop-up trailer to a condo to our current family camp in on Fourth Lake in the Old Forge/Inlet area. Try to get up there every other weekend or so during the summer and winter.

I didn't catch the hiking bug until my mid-20's and once I started I finished the 46 peaks over a few summers. I'm about halfway through my second round as I have got a few friends who are also trying to finish their 46.

I am a huge SU basketball fan and play regularly myself.

Mike
                                MD Cuse

Comment

Working...
                                X