Books and Adirondack Related Reading Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books and Adirondack Related Reading Material

Just a quick suggestion I've been thinking about.

I've often thought a topic thread entailing "Books and Reading Material" would be a great addition to this already great forum. Material having to do with the Adirondacks specifically or even any related subjects would be up for discussion, review, or recommendation. These could be books, magazines, guides, maps, articles, etc. As long as it somehow had a connection to the Adirondacks.

If any of you happen to agree maybe you could write a word or two of say so below. Perhaps any moderators or the people who make and implement final forum decisions would be kind enough to weigh in as well.

Just my two cents on something I've thought for some time and have been wanting to bring it up. I believe it could be useful here as many members seem to enjoy reading and learning about the Park.
    Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 12-11-2016, 08:59 AM.

Many good suggestions can be found Here.

Comment

This is a great idea'. I love reading about the adirondacks and its history

Comment

Came out yesterday and is now available directly from Amazon or thru the Rivers End Bookstore in Oswego. A great history of SAR in New York, well written.
        Just in time for Christmas giving (or asking).
        Pioneers: The Story of Oswego County's Search and Rescue Team
        All proceeds go to OCSAR

In the early 1970s, emergency services for someone who was lost were nearly nonexistent in the eastern United States. When a young boy went missing in New York State's Adirondack Mountains in 1971, a chaotic and unsuccessful attempt to find him prompted several people from Upstate New York to form a professional search and rescue team.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I agree that more of this kind of discussion would be nice, but so many of the subforums see little activity as it is that throwing another into the mix runs the risk of increasing the perception that the ADKForum community isn't very active. Perhaps a better option would be to include discussion of books in an already existing subforum, maybe Adirondack History and Folk Lore?

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
            I agree that more of this kind of discussion would be nice, but so many of the subforums see little activity as it is that throwing another into the mix runs the risk of increasing the perception that the ADKForum community isn't very active. Perhaps a better option would be to include discussion of books in an already existing subforum, maybe Adirondack History and Folk Lore?
            Makes sense to me
            ...better to be up a creek without a paddle than to not be on the water at all!

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
              Perhaps you are right, but I keep hearing this strange voice whispering "build it, and they will come". Very strange.

And Justin thanks but...
              Your link doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks Billy & Wldnrs

Comment

...and while I do see your points I respectfully disagree somewhat. Unless the book or material in question specifically has to do with history or folklore I really don't see the posts and discussions I have in mind fitting in that category. Maybe it's my slightly OCD tendencies, but to me it feels sort of like a round peg, square hole type of thing. If the answer is, as you very well may be correct to say, to add all relevant discussions to an established sub-forum, my vote would be for "General" or "By the Fireside".

Also, if the fear is the community appearing stagnant, to me a better solution would be to try and add topic ideas that have the potential to motivate members to get a conversation going. I feel this is a topic both broad and popular enough to do just that and, in turn, could lead to more active discussions among members. If not it would be simple enough to do away with.

As I previously stated it's all just my opinion and it likely has to do greatly with the fact that books, articles and most of the other materials I've mentioned happen to be of particular interest to me and I've noticed many other members who seem to share similar interests. However, based on the relative few number of responses to this thread, perhaps I am off the mark.
                Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 12-15-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X