Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
forest dweller

Adirondack-less long weekend, for lack of someone to go with.

Does ANYBODY else know the horrible feeling of letting a 4 day weekend in the Adirondacks, with a superb weather forecast, slip through your fingers because you didn't have anybody to go with?

That is what happened to me this weekend and I want to make it THE LAST weekend it happens to me.

I have been into backpacking in the Adirondacks for 20 years now, and I recently have gotten into canoe camping.

But I have only ONE friend that does this with me occasionally - I actually met him here on a thread just like this one about 5 or 6 years ago when I was looking for someone to go winter camping with.

Since then we have been out like 15 or 20 times together and I consider him a friend even though we only get together when we do our Adirondack trips.

But he can't go nearly as much as I can, and I get frustrated when I can't find others to go with.

I NEED to find a way to make more friends that like to do this.

I CANNOT waste valuable weekends any more. I cannot waste life and youth anymore.

Some day I hope to do backpacking trips in Yellowstone, Denali and Glacier - and canoe camping trips in remote parts of Ontario - but I won't go as part of a guided thing, I won't PAY somebody to take me (I know what I am doing, for the most part!) I want to go with cool people who are as passionate about forests, mountains, wildlife and wilderness as I am.

For some reason, however, just like there might be thousands of women who might be an ideal match for me scattered across the world, there are thousands of people who I'd see eye-to-eye with and who loves the outdoors the way I do -

but I have failed to cross paths with these people and I fear more of the same -

I know they exist but we haven't met, and it seems as though we may never meet.

I have the gear, the desire, the knowledge and the time, but not the will to go alone. I'm just not comfortable being alone.

So, when the black flies die off, if anyone is willing to take a chance on backpacking with a stranger, feel free to reply to this thread or PM me.

Maybe some day we'll be flying to Montana to explore some remote parts of Glacier National Park together.

And then who knows?

But I can't do this alone and life is going by.

PS - I'm a 33 year old-looking 43 year old! So I'd get along with anyone from 23 to 63 give or take!

PPS - We would probably get along best if you were a major tree hugger!
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

My advice to you would be - never let that stop you from getting out into the backcountry. I've had a similar situation over the years. In my case, family members or a friend accompany me on perhaps 25% of my outings - the rest of the time I go solo and enjoy it just as much and in some cases more. Because for me, much of the reason I'm out there to begin with is the solitude and opportunities to spot and experience wildlife. Those 2 things can be seriously compromised when going with others.

On any serious solo outing I, of course, let others know where I'm going and how long I expect to be out. I know some will advise against going out solo, but I've done it consistently over the years paying due attention to expected weather and other conditions in the area I am visiting.

But that's just me...........sounds like it may not work for you??
Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
jan

Join ADK and go on as many of their outings as you can. You'll meet lots of like minded people and may be able to find some to join you on your trips.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Seeker

go solo.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
forest dweller

Thanks for the replys everyone.

poconoron / seeker, I know what you guys are saying, but I'm just not comfortable with going into the backcountry alone. It's comforting having another person there with you.

Perhaps a black lab would do the trick! I've thought about that, but I live in a very small house and we are out all day - it just wouldn't be nice to do to the dog. If I could make sure the dog was happy and content I'd get one. I know he / she would be happy on the Adirondack trails.

jan, you're probably right. I was a member of a few chapters and I guess I wasn't into a lot of the local stuff they had planned, and if I recall correctly, they only planned day hikes in the Adirondacks - I'm more of a backpacker, or a basecamper and hiker - I like to get up there for days at a time due to how far away it is and how it takes a while to get everything together.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
forest dweller

Get this -

I thought I hit the jackpot when I heard they were opening an REI in Yonkers, NY! I put in an application and I'm currently an employee!

I thought for SURE I was going to meet backpackers!

But ninety-something percent of the people they hired are very young people from the Bronx who had NO IDEA what REI was or what they were about! I don't know WHERE they advertised that they were hiring, but it attracted very few people that are passionate and hardcore about the great outdoors.

I happened to overhear a conversation about REI Yonkers while I was shopping at the REI in Norwalk.

I'm not criticising who they hired, after all part of what they are about is educating people about the outdoors and encouraging people to get outside.

I'm just saying that I thought for sure that most of who they would hire would be hardcore great outdoors people, and that wasn't the case.

Last edited by forest dweller; 05-30-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
yellowcanoe

I am at a loss why you would go backpacking with an Internet meet up person and be so leery of trail people you meet.

I have been soloing for fifteen years and met the nicest people. I have been mugged in the city.

I would rather be out there than walking in a city any day solo.

Do not depend on a dog to keep you out of trouble. Dogs need care and depending on the dog can bring you big four footed trouble. You need to be confident on your own first.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
forest dweller

I'm not leery of trail people that I meet. I can't recall stating that.

Also I wouldn't depend on a dog to keep me out of trouble. I'm not looking for anyone or anything to keep me out of trouble. I'm looking for companionship - someone or something cool to hang out with and have conversations with, while doing something we both love to do. A really cool dog might fit the bill perfectly!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

A dog works for me real well. No complaints and always eager to do what I want to do - what more can you ask for?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
forest dweller

Yeah, as soon as I feel that I have the right conditions at home to make a dog happy and content I intend to get one - then he'll / she'll be the best hiking companion one could ever hope for.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
forest dweller

So, do I have any new friends to go backpacking with or canoe camping with once the black flies fade away?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
crkmeup

The suggestion to join the Adk and go on some trips is a good one, better maybe to lead the trips. Most chapters don't have enough people willing to lead. You can also attend trips in different chapters. Niagara has 3 trips posted. I would take a pm but no promises on going as my summer
Plans are getting full.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
So, do I have any new friends to go backpacking with or canoe camping with once the black flies fade away?

I like to think we are all friends here.
We all have a passion for, and a love for recreating in the Adirondacks.
Whenever you want to go, just let us know.
Maybe post something in the "Event Planning & Meets" section and see what happens.
That's how a few of us have first gotten together in the past anyway.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
colden46

Whereabouts do you live? Knowing that, perhaps we can recommend some local groups to get involved with.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
forest dweller

I live downstate in Westchester County.

Thing is - I'm astronomically more interested in 4 day backpacking trips in the Adirondacks than Sunday strolls at Harriman State Park!

Sunday strolls will be in NYC with my son; eating great food, checking out record stores and people watching!

I guess I'm specifically looking for casual leisurely multiday backpackers and canoe / kayak campers, hikers not so much!

Unless someone wants to combine backpacking and hiking and needs a partner to become a 46er - that I could be interested in!

I've only got about a dozen or so under my belt and I'd start completely over in the right situation with some cool people.

Last edited by forest dweller; 06-15-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
Edb 46 er

Sounds complicating. You need to get in touch with the right folks, I backpack alone for a few days at a time just below Old Forge and some of the High Peaks, this fall I will be planning a 3 day hike.

Last edited by Edb 46 er; 07-31-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
Irvina

How old is your son? Our dauther was 4 when we took her into her first 3 days kayak trip on the Delawar river. Now at age 6 she has about 5 trips under belt. Not counting car camping here: we started taking her when she was less then 1 year old. May your son IS the partner.
Irvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Sounds complicating. You need to get in touch with the right folks, I backpack alone for a few days at a time just below Old Forge and some of the High Peaks, this fall I will be planning a 3 day hike.
I'm doing a 6 to 8 day backpacking or canoe camping / backpacking combo trip during the first week of October - anyone interested?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvina View Post
How old is your son? Our dauther was 4 when we took her into her first 3 days kayak trip on the Delawar river. Now at age 6 she has about 5 trips under belt. Not counting car camping here: we started taking her when she was less then 1 year old. May your son IS the partner.
My son is 20 and I fear he will not be the nature-loving, go-live-in-the-woods-for-days-at-a-time type - at least he isn't yet and he definitely won't be if I force him.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Edb 46 er

Where you headed on this trip, Cranberry area?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote