Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Schip

Good Luck Lake Paddle

Hello All,

Last Tuesday I decided to try a paddle to Good Luck Lake. I didn't bring a dog because it was just too hot. They got to stay home in the AC. It took me about 50 minutes to get to the put-in. I put the boat in the water about 9:30 am and it was already very hot. It truly was a glorious day in spite of the heat.

The sky was a dazzling blue and full of pretty puffy clouds. The put-in area was a riot of colorful wildflowers and the birds were singing their little hearts out. First I chose to paddle downstream on the serene West Branch Sacadaga. I was fascinated by the water grass, brilliant green and swirling a bit below the surface. The pictures don't do it justice. I tried to go into Chub Lake, but the channel was blocked by a beaver dam. I just wasn't up to climbing over it in that heat. So I continued downstream until I got to anther beaver dam. Then I decided to turn around and head upstream to my true destination. I passed under the bridge over the river and stopped to watch the swallows and their nests. I got to see an adult feed its babies. Score!!

The channel leading to Good Luck Lake was so narrow in parts that I gave up paddling and just pulled myself through using the branches of the bushes overhanging the water. Soon it widened and I got expansive views of the lake and Good Luck Mt. I found a nice sandy beach which made a perfect spot for a late breakfast. I was very hot and it was so refreshing to jump in and take a swim. The water was warm! I am used to swimming in the Great Sacandaga Lake and it is much colder. After lunch, I continued on around the lake. I explored what I think might be the outlet to Spectacle Lake, but I couldn't get very far. Then I had to head back.

I so enjoyed this outing. (Don't tell my dogs.) I didn't see another person the whole time and even the bugs cut me a break. Merry Sunshine didn't though, and I ended up with a nasty sunburn despite frequent and copious applications of SPF 30 sunscreen. Oh well, it was worth it.

I am trying out amazon prime photos. Here is a link to the photo album. Please let me know if you can view the pics.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/album/...SIeg8Mis4SWQXg

Kath

Last edited by Schip; 07-05-2018 at 09:03 PM..
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

Sounds like an awesome trip!

That river grass is mesmerizing.

I can't see the pictures as Amazon sends me to my "non-created" photo account.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

A great report! Perfect way to spend a hot day. I couldn't view the photos either, but your descriptions painted a vivid mental picture.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
jan

Nice report. I couldn't see the pictures, even after I signed in to my Prime account. It just wanted me to create an album.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

very nice TR, really like the swallows feeding the babies part. chub is a nice paddle but can be a struggle to get over the 3' high beaver dam, and then stay in the right channel to get to the lake. spectacle and goodluck don't flow into one another, they are in different watersheds. and i cannot see your pics either, and i have a prime acct....
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
Schip

New Photo Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip!

That river grass is mesmerizing.

I can't see the pictures as Amazon sends me to my "non-created" photo account.
OK, I had to do an extra step with my prime photo album to get a link to share. So try this one and let me know. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...6a4Ufu6wVI5Dyv

Kath
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Tick Magnet

Huzzah!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Hoorah! very nice pics!
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I am able to see the pictures too, they look great. Thanks for the trip report.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
pigpen

Awesome! Love your trip reports, they inspire me to maybe share and post some pics of my outings. I highly recommend checking out the cliffs beyond the lake next time you are in the area and when its not 100 degrees
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
Schip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Awesome! Love your trip reports, they inspire me to maybe share and post some pics of my outings. I highly recommend checking out the cliffs beyond the lake next time you are in the area and when its not 100 degrees
I'm glad you enjoy my TRs. Yes, you should post some stuff of your own. I have done the cliffs, back when I was in better shape.:-)

Kath
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
pigpen

you are one the few that are keeping this forum going. i cannot complain because i never post anything but i just wanted to say that you are awesome and keep doing what youre doing!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
potterhomestead

thanks for the trip report & photos

hi schip-
great trip report, enjoyed the photos. i am hoping to get into good luck and beyond to spectacle lake the week of july 16. it's a great paddle and adventure to spectacle. how many beaver dams did you encounter? the water level looks quite high in your photos, was it?
sorry to hear that the forum might be losing interest for some...i so enjoy everyone's trip reports! darn!
potterhomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Schip

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterhomestead View Post
hi schip-
great trip report, enjoyed the photos. i am hoping to get into good luck and beyond to spectacle lake the week of july 16. it's a great paddle and adventure to spectacle. how many beaver dams did you encounter? the water level looks quite high in your photos, was it?
sorry to hear that the forum might be losing interest for some...i so enjoy everyone's trip reports! darn!
I didn't encounter any beaver dams going upstream from the put-in to Good Luck Lake. I only encountered one going downstream into Chub Lake and onethe West Branch Sacandaga. There may be more, but I didn't want to pull over them, so I turned around.

I didn't go to Spectacle Lake. I don't think you can paddle to it. I think you have to carry in.

Glad you liked the report.

Kath
Old 07-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
potterhomestead

yes, it's around a mile into spectacle on a fairly level trail, worth the effort!
potterhomestead is offline   Reply With Quote