Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #41
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Since Neil split this drift from/with my quote, does that place an onus on me to reply?

Neil, if you tell me where that hallucinogenic water source is, and how you can tell it apart without tasting that might be a good business opportunity.

Sourcing clear (non turbid) water allows oneself to treat it with UV / iodine / boil without having to filter the 'muck' (protozoa, sediment and other "wildlife") out of it first. The taste is usually immeasurably better also.

Hypochondriacs should carry their water in, though those plastic bottles usually contain micro plastics. (pick your poison)

FWIW, I've had far more instances of gastrointestinal problems with restaurant food than with spring water sourced from the woods.

In the end what you elect to do is (thankfully, still) up to you.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #42
Colter
Colter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
...Past experience working in Public Health informs me that this is an almost sure ticket to a case of Giardia. There is no "safe water" flowing overland or coming out of the ground...
True. People often get a way with it, but there's no way of knowing if it's safe before drinking it. Thus, it's not safe water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
How common was it in the not too recent past along back roads to see a pipe sticking out of a slope with "clean" water flowing out of it. Often with a couple of cars waiting with empty jugs to fill. Many of those I remember have since been removed...
For good reason:
A more intensive follow-up study in 2014-2015 on ten of the 37 [PA]roadside springs found that they consistently failed drinking water standards throughout the year, including some presence of both Giardia and Cryptosporidium cysts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Slimmer's article was very firmly refuted in Adirondack Peeks magazine by Brendan Wiltse, Ph.D, Science and Stewardship director, Certified Lake manager, NALMS.
Dr. Wiltse states that while it is difficult to quantify the risk of infection it is easy to manage the risk...
Dr. Wiltse is right. Schlimmer's article should not be taken seriously. He has no expertise in the field. Anyone can cherry pick evidence and come up with any result they want. He has simply repackaged Welch's debunked research.

Here's how the CDC responded to Welch: Although the advice to universally filter and disinfect backcountry drinking water to prevent disease has been debated, the health consequences of ignoring that standard water treatment advice have been documentedÖ

Dr. Welch made up the "fact" that most backcountry giardiasis infections can be traced to poor hand hygiene. As far as I know, 100% of CDC verified backcountry giardiasis outbreaks have been traced to water. Giardiasis is primarily a waterborne pathogen in any case.

I've collected most of the pertinent scientific studies here.
Colter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #43
rachelsdad

I've been drinking for years from the pipe in Harrisville until it stopped flowing last year, best tasting water I've ever drank. Never thought there would be an issue, who knew. Drank from a lot of pipes in Southern Italy too.

Funny, I used the iodine pills for quite a while. Bought 2 sets at one time, one in emergency kit, one in pack lid, which lasted me a few years. Only later did I discover they were useless a few months after opening.

Must be the good bourbon.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #44
serotonin
ember

Sounds like a common case of Beneficial Bourbon Bacteria in the gut.

Sometimes better than an Iron Rod through the eyeball, brain, and cranium.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #45
rachelsdad

yup!

Basile Hayden was no dummy...(the man on the label of Old Grand Dad).
Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #46
TCD

Years ago an coworker had posted on his office wall this little doggerel:

"Put a worm in water, it will swim.
Put a worm in whiskey, it will drown.
Drink whiskey and you won't get worms."
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #47
adirondackcamper

My preferred method for drinking water in the Adirondacks is to stick a large straw right down into the beaver lodge and drink away. Purest water on the planet. I’m kidding of course. Don’t do this kids
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #48
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackcamper View Post
My preferred method for drinking water in the Adirondacks is to stick a large straw right down into the beaver lodge and drink away. Purest water on the planet. Iím kidding of course. Donít do this kids
That has to give a whole new meaning to "Explorers of the Wild"!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #49
wiiawiwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
While not a guarantee of never having a mishap, maintaining a very high level of fitness, balance, coordination and strength is safer than traveling with a group. 4 people have 4 times the probability of someone sustaining an immobilizing injury than a solo hiker.
I hike alone almost all of the time. Having said that, in your example the group of four where one becomes immobilized have a lot more options than the solo hiker who becomes immobilized and may be at the end of his rope.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #50
adirondackcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
That has to give a whole new meaning to "Explorers of the Wild"!

Absolutely
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote