Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Elbow

Long Lake area small game?

Going to hunt deer in the Long Lake area this year, wondering what the small game populations are, especially grouse and hare? Any imfoon the area especially this area appreciated.
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Stillhunter

I saw or heard drumming of around 6 birds while deer hunting this year in the town of Long Lake but in the southern part of the township. The numbers seemed a little down but would consider them plentiful enough to hunt. One bird presented a nice easy going away shot had I been carrying the bird gun.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Mallard1100

Tons of grouse around my camp area in long lake. I think we are on a down swing for there cycle because I see less birds every year while deer hunting. 5 years ago I could walk 1/4 mile on our access road and flush close to 20 birds just hanging around the road. Multiple 2,3 and 4 bird flushes. No exaggeration.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
Elbow

How anout snowshoe hares in the area?
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
mphilli2

This isn't specific to the Long Lake area, but in regard to what Mallard1100 has noticed about the grouse population. According to the DEC (see link below) the grouse population has declined 70% since 1960s. In addition to factors mentioned by DEC below, apparently grouse are being hit by West Nile virus these days, according to more than one wildlife agency in the North East.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/48393.html
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilli2 View Post
This isn't specific to the Long Lake area, but in regard to what Mallard1100 has noticed about the grouse population. According to the DEC (see link below) the grouse population has declined 70% since 1960s. In addition to factors mentioned by DEC below, apparently grouse are being hit by West Nile virus these days, according to more than one wildlife agency in the North East.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/48393.html
West Nile virus , they have to be kidding ? Grouse need open crown and good understory for nesting to flourish. I’d be willing to bet, lower grouse population has more to do with climax forest preserve type and predation. Plus , I’d also bet, that on private land inside the park where there are SFI and FSC managed forest, the grouse population is better. The other factor is predation, you can’t have high predators populations and expect to have lots of grouse, or hare. In the 60’s ,Tug Hill used to have high hare and grouse populations . Back then the only viable predators here were bobcats , raccoon and fox. DDT had knocked down the raptors, and the coyote was just showing up, Fisher were not reintroduced until the mid 60,s.
Today take a walk in the forest here, most of the tracks in the snow you
encounter are predators, like coyotes , Fisher, weasel, grey fox, ( red fox have been killed off by coyotes) mink, otter, raccoon ,skunk ,and still a few bobcats, and now even pine marten . Throw in the recovered raptor population including bald eagles,
And one wonders how a grouse or hare survive at all ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
mphilli2

Article about grouse decline and studies regarding possible impact of West Nile:

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/U...e-News_PGC.pdf
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote