Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Mapsource and grid lines.

I can't visualize grid lines when working in Mapsource (or if I print a map) and can find nothing in any of the menus that would indicate that grid lines can be turned "on and off" as in Topo! Am I missing something obvious?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I don't think mapsource uses gridlines Neil......

I only use it for uploading the maps, I use NG Topo for planning routing, downloading tracks, etc.

Actually the only reason i have it is because i have to in order to put maps in the gps. beyond that it's useless as far as I am concerned for topo work. The metroguide is useful for highway and city routing.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

I've been using Mapsource Canada for off-trail hikes in Quebec and although it is better than nothing it doesn't come any where near NG Topo, that's for sure.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I've been using Mapsource Canada for off-trail hikes in Quebec and although it is better than nothing it doesn't come any where near NG Topo, that's for sure.
I take it NG doesn't have anything for Canada? What about paper?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

I carry a paper map (1:50 000) for most of my bushwhacking in Quebec. But on a recent hike I was going to an area for which I had no paper maps so I printed one from Mapsource.

I often leave my gps at home when bwking in Quebec but after seeing what came out of the printer I decided to carry it on that hike.

There are CDN programs that are equivalent in quality to Topo! but I was thinking of getting by just with Mapsource.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Grayelve
Carry On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I carry a paper map (1:50 000) for most of my bushwhacking in Quebec. But on a recent hike I was going to an area for which I had no paper maps so I printed one from Mapsource.

I often leave my gps at home when bwking in Quebec but after seeing what came out of the printer I decided to carry it on that hike.

There are CDN programs that are equivalent in quality to Topo! but I was thinking of getting by just with Mapsource.
Neil Just a few days ago on ebay I'm pretty sure I saw Topo US with Canada for bidding or a reasonable price and have seen Canada Topo there seperately. Do a search on ebay, You might luck out.
Grayelve is offline   Reply With Quote