Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2004, 12:03 AM   #81
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

I found a few more good ones.
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #82
'Dukes
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber2971w
When we went to climb Kathadin about 10 years ago, we'd watch the Moose at night at a nearby pond.
Amazing pic. We've seen some up in Newcomb.
That's a whole lot of animal; stand clear.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #83
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Couple of brooktrout caught on the first day of summer 2004. Male and Female are natives, caught within the same hour in a small Adirondack pond. No catch & release THIS time.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #84
wildbrookies

Nice big brookies Pondhopper.Its nice to know there are still big natives still in those ponds.Hope to get some like that some day before I get too old to get back in those places.Male has a nice kyped jaw.Bet the colors were alot better live.Beautiful fish,they are!

wildbrookies p.s....thanks for sharing those pics.Next best thing to being there.
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #85
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies
Nice big brookies Pondhopper.Its nice to know there are still big natives still in those ponds.Hope to get some like that some day before I get too old to get back in those places.Male has a nice kyped jaw.Bet the colors were alot better live.Beautiful fish,they are!

wildbrookies p.s....thanks for sharing those pics.Next best thing to being there.
Hey, nice compliment, wildbrookies. Don't worry, they're out there! A dozen yrs. ago, or so, 18 inchers were considered large. I actually caught 3 last year that were longer than those, but I released them. Caught several more in the same size range (released), some on that same day as the ones in the picture......waddaday!

The fishing in the ADKs has drastically improved in the last several yrs., many ponds have em' in that size range NOW...B-I-O-N !
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
Old 01-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #86
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper
Couple of brooktrout caught on the first day of summer 2004. Male and Female are natives, caught within the same hour in a small Adirondack pond. No catch & release THIS time.
Yowza! Nice fish. And hey, if a pond can sustain natives of that size, nothing wrong with keeping a couple.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #87
ken999

Pondhopper- Nice fish...Maybe someday I'll get lucky and get some that size! What makes you think that they were natives?
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #88
serotonin
ember

Pondhopper-
Where can I get one of those miniature tape measures?
...And I'll need one of those miniature fly rods too.

Nice Fish!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #89
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999
Pondhopper- Nice fish...Maybe someday I'll get lucky and get some that size! What makes you think that they were natives?
<hmmm...clever...potentially a loaded question in an attempt to narrow down probable locations and obtain "target area". Judging by Kens and CWs demonstration of knowledge on previous threads: A reply containing any info, could be analyzed, refined and assimilated (by using external & internal sources) to end up with less than a dozen probable sources...further logic could be applied to narrow it down further. I know I could....for an offhand example: Ken mentioned in a past thread that he carried his canoe 6.5 miles= I have a good idea where that was.... End of thought>

Err....umm......ah.....oh, I don't know Ken......They don't stock Siamese Pond, do they? (heh heh)

Thanks for the compliments everybody. Feel a little guilty about keeping them. They're goin on the wall: " Adirondack Brooktrout 'Mama & Papa' ".
Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #90
ken999

...just asking...

...so I take it the pond you caught those in would not be on the stocking list...

(...Ken starts his over-analyzing process....)

They are a couple'a beauties. I've been into Siamese before at ice out. We caught some nice Rainbows (or as the late Don Byrd would say...spotted carp) and a couple of Lakers, but no Brookies. Why they stock those lakes with Rainbows I have no idea.

I questioned a fisheries guy about keeping larger fish, if it effected the fishery, and his response was keep'em. Only 25% of Adk ponds are capable of self sustaining populations. If your fishing a "stocked" pond, chances are there is no reproduction going on. That said, I keep a fish or two for dinner, and I will keep a mounter someday, but as a rule if they are not foul hooked, they go back. For myself a BIG part of the experience is sitting around a campfire while eating a tasty Brookie.
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #91
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Not as fat

Here's another one from last summer. Hooked it bad. 22 1/4 incher, yardstick's out of position. Different pond, skinnier fish. I forgot about it, until I was looking at my pictures today- and realized it was a totally different fish from the other 2.

Last edited by pondhopper; 01-15-2005 at 08:29 PM..
Old 01-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #92
TahawusLand&CattleCo

It is winter now let's talk HARD WATER. Lost the biggest brown of my life today. Stuck my arm down the hole to my elbow (what was I thinking?). Kept a nice rainbow and returned the small lakers yesterday. PLENTY of perch fillets in the freezer. Have enough trout for the smoker now. (Location of trout catches withheld for your own safety).
Haven't been on Schroon Lake yet. South end froze over yesterday and I'm sure the lake was moaning today.
TahawusLand&CattleCo is offline   Reply With Quote