Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Bkgphoto

Bog River flow questions

My wife and I are looking to do a 2 night trip on the Bog river flow this weekend. We are hoping to put in early Saturday morning and take out before lunch on Monday. We are both new to kayak camping. What is the best put in/take out for this? How far can we realistically expect to go in that time, how likely will we be to get a camping site? I like the idea of being able to pull off hike and explore as well as being mostly sheltered from the wind and away from motor boats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bkgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Lucky13

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/75295.html
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mar...grivflomap.pdf
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...f/bogriver.pdf

There was at one time a map showing the campsite locations, but the link appears to be broken.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The only public launch (at least without extensive walking) is the one at the lower dam, just south of Horseshoe Lake (and below Hitchins Pond). From here it's a pretty straightforward paddle west. You'll have to carry at the Upper Dam, but it's a super short carry so even if it takes 10 trips back and forth to get your canoe and gear over it usually doesn't take long.

If you get an early start on day 1, you should be able to paddle most (if not all) of the way to the main lake from the Lower Dam. Wind usually isn't a major issue until you get to the main lake, either.

I'd probably recommend trying to get one of the sites near the islands on the east end of the main lake. Be aware, though, that with a Saturday start you may find the nicest sites already occupied. I'd be moderately surprised if every site was occupied, but I don't doubt that you'll need to check a few to find an open open so planning your timing accordingly.

Alternatively, if you're willing to paddle further, I always really liked the Grass Pond area on the north end of the lake. There's some nice tent sites here, and you've got access to the hiking trail to Fishpole and Darning Needle Ponds.

Be aware that the scout camp on the lake does have the right to use motor boats on the lake, but this late in the season it's probably not likely that you'll see any.

As far as hiking, there's not a whole lot of options. There is the aforementioned trail from Grass Pond to Fishpole and Darning Needle Ponds (and eventually all the way to Cranberry Lake if you're looking for a longer hike). On the west end of the lake is the carry trail to Big Deer Pond. From here you can either hike further west into the heart of the Five Ponds Wilderness all the way to the headwaters of the Oswegatchie River, or north to Cowhorn Pond. There's also the Hitchins Overlook Trail, a somewhat short trail from the upper dam up to a set of rock ledges overlooking Hitchins Pond (this could be a good one to hit up on your paddle out on Monday).

I hope this helps. Good luck!
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Bkgphoto

Thank you for the detailed response. The other trip I was looking at was the Oswegatchie to the falls. In your opinion which would be more enjoyable? How are the bugs this time of year.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

There’s a great very easy informal path up grass pond mt
Includes some rock scrambles and takes a short time with fantastic views
In your kayaks you’ll have no issue with wind
The trees should be approaching peak color too
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
TrailBlaser

If you go as far as the main lake I'd recommend paddling along the north shore until you find a site you like. This positions you to continue on to Grass Pond if you wish. There is a flagged trail up Grass Pond Mt., which on a clear day, will give you a panoramic view of the area. You can access the start of the trail off the road, near where it crosses the stream at the base of the mountain behind site #25. Most people land at end of the bay that site 25 is in and walk the road until they get to the start of the trail. I also like to go over to the south shore and do a paddle around the large floating bog, which has a variety of plant life on it. BTW, my profile photo is taken from the beach at site #21 on the north shore of the main lake. It can be a windy site (good in bug season), but has a great view of the lake.

Last edited by TrailBlaser; 09-23-2019 at 01:19 PM..
TrailBlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
bridgeman

Just got back from there yesterday. We went in Friday morning and there were a lot of cars along the road. we passed several vacant sites along the way, since we wanted to get further out on Lows. Ended up at Boones Landing which was unoccupied. The signs may lead people to believe that you need a permit to camp there. Appears that June-August is the period that you would need a permit. Mileage wise, it was 9 miles to Boones, which with sitting on the bottom of a Hornbeck, was enough for me. When we got out Sunday afternoon, there wasn't 10 cars left at the launch. I figure peak leaves will be in two weeks. With the late moon rise last weekend, the stars were incredible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lows.jpg (126.4 KB, 100 views)
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Hi, bkgphoto--I have not canoed on the Bog River flow but the Oswegatchie is beautiful and I have been to High Falls twice. Your timeframe is doable but there are usually a number of beaver dams that you would have to either run, if the water is high enough, or get out of your kayak and carry over. There is one spot (near the trail to Five Ponds) that we had to carry around, maybe 50 yards. If you are comfortable getting in and out of kayaks and climbing over a beaver dam, or maybe 3 or 4, you would be fine. There is always the chance of getting wet when climbing in/out of your boat. Have a great trip, whichever you choose.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
There is a flagged trail up Grass Pond Mt., which on a clear day, will give you a panoramic view of the area.
Any such flagged trail is very unofficial and nonconforming. For a time certain BSA leaders were placing flags but they have been told to stop. Whenever I go up there, which is at least once a year, I often come home with a pocket full of colored tape trash. The easy route up is obvious if you have and can read a topo map, (hint just follow the ridge from site #29.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Bkgphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Just got back from there yesterday. We went in Friday morning and there were a lot of cars along the road. we passed several vacant sites along the way, since we wanted to get further out on Lows. Ended up at Boones Landing which was unoccupied. The signs may lead people to believe that you need a permit to camp there. Appears that June-August is the period that you would need a permit. Mileage wise, it was 9 miles to Boones, which with sitting on the bottom of a Hornbeck, was enough for me. When we got out Sunday afternoon, there wasn't 10 cars left at the launch. I figure peak leaves will be in two weeks. With the late moon rise last weekend, the stars were incredible.
One of the reasons we are going this weekend is because of the new moon. Canít wait!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
Bkgphoto

Any chance of moose in the bog river flow area?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

This is the view from Hitchins Ridge

Here's the view from the open peak on Grass Pond Mt

More Grass Pond pics here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YMEMSMaji3R7wUja6
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Just got back from there yesterday. We went in Friday morning and there were a lot of cars along the road. we passed several vacant sites along the way, since we wanted to get further out on Lows. Ended up at Boones Landing which was unoccupied. The signs may lead people to believe that you need a permit to camp there. Appears that June-August is the period that you would need a permit.
Note, by agreement between the BSA and the DEC, Boones Landing and Moose Bay, and the eastern islands (Pole, Frying Pan, Scout) are reserved for BSA use only during June-August. Gooseneck is always off limits to non scouters.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #14
Woodly

Beautiful views on both photos but that first photo is just plain stunning Stripperguy.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #15
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I made my first visit to Bog River Flow last month and had a very pleasant time. I was in a canoe, and I imagine you'd probably go faster in kayaks. I spent about 3+ hours in actually paddling out from my campsite on the main lake on the morning I left, so it should be feasible to get back to your car before lunchtime. I really liked both of the mountains in Stripperguy's pictures, they're easy climbs and the views are so nice. I haven't been on the Oswegatchie so I can't compare them but I'm sure it's nice too.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #16
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Any such flagged trail is very unofficial and nonconforming. For a time certain BSA leaders were placing flags but they have been told to stop. Whenever I go up there, which is at least once a year, I often come home with a pocket full of colored tape trash. The easy route up is obvious if you have and can read a topo map, (hint just follow the ridge from site #29.
I don't know who put the flags there, but they were there in early August. I don't touch flags, as who knows if the DEC were the ones who put them there.

Last edited by TrailBlaser; 09-24-2019 at 12:14 AM..
TrailBlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 PM   #17
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
I don't know who put the flags there, but they were there in early August. I don't touch flags, as who knows if the DEC were the ones who put them there.
I can assure you, the DEC did not. I removed a pile of them in June. There are certain locations to be specially protected in and near that area.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

When the DEC uses flagging, they usually write on said flagging in sharpie to indicate what the flagging is marking (although it may be some sort of shorthand that is meaningless to hikers). Every DEC employee learns sooner or later to do this, after the first time their official flagging was removed by a well-intentioned visitor to forest preserve lands.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
Wldrns

When I use DEC flagging during SAR incidents, I write my name, my crew number, sweep number, time, and date on each flag. Each crew boss is instructed to do the same. Earlier in the day, rangers will deliniate assigned search blocks and access trails the same way.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #20
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
When I use DEC flagging during SAR incidents, I write my name, my crew number, sweep number, time, and date on each flag. Each crew boss is instructed to do the same. Earlier in the day, rangers will deliniate assigned search blocks and access trails the same way.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-24-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote