Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #141
EagleCrag

Another great video as usual Bio. The hunt is all about the quest. Each year you learn a little more about the area and where you are more likely to run into ole mossey horns. Maybe next year will be the year.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #142
Mallard1100

Great video! We had similar results and just missed the snow as well. Tons of sign but the weather was just way to warm. Not even a tail..... always an adventure though. Can't wait until next year.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #143
chaser
pond jockey

Bio, Great video Your camp sure eats a whole lot better than mine!! Will you continue to hunt the same country next year with the lack of deer sighting?? Thanks for the entertainment!!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #144
bioguide

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Now mind you I did tag a buck in Nov 2015 from this area and Larry had a shot at another: https://youtu.be/hvZpquU9Mfw?t=485

We also got at least 5 different bucks on cameras this past year and I've been photographing that 8 or 10 pointer for 3 years now. So, we'll likely be back in the same area with plans to expand out to some new/old trodden areas. I'm also thinking I'm going spend an overnight once or twice up on that mountain and work my way down ever so slowly the following mornings. Oh the planning...
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #145
Stillhunter

Bioguide, I was hoping you would reply with something like that. Many Adirondack hunters did not see or do much that week. Not until the week leading into Thanksgiving and the snows fell. You are just one hunt away from running smack dab into a real good one. I did not get back up until the Monday after Thanksgiving and the snow was melting away fast, then it rained as well. Got a little snow on Friday / Sat but never cut a fresh buck track on the days there was old snow left. There were a few decent old tracks in my area so I know he will be there next year. It can't come soon enough.

Your saga is providing enjoyment for many as we analyze our season. I am impressed with your drive to get in there with the boat and camping gear every season and doing it alone many times. Keep it up. It is going to happen real soon. Once you get some snow they will show you where they are hiding during the day! He probably has a little bench up near the top of the ridge where he feels safe while looking down on his kingdom. The breeze brings the scent of potential danger to his perch and then he is gone in a flash...
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #146
Buckladd

I'm not sure how big or how far the mountain is from your base camp, or if your photos are day and/or night. But I think any time during the pre-rut you'll find the bucks up high most of the day and maybe not so much once they start chasing does, unless they're pushed. Perhaps if you can get up high from your base camp and spend a good part of the day there your chances will be the same? Hunting time is so precious, especially on such trips.

We have a very big mountain in one of our hunting areas that we usually don't get to until late morning. We took three good bucks off it this year and either missed or let three smaller ones go. We caught the big boys up high early in the season but by Nov. 12 until around Thanksgiving (and snow) they were down near the swamps with the does. Then all the deer headed back up the mountain once they felt some pressure.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #147
Cpswing555

The buck my friend got was running about 3/4 way up when I picked up his track around two o'clock. And my other friend was in hot pursuit of one up on the top during the same time. Our other pal who stayed down low didn't see much at all. Weird how it all works. Anyway, great video Bio. Some awesome shots. I especially like the one at the end motoring out in the snow. Keep up the excellent work.
CP
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #148
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
We caught the big boys up high early in the season but by Nov. 12 until around Thanksgiving (and snow) they were down near the swamps with the does. Then all the deer headed back up the mountain once they felt some pressure.
Yep. I killed mine on 10 Nov down low next to a stream chasing a doe. about 10 days later our camp killed three more in, or close to, one big swamp and missed/wounded two more monsters.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #149
Buckladd

Fly Rodder: I put just as much time in swamps as I do hills, at least when I hunt on my own. Like my friend Randy Flannery says, "The thicker the quicker, the wetter the better."
Old 01-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #150
Stillhunter

My plan goes something like this:
1. Start higher on the ridges in the early season when it is warmer and before the rut is on.
2. Once the seeking / chasing part of rut is underway they will be moving around during the day to check on the does so I like to hunt where the does are. Many times this is in the green stuff.
3. Once the snow comes I like to hunt for a decent buck track and then hunt the buck who is making it.
They seem to appear when you are not ready and least expecting it!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #151
wildbrookies

Yet another great video! Really enjoyed it ,its not always about the kill though. I enjoy each and every day I get up north with the rifle. And,these days ,its becoming fewer and fewer. I know it must be frustrating ,given those cam photos and rubs and scrapes from a few nice bucks, but hang in there and listen to Stillhunters words of wisdom. I was told the same words from my old Uncle Mike who ,knows those mountains and the deer very well. Him being in the CCC`s, it taught him their ways!
Loved all you share with us!And wish you success next year! Those slammers will still be there.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #152
serotonin
ember

Now he's picking up the skulls
and making a circle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JBgqJcr-eg
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #153
Buckladd

'Not sure if you guys know who Joe DiNitto is, but last night I went to his annual winter hunter's party over near Remsen. Five of us from Washington County came out together. Maybe some of you were there. Anyway, there were a lot of nice Adirondack racks on the table from this past season. I wish I had one to share. But talking with Joe, Jim Massett and some other guys really got my blood going. I had a real good time and also finally got a copy of the ADK Tracker's book. They'll be up at the Yankee Classic near Burlington next weekend.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #154
Cpswing555

If they get down towards the southern tier and anyone here's of it please post. I saw some interviews with the three of them and would love the opportunity to pick their brains in person. I will be ordering the book if Mr. Ladd says it's worth it.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #155
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I bought the book when it first came out in Sept. I couldn't put it down once I stared to read it. I let a friend read it an he said the same thing. It is full of pictures most of them in color. Great reading

http://adktrackers.com/about/

Last edited by Cold River Bob; 01-16-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #156
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
I bought the book when it first came out in Sept. I couldn't put it down once I stared to read it. I let a friend read it an he said the same thing. It is full of pictures most of them in color. Great reading

http://adktrackers.com/about/
I haven't had a chance to read it yet as I just got it Saturday night. But knowing those guys and from what I've seen of the book I don't think any serious Adirondack deer hunter will be disappointed. They are doing some shows, I'm just not sure how far south they're getting.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #157
Stillhunter

I have the book and enjoyed it. I recommend it for anyone interested in Adirondack deer hunting. I like the larger format. It makes a nice camp coffee table book with plenty of pictures to entertain.

Hi Buckladd... when is the Adirondack Deer Camp Documentary video project coming out? Have not heard much lately and the link on your website is no longer working.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #158
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post

Hi Buckladd... when is the Adirondack Deer Camp Documentary video project coming out? Have not heard much lately and the link on your website is no longer working.
It is in the hands of Ndakina. I wish I could tell you more. I have a lot of time invested in that project. I'll check the link.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #159
Stillhunter

Buckladd,
Thanks for providing the status of the Deer Camp video project. I hope that Ndakinna / Greenfield Literary Center are serious about releasing the Adirondack deer camp documentary. It will be a historical and culturally significant work. I glanced at the Ndakinna website and there isn't any indication that they are supportive of hunting and its place in Adirondack culture that I could see. Hopefully it will be released soon. Time will tell.
Hats off to you and all who have worked on it.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #160
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Buckladd,
Thanks for providing the status of the Deer Camp video project. I hope that Ndakinna / Greenfield Literary Center are serious about releasing the Adirondack deer camp documentary. It will be a historical and culturally significant work. I glanced at the Ndakinna website and there isn't any indication that they are supportive of hunting and its place in Adirondack culture that I could see. Hopefully it will be released soon. Time will tell.
Hats off to you and all who have worked on it.
Thanks. I believe the project will get done at some point. I was not aware they let the website expire. The Facebook page is still up, in fact, I've been one of the administrators: 'https://www.facebook.com/Adirondack-Deer-Camp-146756845366945/