Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 AM   #81
Gman

I thought we were doing these on sz. 10 hooks?

I did the Ausable Bomber. A #10 is a little small for Hexes which is what I had in mind but they'll work. The Adirondack pond Hexes are a lot darker and half the size of the Hexes here on the St. Lawrence. Yes the St. Lawrence at least here in the 1000 Islands gets a HUGE Hex hatch. Some nights it looks like we got a inch of snow.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #82
wildbrookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Either streamer OR 'fits on a #10 hook', tyers' choice.

Final answer
Guess, this threw me off. I thought I could tie any streamer . I consider the Sirloin a streamer but it definitely is not a classic streamer. But, maybe someday they will. Sorry guys,but the Sirloins are on their way to VT!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 02-16-2016 at 05:54 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #83
EagleCrag

Mailed mine out today. I used a size 8 for the streamers I tied.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #84
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Dropping mine off at the Post Office on my way to work in a few minutes.

Basically a modified muddler.
Hook: 79580 #10
Body: mottled grey wool
Throat: red angora
Wing: strip of natural rabbit
Head: spun carabou

Nothing fancy , but they are one of my go to flies, they catch fish.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #85
serotonin
ember

I will be finishing the flies this evening.
Dispatching most trustworthy squadron of flying monkey couriers at midnight.

They have specific instructions.
But you know how that goes.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #86
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
I will be finishing the flies this evening.

Not those flying monkeys again. Sero, you've got to train them not to bite.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #87
serotonin
ember

Quote:
...you've got to train them not to bite.
I have no experience with such matters. Seems rather counter-intuitive... like training a trout not to bite.

Anyhow, when the monkeys nibble, it means they like you. But if they show up drunk, they can become rather nasty as you know. Best to hide the women and children. And small animals. Just in case...
Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #88
Gman

You better hope Sero's monkeys only bite. When I was a kid a monkey at 1000 Animals in LP crapped in its hand, threw it at my friend and hit him right on the forehead.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #89
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
When I was a kid a monkey at 1000 Animals in LP crapped in its hand, threw it at my friend and hit him right on the forehead.
Sounds like a normal day at work for me...
Old 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #90
wildbrookies

Oh my God!! You guys are hilarious!!. Still laughing at Gmans story though!!... Thats truly epic!! Hope Seros monkeys aren't that talented!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #91
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Four containers arrived today, from Gman, WB, Eagle and Gmorin. There was also a rather odd package from Long Island but I don't think I'll include those offerings in the swap.

I got out the binoculars and scanned the skies for V formations that might be the flying monkeys. No such luck. I'll turn on the landing lights tonight and hope they find their way.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #92
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Two more containers arrived, leaving a package from Long Island and the flying monkeys, which should be along tomorrow. I just picked up a bag of Purina Flying Monkey Chow, which should replenish them after their long flight and put them in good spirits. I hope to get the flies out no later than next weekend.

My fly is size 10 in name only since it is actually tied on a short bend size 12 hook. They are woven, extended body damselfly nymphs. Although there are only 3 materials they are a PITA to tie. The woven body is Ostrich herl, the hackle is Pheasant rump soft hackle and the wing case is Turkey.

This is my second best pond fly. Fish it slowly, with a deliberate pause between short strips. This causes the body to flutter in a lifelike fashion. My best to date with this fly is a double digit rainbow in Montana but the brookies around here like it just fine and quite a few nice ones have mistaken it for a tasty snack.

If you do get a short strike on this fly, freeze. Count to 10 and resume stripping. Mr. Brookie will be back more often than not.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #93
Creekwader
Snag Locator

My submission:

Thirteenth Lake
Thread: Black
Tail: Golden Pheasant tippet
Body: Orange Floss
Rib: Flat gold tinsel
Wing: Black over Orange Bucktail

Have caught stream brook trout, fall browns and landlocks on this fly.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #94
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

We're only missing Sero's package. I left a pile of Flying Monkey treats on the front step this morning so maybe that will draw them in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying monkey.jpg (8.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #95
wildbrookies

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/3...e1ff376106.jpg

I think they are waiting for you to put these out front!!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #96
wildbrookies

VT- Are you planning on doing a little photo shoot of all of the different flies on that cool driftwood like last year!? Really enjoyed those photos! Very creative idea!

WB
Old 02-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #97
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/3...e1ff376106.jpg

I think they are waiting for you to put these out front!!
Wow.Who knew???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
VT- Are you planning on doing a little photo shoot of all of the different flies on that cool driftwood like last year!? Really enjoyed those photos! Very creative idea!

WB
Old 02-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #98
serotonin
ember

What could possibly go Wrong...?

Quote:
We're only missing Sero's package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post

In no uncertain terms, I instructed them precisely.
These are your orders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mrcxek67A

Here was the Simple Plan of Action:

Go to Vt's house FIRST.
Drop off the flies.
Then, and Only Then, can you go to Flying Monkey Brewery in Ontario. http://www.flyingmonkeys.ca/
Afterwards, hit the Flying Monkey Brewery in Kansas (which Wb should not have mentioned to them) because if I tell you not to...
you're still gonna do it.
Then make your convoluted way home.

Nothing ambiguous about that.

But no.....
What do they do...?

First thing they did was bypass Vt's house and deliberately cross the Canadian border while flaunting the flies they were carrying made of illegal hair and feathers, just so they could gain entrance to a good Canadian gulag, whereupon they took full advantage of the situation by instigating a sh**-fest involving the hurling of monkey feces and worse.

It didn't help matters that Vt, Gman and Glen actively encouraged them with whiskey behind the prison at the River Styx.

Needless to say, the gulag was unable to hold them for very long (nasty und slippery).
The Canadian authorities proceeded to plead with them to leave the country.
(Self-Deportation). They opened the gates, released them into the wild on their own recognizance,
and asked them never to return for a picnic.

So, the squadron assembled what senses they had...
Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #99
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Well, the flying monkeys finally arrived and miraculously, Sero's flies are undamaged. My yard is now a garbage dump of empty beer cans, though and we witnessed more than a few mid-air collisions as they swarmed and left. No organized V-formation for these guys!

I'll get on with the photo shooting and repackaging with a goal of getting them to the post office Monday morning.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #100
wildbrookies

Now, I'm on the edge of my seat awaiting Part 2 of this epoch journey!! Boy, traffic control all over will be busy!! Hope they return safely to Sero`s domain and maybe have a few leftover Flying Monkey Ales for their Master! Amazing Creatures! Where did he find such a talented squadron of monkeys? Did he train them himself? Wonder if he used their hair to ty up his flies like I did with my most productive fly,the Buffy Special.Alot of questions ,hoping for some answers...hmmm