Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #61
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael8 View Post
Concerning bow hunting, the DEC should extend bow hunting through the muzzle season and get rid of muzzle season (where rifle is also allowed). Most muzzle can shoot as far as needed like a rifle. Muzzle loader season is just so gun manufactures can sell more guns. In the Northern zone bow ends too early. Gun owners are too crazy about guns. Give me my rifle and bow and I'm happy. Don't need all types of guns. The NRA has brain washed many hunters.
WOW!!! Not sure what to say. I'll leave it with I don't agree.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
WOW!!! Not sure what to say. I'll leave it with I don't agree.
Well said

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #63
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

". Don't need all types of guns. The NRA has brain washed many hunters."

I don't think so. We were pro firearms before the NRA got involved. It's in our DNA. I don't have an opinion on gun makers one way or the other. I can't understand why you do. Crazy about guns? A gun is just another tool. It gets the job done. Yes I have several. I also have bows and arrows and fishing rods and reels and boats and quads and trucks and cars and...... Have a nice day
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #64
Hard Scrabble

Gonna go out on a limb here, but the NRA has become over political.
We all have to agree that the 2ND Amendment assures us the right to bear arms.
I'm gonna leave up to the forum what arms that amendment guaranteed.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #65
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here, but the NRA has become over political.
We all have to agree that the 2ND Amendment assures us the right to bear arms.
I'm gonna leave up to the forum what arms that amendment guaranteed.
Jim
Don't argue with idiots, they're stupid.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #66
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael8 View Post
Concerning bow hunting, the DEC should extend bow hunting through the muzzle season and get rid of muzzle season (where rifle is also allowed). Most muzzle can shoot as far as needed like a rifle. Muzzle loader season is just so gun manufactures can sell more guns. In the Northern zone bow ends too early. Gun owners are too crazy about guns. Give me my rifle and bow and I'm happy. Don't need all types of guns. The NRA has brain washed many hunters.
To each his or her own, I hunt in the Adirondacks (and only occasionally in Southern Zone) with a compound, recurve, crossbow, muzzleloader and lever-action Winchester 30-30. I enjoy all of the seasons and the hunting implements I use during each one. Muzzleloading hunting poses its own set of challenges, including, like bow hunting, the likelihood of only one shot. And, I'll bet that far fewer deer are wounded by muskets than by bows. Again, to each their own. We're lucky to have liberal hunting seasons in the Adirondacks.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #67
geogymn

Live and let live! Except for deer, kill them all, they are depleting the forest! Only kidding!!!
Can we genetically modify deer to savor the taste of Buckthorn, Multiflora rose, Spotted Knapweed, Dogbane, Purple Loosestrife, etc.,etc., etc.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #68
St.Regis

I wonder if venison from a deer that ate dogbane would be stringy
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #69
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Yes I travel to favorite places to hunt and fish and bushwack. Didn't see one deer all day. Stopped in an upscale restaurant in Morgantown, WV and paid dearly for some excellent medallions of venison. While traveling through a very urban part of Pittsburgh I came around a bend and in my headlights was a monster buck with a rack that looked like an elk with a couple of tines broken off. It had to be over three hundred pounds on the hoof. Fortunately I was able to stop in time and noticed that he was limping. I patiently waited till he limped off the road onto someone's lawn. I felt badly for the old guy and hoped that things would work out for him. Ironically, I have seen the biggest deer with the biggest racks in the suburbs of major cities. Go figure.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #70
EagleCrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Ironically, I have seen the biggest deer with the biggest racks in the suburbs of major cities. Go figure.
Not too ironic actually. There are so many sanctuaries around urban areas where the deer are protected that they increase in numbers and grow old as well. Did the deer you saw look like it was injured in a fight or hit by another vehicle?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #71
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

His right rear leg was injured. Probably hit by a car yet he still walked on it He didn't drag it so maybe it will heal.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #72
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Yes I travel to favorite places to hunt and fish and bushwack. Didn't see one deer all day. Stopped in an upscale restaurant in Morgantown, WV and paid dearly for some excellent medallions of venison. While traveling through a very urban part of Pittsburgh I came around a bend and in my headlights was a monster buck with a rack that looked like an elk with a couple of tines broken off. It had to be over three hundred pounds on the hoof. Fortunately I was able to stop in time and noticed that he was limping. I patiently waited till he limped off the road onto someone's lawn. I felt badly for the old guy and hoped that things would work out for him. Ironically, I have seen the biggest deer with the biggest racks in the suburbs of major cities. Go figure.
Kudos for your humanity.

Jim
Old 11-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #73
wellsley

I drove through old forge 3 years ago and in the middle of the day there was a ten and 2 eight pointers on someones lawn.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #74
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
I drove through old forge 3 years ago and in the middle of the day there was a ten and 2 eight pointers on someones lawn.
It happens quite often in Old Forge, though rarely with the big bucks. I'm in Old Forge at least a couple of times a month and seeing the street-walking deer with busy traffic and people all around is quite common. Word is they are on the payroll of the Chamber of Commerce to draw in tourists.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #75
Jack

I really enjoy this part of the forum, especially Robins video! I was in Upper Sargeants the same time you were for 8 days. How about when that cold front blew through! I'm 68 with two bad knees (2 surgeries so far) and a bad back with pending surgery after the first of the year. My boots can't take me where I want to go any more, so I fly in with Tom Helms. This is my 44th year of doing this, and I refuse to quit. I stumbled around the woods only once after the storm and visited my old deer stands, seen no evidence of the Rut starting. I did catch my limit of LM Bass twice, I released all except one 18" to have surf and turf one night. I just sit under a tarp next to my fire if I can drag in any, wood is scarce in my not so secret spot ant more. I guess my solo days may be over, maybe, I now camp with one real friend who is 73, and another who camps alone in another secret camp down the lake, he is 83 years young. We all look out for each other, I could go on & on with this.....Jack
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #76
wellsley

Welcome Jack it's good to hear from you. In your 44 years have you got any game up there?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #77
Jack

Just Fish, no Venison. I'm more of a fisherman then hunter. I just love to sit out in the woods to see what is going on around me. I do hunt in the southern zone and have shot a few, last season I shot a small buck. I have no want to kill a Bear, he is just like us and we are in his house. Although I would kill a Bear if I could smell his breath, no doubt. My Mountain trips (spring, summer, & fall) are mostly for fishing and "Woods Therapy".
Old 11-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #78
skillzman1

My wife asked me earlier this week, "Is hunting anything like fishing?"....I said " go out, hike all around, come back with nothing..yup pretty much exactly the same!"

But "woods therapy" is really what it (and fishing) are about for me as well. Carrying on the tradition my Grandfather so lovingly took the time to teach me a few years ago during a rough patch in life. He passed away last year, this year is kinda tough to hunt the same spots without him, but the 'therapy' that he showed me is likely why he showed me.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #79
Jack

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I lost my Grandfathers and my Dad many years ago. My Dad introduced me to the Adirondacks about 60 years ago, he loved to fish but he had to sleep under a roof, not like me. My one Grandfather really taught me to fish on the Sakendacka Resevoir, as it was called in those days. I really miss those guys, I honor them by practicing what I was taught about conservation and respect of these wonderful Mountains. And that is why I keep doing this whenever I can. I'm retired now so the only limit I have now is my aching body.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #80
mgc

Sorry to pick the scab but I need to say, I have no NRA affiliation and have not been influenced by them in my decision to hunt with bow, shotgun, rifle and smokepole. Each has it's own challenges and I enjoy the opportunity to explore them all. I shoot ball and cap and inline smokepole, not because the NRA told me to, because of the unique characteristics....I like to play around with Goex and patches as much as I like to fiddle around with blackhorn 209 and different projectiles.
I own 13 different canoes, 6 bicycles, beaucoup fishing poles and etc. Each has a purpose, each is unique.
I also do not agree with the suggestion
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote