Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
wildbrookies

Where did all the fishermen/ladies go?

Hi All,
I did`nt make it out this weekend.I was wondering if anybody has any reports to make me jealous.Got most of my yard work done this weekend.Now,hopefully I can break free!!.Are the ponds out yet?Whats the stream temps?etc.....

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
Nessmuk
FLYFSR

Finally Fishing

I went out on Saturday to a local lake where the inlet was free of ice.....no takers but what a day out on the water! I needed this outing to get my pontoon boat all rigged up for the season....first I had to find it in the attic, then inflate it, then remember to grab the oars from behind the shed BEFORE I drive away to the lake....yep, a 20 minute detour to return to the cabin to get my oars....now all the gear is together and stored where I can easily throw them in the truck and go!

As for the conditions.....I did a recon to a few streams on the way to the lake.....the ones around here (SW Dacks) are still running high but they are clear. Its been a nice easy thaw this spring. Out on the lake inlet I saw little black stoneflies about so they are definitely in motion. I plan to do some stillwater fishing again this weekend along with some stream fishing. Weather looks like its suppose to stay clear and cool, but no major rain storms in the forecast.....this will at least help get the streams down a bit.
Nessmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Saturday afternoon I hit the black river and several of its tribs. Tribs are at normal levels and mostly clear but still very cold. This will continue until the snow is completely gone. Caught a brown and a brook in one trib and lost some fish in another. Saw fish rising for stones in one trib. Had no luck in the black. Saw a 6 inch pickerel right next to shore on the black and wished I had an m-80 or a spear but no such luck.

Fished a tributary to the Oriskany yesterday afternoon for a couple minutes before having to work for 5 hours on a project due today. I think someone was dumping leaves from their yard into the stream because it was full of crap and wasn't like that on Friday -obviously we haven't gotten rain in a while.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

I took an overnight trip to Gleasman Falls on the Independance River this weekend. I made the fatal mistake of forgetting my sunglasses! Which in turn made me timid about casting. Gorgeous weather, kinda chilly overnight (20 degrees air temp).

Well before I get to the fishing report, let me get to this report.... The friggin' access road. The McMartin guide book says (and I paraphrase) "the hard packed sand road is driveable, so you may consider driving your vehicle to the trail head" -- having said that... Don't drive a toyota camry on this road hahahaha. Anyways... It was definitely drivable in the way in, there were some icy patches, but I made it a-ok. On the way out, it was a muddy nightmare when those icy patches melted. I got nearly out before I bottomed the car out & stuck it in the mud -- luckily some kids came by on a honkin' pickup and helped haul me out (they had good timing too, i was stuck for all of 5 minutes).

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed about forgetting my sunglasses, but... Still managed to dabble a little. I fished an evening (lazily) and a morning (a little more aggressively). I'm not familiar with the water, but... Looking at the high water mark, it's about 6-8" lower than the highest it's been lately at least, water running clear. The evening was quiet, I tried some egg patterns & a few generic nymphs, nada. In the morning, there was a decent hatch of stones! Tiny, Granite gray, looked size 14-16. I didn't have any patterns to match that size / color, I need some stonefly adults (and my stonefly nymphs look monsterous at size 10-12). I tied on a meaty turcks tarantula (in hopes of someone looking for a big free meal, but more practically as a strike indicator) and dropped a zug bug off it... Missed two strikes, saw the tarantula just pause and slightly depress in the water, my two chances of the day -- missed! Ha! Anyways, after hanging that rig in a tree a few times I went back to egg patterns and no luck.

In after thought.... I was using a really long leader (like 12' including tippet) I probably should've gone shorter and heavier... I was thinking the longer leader may have been good for spooky fish, but, probably the water is high enough and fast enough that I've got to worry more about the depth of these nymphs. Also... I have some mini muddlers I tied at size 14 & 16, I don't know why I didn't try them, they may have made a great imitation of a drowned stone.

Had a good time regardless, this is a nice time of year to be out. Maybe chilly at night, but, the lack of black flies and skeeters isn't bad at all, cool days make the hike feel refreshing, it was awes.
protocoldroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Proto,
That road to the Beech Mill trailhead is full of mudholes even in the summer. I can't even imagine what it's like now for a car. Tons of illegal ATV use in that area hasn't helped matters.

I used to fish the Independence upstream of gleasmans falls a few miles and found that the staples of diet are dragonflies and damsels so you may want to try those next time. Not to bum you out but that creek you cross right in the beginning is much better fishing than Gleasmans falls at least that's what I've found.

-CW
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

No kidding! I saw a couple guys spin fishing right around there at that very first creek crossing on the way out. Hahaha, figures I should've gone easy and stopped there for a little fishing I've gotta attempt that next time (assuming I feel like torturing the car there again!).

Also.... When I checked out -- I saw a log in the trail register that said:

"4/9 - Forest Ranger - Lowville Office - Patrol For ATVs & Activity Levels"

I don't have the CSI investigation skills, but, sure looks like a lot of the ruts in that road are from smaller vehicles. It's horrrrrible now. I don't know how I managed to get stuck only once. Personally, I'm happy they're keeping an eye on that -- well especially after experiencing that road.

The real trick is really to keep to the side of the road, aim for the hardest driest stuff you can see -- my mistake was one patch that looked a little dry (probably just was on the surface) I went to drive over it and sunk in like quick sand.

...Also figures, I was trying to make some space in my fly boxes for some different fly selections, and of course.... took out the dragon fly nymphs I tied up (i had tied 'em for still waters, didn't think to use them this time out), murphy's law!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
Ned Kipperson

Been fishing the Black River in Dexter a couple nights. Water levels have dropped back to normal, and the clarity is better than last week. Fish are somewhat active, but they aren't going for my spoon, rapala, or spinners. Caught zero fish, lost 3 lures. Typical.

Anyone have any pointers for this area? I'm used to Catskill streams, not Lake Ontario tribs.
Ned Kipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

I know it's no longer the weekend, buuut.... I fished Oriskany creek last night for about an hour, and it has come down quite a ways now it's still stained, but... you can wade it again, that's enough for me to be out. There was a hatch of midges, but, nothing serious in terms of insect activity. (...and yeah I got skunked, did you have to ask? ) I'll probably go out again this eve'.

Ned don't feel -too- badly.... I'm right with you, the first fish I catch this year is going to have cost so much in lost flies, leaders & tippet....

...Actually almost lost a whole fly box last night! Glad I have the floating ones! Here I take my time and sneak up to my favored gravel bar, go to change flies... get the fly on, and... notice something in the corner of my eye floating down the river -- my flies!!! So I had to make a super mad dash to run after the box... Spoiling my favorite spot... dang.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #9
sacco
no soup for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kipperson
Been fishing the Black River in Dexter a couple nights. Water levels have dropped back to normal, and the clarity is better than last week. Fish are somewhat active, but they aren't going for my spoon, rapala, or spinners. Caught zero fish, lost 3 lures. Typical.

Anyone have any pointers for this area? I'm used to Catskill streams, not Lake Ontario tribs.

eh, it's tough right now. if you check out most folks reports on here it's been tough on everyone lately. it should get much better in a week or two.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

It's been rough here as well. Didn't catch anything this past weekend. I can't wait for the black flies to get into full swing, as it seems when the black flies are biting, so are the trout.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
wildbrookies

Hey guys,
Now you know why I have`nt made a posting of an outing yet.Besides being quite busy,I know too well what I will catch.A big fat goose egg.But,the real reason for me wanting to get out would be the sheer feeling of flycasting again and getting in a beautiful trout stream.You guys are getting the limit in that category.Plus,theres no bugs to pester you and the other fishermen are few.Also,the brush and foliage along the banks are still knocked down making for easier walking.
Proto,Lumberzac,hang in there alittle while longer and you will be rewarded.Actually Lumberzac is your right on with the blackfly theory.The warm May days brings up the temp. of the waters which inturn hatches all those little tiny flies with the big chompers.Unfortunately ,that starts the real trout season underway.
So, enjoy the little things out there along the stream now.My streams are exactly like yours.I know they won`t wake up until the water gets into the 50`s.Then, all kinds of bugs start popping.
As for me,I might try friday morning for a few hours.Good luck and have fun.A bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work ,hands down!!!!!

Tightlines and patience, p.s...I went out my first 6 times last year before I hooked a fish.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

You're right on the money WB, just being on the water is the thing, catching fish is a bonus (a rather nice bonus, hahaha)

...The only thing that can possibly ruin my time on the water, is forgetting to silence my phone!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
wildbrookies

I hear ya!! Its nice to leave the world behind ,so to speak when entering the trout domain.

WB
Old 04-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #14
serotonin
ember

Yesterday, Cerebrus and I hit a very nice small stream that finally cleared. We can see pods of fish everywhere. C lands two fish rather quickly on worms. They chase my bugger at first; sometimes three fish at once. They look at it, but won't take it. Then they begin to move away from it.

There are occasional rises; a small hatch of Blue-winged Olives. I eventually switch to an Ausable Wulff and land my first of the year on a dry. I lose that fly (rusty eye on the hook) so i try a fluffy caddis dry, which results in Fish #2. They would not take them on the dead drift; skittering was the ticket. C lands two more. We each had many more hits, but the hook-sets didn't take.

We decide to re-con a mile-and-a-half of stream i haven't seen yet. C's vehicle has been planted at the other end. Daisy is in her glory. We find beautiful holes and runs along the way, but we hardly fish. We encounter two Smart and Large risers. Only one set of human tracks. C says 'I wonder what lives in that hole...' and is promptly spooked by the tenant muskrat. Daisy finds a dead coyote. C, a dead muskrat. Daisy spooks a goose and two ducks. The swallows are zipping around, probably picking off insects. Two large hawks circle over-head. The weather is fantastic. C likes this place. Daisy is clearly enthused. She makes many stream crossings, often swimming thru current well-over her head. We can tell by her puffing sounds that the water is cold.

Along the way a wild brook trout is basking in the sun on hot rocks, two inches deep. I almost step on him and he shoots into some cover of sticks and dead grass that is almost laughable, but he is well hidden. As C approaches, i say 'he's right in there, but he was laying HERE! On cue, he comes out and re-takes his position on the rocks, his back sticking out of the water, one foot from my boot. Daisy comes over to check it out. I try to catch him w/my hands (too close to cast). I miss. Daisy laughs at my ineptitude.

We make it to C's truck, and head back to mine. "You wanna fish this pool for 10-15 minutes?" "Yeah, why not... but i gotta check my messages first". By this time, my leader is wearing a partridge soft-hackle w/a bead-head caddis larva dropper. Land one fish on the dropper and quickly cast the flies into a tree 40 feet away. Rip it loose and lose the dropper. Perfect. A midge hatch is in full swing. Start fishing the weightless soft-hackle nearly straight upstream; the fish start wkacking it on almost every cast. I lose some, but land a few too. C is on the phone, trying to get a new job. He is watching and shaking his head.

Final results... Flies 7 : Worms 4

Last edited by serotonin; 04-14-2005 at 12:31 PM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
wildbrookies

Wow, seems like a very eventful day.You make the little things that people don`t see unless they open they`re eyes , seem important!! There is a lot going on in the woods if one gets into the surroundings.I love the sound of that little creek.Sounds unpressured.A great treasure.Keep it that way.I know a few small creeks like that one,but you have to work hard at catching one or two9most times none).Daisy sounds like she enjoyed herself also.Keep,the stories rolling in.Its the next best thing to being there.I hope to have something to write about after this weekend.Hopefully!!

WB
Old 04-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #16
Ned Kipperson

Well, Ned broke the ice today. I hit a small Catskill mountain stream up near the headwaters. Caught nothing in the wild brookie section in the forest preserve area (foot trail). I think the water's in the high 30's. Then I drove downstream a bit out of the state land (fewer trees to block the sun) , and hit em one after the other near a bridge in a log landing. I guess the stocking truck has been here, because they were hitting the BLue Fox like crazy. All about 9-10 inches. I kept 2 that swallowed the lure pretty deep. Delicious. Now I feel I can relax a bit, and challenge myself to find the big holdovers.
Ned Kipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #17
wildbrookies

Well, it sounds like Ned got over no-fish threshold.Good job. Nice day. Good idea. You caught more than alot of fishermen.Guys I work with have`nt hooked one yet.Sero,though,seems to be able to pick up trout almost anywhere.Guess he`s got the ....mojo...or whatever he calls it.Now, lets see if the old holdovers started letting down their guard and warming up a bit.

WB
Old 04-14-2005, 11:10 PM   #18
serotonin
ember

uh oh...there's more: Daisy dragged me out again, today...
She decided we should hit another small liquid ribbon; see if it cleared. It did. We tromped upstream, far from the access, and Daisy showed me her developing stream-crossing/rock-hopping/swimming technique. A pug we met on the way, marveled at her aquatic display. He even stopped barking. I have to admit, she's getting good. (She's sleeping now; dreaming of tomorrow...?)

We looked for fish in some nice water that was devoid of our piscatorial pursuits. Wading straight thru some nice holding lies, waving a flyrod underwater... couldn't scare up a fish.

So then we went and talked to some kind gentlemen who were fishing a worthless hole. Daisy said 'let's go'.

Of course there's no direct way home, when there's a few crooked streams between here and there. This led us to a place (Proto, you might recognize it in the dark) where we quickly banged a dozen stockies on pheasant tails, and had fun doing it. Silly fish. Nice weather too...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #19
serotonin
ember

Congrats Ned! You and WB are right. Now comes the interesting part; fishing our way thru the transplants to get to the good guys.

...Gotta go clean some small stockies now.

Last edited by serotonin; 04-14-2005 at 11:30 PM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #20
marzrw

An Ausable Wulff, hm, seem to remember when I did get out more, especially up North, didn't fish with much of anything else, didn't have to. Was like candy to the fish on a certain stream up north. Used to get up at 2:30 or 3 (AM that is) to get to the stream just before daylight. Even though the stream was a bit fast and noisy, you could still hear the hungry trouts slurping and gorging themselves. You didn't need to be a great caster or have a perfect drag free drift either. In fact I might have caught more trout as my fly swung three-quarters downstream dragging at the surface. Probably imitated a rising nymph. But it was the Wulff I used, tied by our esteemed Fran Betters who when you ask for a dozen of these jewels likes to say,"Ausable Wulff, never heard of it." And then he chuckles.
Anways, you would miss as many fish as you would catch and then at about 6 or 7AM, the switch would turn off and that would be it. So who ever got there after that probably didn't catch much.
This also worked in Maine in the middle of July one year. An absolutely incredible morning. Brook trout everywhere. There may have been some natives, but the stream was stocked.
Don't seem to hit the hatches like I used to, but then again, haven't been out as much either ot at the right time either.
But if I could only pick two flies to fish with, it would be a woolly bugger and an Ausable Wulff, for sure.
Nice story Sero.