Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #101
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

The Minipi watershed in Labrador has the largest brook trout in the world, (check the record books). This is a huge watershed, and they (the one camp that fishes there and the provincial researchers) figure there are approximately 1000 brook trout over 3 pounds in the entire system, some much more than 3 lbs.. Minipi Camps , with there 3 locations probably takes 40 or so anglers a week for 10 weeks a year. If each angler took just 1 fish during there stay that would be 400 fish removed over 3 pounds in one year. even with new fish growing into the 3+lb category it wouldn't take too long to destroy the fishery. Thus the C&R policy at the camps.

OK, I mentioned a great lake/river/pond location , and if you have the $4000 or so to fish there I would highly recommend it, it may well be the highlight of your fishing career.

The point though is that the small Adirondack backcountry ponds are much more fragile. I don't get up into them as much or as successfully as some here, but even though I know that others occasionally fish these ponds I've been to, I do feel as though I'm one of the few each year that fishes them. The more effort the greater the reward, the adventure is worth it even on the ponds that don't produce. You see, I also enjoy the bushwack, and the paddling, I usually bring a backpacking stove and coffee pot, don't usually cook food but the beverage back in the woods is a joy.

Love the fish, respect the fishery.

I'm up at my camp in Lake Clear as I type this, it's going to be a while before ice out.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #102
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ10 View Post
Guys,

I have been following this thread and find it to be an interesting debate. I can see where both sides are coming from and have legitimate arguments. I am new to the forum as well and I respect everyone on here who has put in the time and the effort to get to where you are today. You guys have a lot more logged time fishing and researching than I do. I do not come on here and expect to get your favorite fishing spots or anything like that, but let me ask you a question.

For those of you that have done the research and the trekking through the woods to get to the hidden gems, how did you start? As being a new member to the Adirondacks, would you guys be willing to disclose the books you read through, so that I can check them out and decide which waters look appealing to me? I am perfectly fine with doing my own research and trekking, I'm just wondering where is a good place to start. Are there books specifically on backwoods fishing in the Dacks?

I took your advice about ordering a fly fishing book and haven't regret a second of it. I got a new setup this past weekend and am excited to start landing fish. I got the Orvis Access 905 setup.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks.

that is great! I took the exact same approach a few years ago and couldn't be happier about it. I reached out and actually made it clear that I was not only asking for specific ponds, but didn't want specific ponds. I wanted to research and discover them. I obviously love catching fish, but I cannot even begin to tell you how great that drive home is when you research, consider things, make a decision, hike to, then fish a pond successfully, its a great feeling. some of other guys on this thread are still way ahead of me in that aspect but when I got rolling, I took many of the suggestions that I have read on here. Some of which include reading management plans, look at the stocking information on the NYSDEC site, the adk lake survey can help in some aspects even though the information is old...it can provide information on the chemistry of the water as well as a contour map. good places to get rolling
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #103
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ10 View Post
Guys,

I have been following this thread and find it to be an interesting debate. I can see where both sides are coming from and have legitimate arguments. I am new to the forum as well and I respect everyone on here who has put in the time and the effort to get to where you are today. You guys have a lot more logged time fishing and researching than I do. I do not come on here and expect to get your favorite fishing spots or anything like that, but let me ask you a question.

For those of you that have done the research and the trekking through the woods to get to the hidden gems, how did you start? As being a new member to the Adirondacks, would you guys be willing to disclose the books you read through, so that I can check them out and decide which waters look appealing to me? I am perfectly fine with doing my own research and trekking, I'm just wondering where is a good place to start. Are there books specifically on backwoods fishing in the Dacks?

I took your advice about ordering a fly fishing book and haven't regret a second of it. I got a new setup this past weekend and am excited to start landing fish. I got the Orvis Access 905 setup.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks.
Absolutely. We'll talk...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #104
Brookie hunter

Jim a couple post above this you said "most of the fun is finding these remote places." Therefore if someone is telling you a pond name and you just have to go there doesn't that take some of the funn out of it?
Also about pouring millions into the effects of acid rain with little results. I think you should look into that more there are many ponds that were too acidic for fish a few years ago which currently support many fish today this includes the pond that the current state record is supposedly taken from along with many other ponds with record breaking brookies.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #105
Justin
Moving along

Just to add my two cents...I enjoy fishing for trout more than any other fish species, and I equally enjoy bushwhacking for mountain top views.
I have no problems sharing info about rewarding bushwhacks to scenic mountain views when asked... However, I will not share info publicly about rewarding fishing spots, or possible hunting or trapping locations.
Internet impact is very real in this day & age. I've seen the negative impacts it can cause with my own eyes, some of which may or may not have been a direct result from info that I have posted publicly on this public forum in the past. I've since tried to be not so specific, but I also understand the enjoyment of sharing your fun with others. It can be a very fine line these days.
In the end I think it's best if you are selective when being specific about certain locations, especially if it involves fishing, hunting, or trapping.
Isn't that an unwritten rule that every outdoorsman already knows?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #106
Wldrns

It’s about standards acceptable within a community. Another community may have different acceptable standards and that is fine. This Forum is a community that has been in existence for several years. There are established formal rules that are required to be obeyed if a person wants to remain a member of the community (forum rules). And there are unwritten policies and agreements that the established community has long informally agreed to follow. It is a tradition and a characteristic of the community. If a relatively new member decides and persists that long established agreements within the community are not to be followed, then that person's argument is likely to receive a lot of negativity. Simple as that.

We’ve had similar discussions before with a topic that is contained in the forum formal rules, that members not publish detailed GPS tracklogs. There are good reasons for this, just as there are good reasons not to publish sensitive details about fish in specific ponds. This information of course can be freely found elsewhere, but by tradition this community has decided not here.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #107
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Its about standards acceptable within a community. Another community may have different acceptable standards and that is fine. This Forum is a community that has been in existence for several years. There are established formal rules that are required to be obeyed if a person wants to remain a member of the community (forum rules). And there are unwritten policies and agreements that the established community has long informally agreed to follow. It is a tradition and a characteristic of the community. If a relatively new member decides and persists that long established agreements within the community are not to be followed, then that person's argument is likely to receive a lot of negativity. Simple as that.

Weve had similar discussions before with a topic that is contained in the forum formal rules, that members not publish detailed GPS tracklogs. There are good reasons for this, just as there are good reasons not to publish sensitive details about fish in specific ponds. This information of course can be freely found elsewhere, but by tradition this community has decided not here.
Well spoken!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #108
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Closed

Temporarily locking this thread until it can be reviewed in more detail.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #109
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Jumping back in -

This thread has been cleaned - any remarks directed at each other have been removed, as have the pond names. Of course, I may have missed one or two, but did the best I can under the circumstances.

And to clarify, the pond name rule is unwritten, but closely follows Rule 7. And Rule 2 certainly applies:

2) No profanity, personal attacks, derogatory remarks, deliberate goading (trolling) or taunting will be tolerated. It is understood that, at times there will be disagreements and dissenting opinions. We only ask that they be done in a civil, reasoned and rational manner.

Blame me for letting this get out of hand and too far down the line than it should have...if it continues in the vein of the first two pages, then it is fine, but if it goes back to bickering, it'll be closed again.

Thank you

Scott
Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #110
JimVroman

I will agree with your decision whole heartedly.
Jim
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote