Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 03:28 PM   #61
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I'd get the Airflo clear intermediate. It casts like a bomb and remains flexible in cold weather. Love their lines for stillwater.

Glen's - er Ahab's line gets hopelessly stiff and tangled, causing badly executed harpoon tosses. He invariably invariably flies into an imperious rage, putting the crew of the Pequod in great peril. I sure wish I had a picture of the time he mis-rigged the Pequod, capsized her and had to swim for shore.

I suspect the Great White Splake is safe for yet another season.

When he says it casts like a bomb you should take this literally. Between his weighted flies and that crummy Airflo line his typical cast is 30 feet vertically and 15 feet horizontally. That is without wind which of course has a further negative affect. If you typically fish with a Norden Bombsight this line might be for you.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 AM   #62
serotonin
ember

It is a most elusive fish

Quote:

Glen's - er Ahab's line gets hopelessly stiff and tangled, causing badly executed harpoon tosses. He invariably invariably flies into an imperious rage, putting the crew of the Pequod in great peril. I sure wish I had a picture of the time he mis-rigged the Pequod, capsized her and had to swim for shore.

I suspect the Great White Splake is safe for yet another season.
May I suggest a different tack... invariably invariably w/imperious age

tack...
tack...
tack-tactic!?? ?! ?

Find the Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QanC47gRBaE

Where is that confounded fish!?
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 AM   #63
serotonin
ember

It a most Elusive fish.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #64
JimVroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Hey guys-He must know what he's talking about. Check out this picture....
That's one heck of a brook trout!!!
Jim
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #65
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Please do not mention the names of ponds on the internet unless you want to find it over-run and fished out the next time you go.. This has ruined more than one pond...
Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #66
Brookie hunter

You shouldn't post specific pond names on the internet.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #67
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie hunter View Post
Great minds think alike. Of course, fools never differ...
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #68
Brookie hunter

Quote:
Man if you think like me im not sure if that would be good lol.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #69
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie hunter View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVroman View Post
Well, excuse me!!!
I thought that this was forum to exchange ideas and to share the knowledge.
Closed minds retreat into themselves, thus not sharing.
The fool never shares. My quote.
Jim
I think what vtflyfish was saying is that it's not clear whether he and Brookie hunter are both great minds, or both fools.

"Pushing the limits of easy."ô
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #70
Rusty and the Maniac

Nope, the ponds dont belong to anyone other than the general public, however, we as a rule, don't go posting how the fishing is on specific ponds because there are plenty of people willing to put in the effort to get to them if they think they are in for a sure thing. Part of the wonder of brook trout fishing is the mystery of it... I have people i've worked with for years who don't know my favorite ponds and i dont know theirs.. That's just how adk ponds are, and that's how people are about them. So, with that being the case, ain't no way that you're gonna get specific pond info outta anyone. You gotta be able and willing to put in years of effort to do right. Nothing feels as good as taking the gamble of going to a new pond and having a great day, but many times it's just going up to a new pond to get skunked. Worst thing in the world is to see a pond you love named out loud on the internet where any idiot with google can find it. So if you wanna know, go check it out, don't start calling people names cause we won't tell you what pond to fish. Take some of the tactics on here, try them on a pond and if you catch fish, there are fish there... that should be enough.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #71
Brookie hunter

Couldnt of said it better Rusty.
Any pond especially small ones can very easily be ruined by one person who takes more then his/her share.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #72
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty and the Maniac View Post
Nope, the ponds dont belong to anyone other than the general public, however, we as a rule, don't go posting how the fishing is on specific ponds because there are plenty of people willing to put in the effort to get to them if they think they are in for a sure thing. Part of the wonder of brook trout fishing is the mystery of it... I have people i've worked with for years who don't know my favorite ponds and i dont know theirs.. That's just how adk ponds are, and that's how people are about them. So, with that being the case, ain't no way that you're gonna get specific pond info outta anyone. You gotta be able and willing to put in years of effort to do right. Nothing feels as good as taking the gamble of going to a new pond and having a great day, but many times it's just going up to a new pond to get skunked. Worst thing in the world is to see a pond you love named out loud on the internet where any idiot with google can find it. So if you wanna know, go check it out, don't start calling people names cause we won't tell you what pond to fish. Take some of the tactics on here, try them on a pond and if you catch fish, there are fish there... that should be enough.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #73
Limekiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVroman View Post
Scoot,
I"m reluctant to name anyone a fool although i've been classified that.
Some folks want to claim ponds as theirs.
Nothing can be farther than the truth.
There seems to be an "elitist" mindset in this section of the forum.
"I know what I know and I'm not gonna share it".
Is that a great mind?
Taylor Pond has some of the best lake trout fishing in the northern Adirondacks. I know that, but you still have to have the expertise to catch them.
13th Lake has some monster brookies but you need to know how to fish for them.
Nuff said.
Jim
I don't think anyone is trying to claim anything as their's. But when you post a specific brookie pond or hunting honey hole by name on a public forum it's there forever for anyone, not just forum members, to find with a Google search.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #74
serotonin
ember

It's the Middle of the Film again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They haven't said much about the Meaning of Life so far, have they...?

Jim... it's the middle of the film.

It's not the meniscus! It's the middle of the film!!
The part that nobody can seem to successfully get through.
(Except for caddis, stoneflies, mayflies, and other aquatic insects).
We had been doing so successfully for thousands and thousands of years.

and Humans don't know we exist, Jim.
They can't do what we do.
They can't even get through the middle of the forking film, Jim.

If they're lives are so important that they can't bear to waste one minute,
I suggest they skip directly to 1:09.
And get through the middle of the flocking film, Jim.
The one after nine o nine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBZnfB46es
They haven't said much about the Meaning of Life so far, have they...?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #75
EagleCrag

Jim, I have silently watched this thread for some time. Like the others, I think it is bad to mention the names of small water bodies. Everyone seems to be on the same sheet of music but you. You might give consideration to the fact that there are some very knowledgeable fishermen here with many years of experience who all seem to disagree with your position--you are the lone wolf here. That ought to give one pause. Personally, I have seen two water bodies ruined by their mention on the internet and this was on an ice fishing forum! That is why I feel the way I do. If folks here do wish to share the name of a pond, they do it via a PM so as not to publicize it to the masses. You are doing a superb job of stirring the pot here but in the grand scheme of things there's not much to be gained from it. Perhaps Glen's suggestion is best and you should drop your line in some other forum.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:41 PM   #76
mmaute

I feel Jim was trying to respectfully share his opinions and was demeaned by those who donít share his views. Obviously there are some knowledgeable outdoorspeople on this section of the forum, but that doesnít mean they donít come off rude, elitist, and condescending. And being an experienced outdoorsperson isn't an excuse for acting that way.

If you want to debate something Ė fine, just do it respectfully. If you can convince someone to agree with your point of view thatís great. However if you canít convince them, how about you respectfully agree to disagree and not demean someone and not tell them you don't think they should use a public forum Ė acting like that is not just close minded, itís small minded.

Last I knew, America, the internet, and this forum were a free place where anyone was allowed (within the confines of the law) to freedom of thought and speech. Whether you personally agree with them or not, they have just as much right to exist and exercise their right to free speech as you do. I respect passion for environmental conservation (and consider myself a conservationist as well), but I would never think conservationism entitles me to try and stifle someone else's right to free speech.

Several suggested Jim should not use this forum and go somewhere else. Let me ask those who did this - how would you all feel if I told you I think it's best you not use this forum and go somewhere else. I'm guessing many would not feel positively about a comment like that. However, from a free speech POV, that comment is just as valid as the one that suggested Jim should.

Respectfully.
mmaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #77
adkmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
Obviously there are some knowledgeable outdoorspeople on this section of the forum, but that doesn’t mean they don’t come off rude, elitist, and condescending. And being an experienced outdoorsperson isn't an excuse for acting that way.
No , but apparently being a fly fisherman is.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #78
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Speaking as someone who has been with this forum since the beginning (you can say what you want about that), my advice to Jim would be to listen and learn before jumping in like he did. First he came in questioning Acid rain and got called out on it because its settled science at this point. Then he started naming specific ponds; had he asked some questions and got some feedback from the frequent users around here he would have found out was taboo. We always tell new users to use PMs or private email to discuss specifics, go back and look through the archives. Not for nothing but this forum certainly isn't a democracy, its run by moderators who will edit how they see fit if things get heated and we in the fishing section tend to self police regarding specific pond talk. And as suggested by others, probably not meant in a rude way just factual, there are other internet places where people like to talk about specific fishing holes. Jim should also know that most ADK pond fisherpeople are a crazy passionate bunch, this kind of behavior should be expected.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #79
mmaute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
And as suggested by others, probably not meant in a rude way just factual, there are other internet places where people like to talk about specific fishing holes. Jim should also know that most ADK pond fisherpeople are a crazy passionate bunch, this kind of behavior should be expected.
Being rude is being rude, no matter what excuse one may try to use to justify/excuse it.

Bottom line.....respectfully debate - if common ground doesn't exist, disagree with someone's opinion, but respect their right to have it. In the case of someone identifying a fishing spot, even though someone may not like it, it doesn't violate any formal forum participation rules (that I know of), so I highly doubt moderators are likely to intervene.
mmaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #80
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
Being rude is being rude, no matter what excuse one may try to use to justify/excuse it.

Bottom line.....respectfully debate - if common ground doesn't exist, disagree with someone's opinion, but respect their right to have it. In the case of someone identifying a fishing spot, even though someone may not like it, it doesn't violate any formal forum participation rules (that I know of), so I highly doubt moderators are likely to intervene.
Rudeness is a highly subjective term. So basically you are saying people shouldn't have expressed their factual views in response to the Acid rain stuff? Jim made some factually incorrect comments about acid rain, he got called out. Is that rude? Personally, I pointed out a highly informative book that should be in everyone's library if they have a passing interest in acid rain. Was that rude?

You are correct, moderators aren't going to step in on the disclosure of spots but you will get a rash of crap from the forum members. If people want to spot burn, I suggest iceshanty or myfishfinder.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote