Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #81
BleeckerMtn

I got back from my honeymoon and just finished catching up on this thread. I'll have to do some thinking about what to tie and then get them banged out. Are we still aiming for the end of the month?
BleeckerMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #82
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I'll get my flies in the mail this afternoon. Cheated just a little, got a lot of irons in the fire right now , so am sending some Goddard Caddis that were tied a couple of years ago.

This is a pattern that you don't see around any more but a VERY good pattern to use in rough pocket water/rapids. Floats literally like a cork. Great pattern on the Ausable, also a good searching pattern. A good dry to attach 12"-18" of tippett to the bend of the hook with a dropper nymph off the back, works almost like a strike indicator but with a hook in it.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #83
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerMtn View Post
I got back from my honeymoon and just finished catching up on this thread. I'll have to do some thinking about what to tie and then get them banged out. Are we still aiming for the end of the month?
Congrats!!!

We are roughly aiming for the end of the month but don't kill yourself trying to meet that deadline.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #84
serotonin
ember

Ding!
Flies are done.

I wanted to do a fly which is a significant fish catcher and easy to tie.
While not obscure, it's age and origins certainly are. Some people say that it originated in the 1700's. Others suggest that it is more than 700 years old.

I chose the Grey Hackle Peacock and followed Don Bastian's version of it.
It can be fished in all types of water; from the largest rivers to small streams, and big lakes to small ponds.

serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #85
ADKpikebuster

Nice lookin hook, strap a worm and sinker on that bad boy and you have a trout slayer

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #86
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
Nice lookin hook, strap a worm and sinker on that bad boy and you have a trout slayer
Why don't you strap an anchor on your ankle and go ice fishing.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #87
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Ding!
Flies are done.

I wanted to do a fly which is a significant fish catcher and easy to tie.
While not obscure, it's age and origins certainly are. Some people say that it originated in the 1700's. Others suggest that it is more than 700 years old.

I chose the Grey Hackle Peacock and followed Don Bastian's version of it.
It can be fished in all types of water; from the largest rivers to small streams, and big lakes to small ponds.

Sero,

Nice choice. I have some info on that pattern. Vtflyfish actually developed it in the year 1640. Hopefully you have twisted the peacock with a dubbing loop and then wrapped over some fresh cement on the hook for durability. The Splake will really tear into that thing.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #88
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Sero,

Nice choice. I have some info on that pattern. Vtflyfish actually developed it in the year 1640. Hopefully you have twisted the peacock with a dubbing loop and then wrapped over some fresh cement on the hook for durability. The Splake will really tear into that thing.
Glen exaggerates. That fly is much newer. I developed it sometime in the 1680's.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #89
serotonin
ember

Well, now that the question of it's age and origin has been solved or clearly muddied up...
Now what?

I suspect that Dame Julianna Berners might take issue with Vt's claims of credit; and being a nun, might give him a good whippin' for it with a stick so old he might be unfamiliar with it's construction but not it's sting.

Not that she invented the fly, but that something terrifyingly similar was number six on her infamous list of twelve published in 1496.

The suggestions that it originated in the 1700's might merely refer to it's distant great grandchild with the red tail. http://stevenojai.tripod.com/ghpea.htm

Yes Glen. I did use fresh cement for durability, but I skipped the dubbing loop for reasons relating to ancient tradition and laziness. I did however make the cement from a proprietary blend of highly refined spruce gums and secret whiffy ingredients.

At one point -due to the age of this thing- I thought of fashioning my own hooks from scratch. Mining my own metal ore, smelting, wire forming, etc...
Thank goodness that thought went away.

Which led me to a box of Mustad 3399A's of some 1970's vintage and in pristine condition (Made in Norway. Where are Mustad's made now?). After tying a few, I decided that I didn' t like the way the eyes were formed, and the barbs were Big; even after pinching them down.

So I made my own hooks.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #90
BleeckerMtn

got mine all finished up last night. Will shove them in the mail this afternoon on their way to the green mountain state. I'm fairly certain that the pattern isn't 100 years old but its a fish catcher so I don't think I'll hear too many complaints.

I went for a #12 hare's ear with a grizzly soft hackle collar aka "Guides Choice Hare's Ear". I recently moved and have no idea where my tying tools dissipated to. One would think that they would be with my tying materials but that would make way too much sense. I had to tie these all without a bobbin holder or hackle pliers or scissors or whip finisher. Still, I think that they came out fine and they should catch some fish.

I've heard of Lee Wolf tying #28 grizzly midges with just his fingertips (no vise). I actually know that it's true because I have one that he tied for my grandfather. Needless to say, that one never gets tied onto a leader.

Last edited by BleeckerMtn; 02-27-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #91
gmorin71

Quote:
got mine all finished up last night. Will shove them in the mail this afternoon on their way to the green mountain state. I'm fairly certain that the pattern isn't 100 years old but its a fish catcher so I don't think I'll hear too many complaints.

I went for a #12 hare's ear with a grizzly soft hackle collar aka "Guides Choice Hare's Ear. I recently moved and have no idea where my tying tools dissipated to. One would think that they would be with my tying materials but that would make way too much sense. I had to tie these all without a bobbin holder or hackle pliers or scissors or whip finisher. Still, I think that they came out fine and they should catch some fish.

I've herd of Lee Wolf tying #28 grizzly midges with just his fingertips (no vise). I actually know that it's true because I have one that he tied for my grandfather. Needless to say, that one never gets tied onto a leader.
I love fishing hare's ears, cant wait to see it!
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #92
BleeckerMtn

Stupid fly swap always gives me the fishing bug too early in the year. I can't get anything done because I keep fantasizing about trips for this year!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #93
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Stupid fly swap always gives me the fishing bug too early in the year. I can't get anything done because I keep fantasizing about trips for this year!
Yup.

Four boxes of flies arrived today!��
Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #94
wildbrookies

Just an update...
Ruffed Grouse tailfeathers in the red phase have been soaked ,split and depithed,so ready for tying this weekend!! Fingers are crossed nothing happens important before then.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #95
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
I love fishing hare's ears, cant wait to see it!
You have a Hares Ear dry fly coming
Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #96
serotonin
ember

My buddy Homer j (Meathook) has tied for us the Alexandra wet.
We will send our flies by Monday via Interstate Milkman.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #97
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
My buddy Homer j (Meathook) has tied for us the Alexandra wet.
We will send our flies by Monday via Interstate Milkman.
Interstate Milkman??? Monument Farms here in town will surely be gunning for him. I'd use the flying monkeys. There's always a bag of treats here for them when they drop in.

Got Gman's flies today...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #98
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Interstate Milkman??? Monument Farms here in town will surely be gunning for him. I'd use the flying monkeys. There's always a bag of treats here for them when they drop in.

Got Gman's flies today...
My fly is the is a Dorato Hare's Ear. There was an article on it in American Angler around 1985 and the originator Bill Dorato was from the Albany area.

The fly is a caddis imitation. It has upright wings where a caddis has down wings. But caddis never just sit there. They buzz and lay eggs and that is what this fly does so well. The speckling of grizzly hackle, woodduck bared feathers and the hairy, spikey Hare's Ear simulates the buzzing movement of the caddis.

Bill Dorato's original had a short tail (caddis have no tail) only to balance the fly and tied in the Catskill style where the wing and hackle are further back then a standard dry fly with an exposed section of the hook just back of the hook eye (for tying a turle knot).

Most anglers tie it on a #14 and #16. I tied the fly on a #12 hook which simulates a caddis that is called the Alder Fly or Zebra Caddis that hatches in NY rivers and ponds. It is also a good searching fly because it floats well and is buggy looking. Some anglers clipped the bottom of the hackle flush with the hook point so it balances better.

I thought this fly was a later, more complicated version of the Vermont Hare's Ear but it precedes the VT Hare's Ear by at least a decade.

Last edited by Gman; 02-28-2015 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Too much Scotch...and Reverend Maclean said once again half as long.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #99
EagleCrag

I'm not participating this year, but would love to see some pictures of all the flies.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #100
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I'm not participating this year, but would love to see some pictures of all the flies.

Eagle,

I've discussed this with Vtflyfish and we agree that you will not get pictures due to your many derogatory comments about Splake. Should you repent, we will reopen the matter.