Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #161
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Okay...I'll bite Why?

BTW...I should have tied the fly on #10 hooks.
I love Sero's cripple, that's an incredibly effective dry and yes, I'd like your tying instructions.

As for the Despair, this has been in my arsenal for a fair while. Gman, yours are amazing. A fellow Canadian, Gord Deval, uses them in much larger sizes (size 6) for huge brookies in northern Quebec. He thinks it's the most effective big brookie fly ever.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #162
Gman

Here is Gord Deval's version which differs slightly from the original that I tie:

http://outdoorcanada.ca/2458/gear/ta...best-trout-fly
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #163
serotonin
ember

Quigley Quest

There are many variations on Quigley's Cripple.
Here's how I tied the one for the Swap,
and the order in which the materials were tied in:

Hook: Size14 1X Fine Emerger; pinched barb
Thread: Brown/Purple 3/0 Waxed Monocord
Trailing Shuck: Brown Marabou (tips)
Rib: Copper Ultra Wire; counter-wound
Abdomen: Remainder of Marabou; twisted counter-clockwise, then wrapped
Thorax: I omitted that
Wings: Deer Hair
Hackle: Maybe 4 wraps Brownish Grizzly
Head: Thread

The fly was designed for various mayfly hatches, but also works during caddis emergence, compound hatches, and as a searching pattern during no hatch. On windy days it will imitate knock-down duns.
It will also take snotty monsters during spinner falls, imitating drowned or battered spinners.

It is designed to float partially above the water, and partially below; at the same time.

Of course it can, and should, be tied in various sizes and colors.

A bushier version can be tied with more hair and hackle for pocket water.
A slimmer version may be preferred on slower flatter water.
The one I tied is kind of an all-purpose provocateur.

The original I believe was tied on a straight shank dry fly hook.
The fish don't seem to mind.
Yeah, I used 3/0 Monocord. I like to crank down the hair w/o being gentle.
The fish don't seem to mind. And the fly lasts a Long time.
In the past, I have also used heavier scud hooks to float them lower in the meniscus.
For particularly picky fish.

I used bleached deer hair for better visibility. There will be days when the fish want darker ones; a little light-colored antron can be added to a darker-colored deer hair wing to aid the fisher-person's eyesight.

Almost any marabou will work for the shuck and abdomen, but blood-quill will impart more subtle movement and "breathing" qualities.
I've also used antron for the shuck, and various materials for the abdomen; dubbing, peacock, quills, etc. They all work.

There is a nice simplicity about the original marabou version, and it probably has more movement. Plus it holds water and sinks the abdomen and shuck, like it's supposed to. It gets beat up by trout teeth quicker, but this fly gets better when it's battered. Thus the Pre-chewed Charlie version which I can't go into on a public forum.

The counter rib helps to hold the mess together for a dozen extra fish or much more than that. (It also helps to prevent the abdomen and shuck from floating).
I once caught about fifty fish on one Quigley before I relegated it to the sunken-dropper bin. I usually find a way to lose the fly before I get to fifty.

Remember, this fly is designed to imitate a messed up (and vulnerable) bug. A cripple, a knockdown, a stuck-in-the shuck stillborn. Or a down-and-out drowned or dying spinner. It's supposed to look forked up.

So if your first attempts at tying this fly don't look good to you, fish it anyway.
Let the trout decide. You might be surprised.

It's fun to dead-drift this fly and it will take some pretty smart fish.
If you encounter a very snotty one that's only window shopping... before you change flies, here's a few other ways to fish it:

If it's a Really Big Fish and I am disciplined that day, I will change to a smaller and/or slimmer and differently colored Quigmond. Otherwise I try twitching it somewhere during the drift. Especially when searching after a few empty dead drifts.

This low-floating fly can even be skated. One day a buddy saw me taking a number of nice fish on a severely skated Quigley Cripple and immediately dubbed it "The Kerrigan".

This fly can also be purposely sunken upon landing, then drifted and swung. It has even taken fish while being stripped underwater.
Sometimes they don't want to stay sunken and bob back up... which isn't always a bad thing.

An average Quigley is buoyant enough to handle a small bead-head dropper in medium water. Tied off the bend, I often fish two different floating Quigley's simultaneously when I am confused, which is most of the time.

And when you encounter that Big Snotty window-shopper, who comes up and presses his nose against the surface of the stream where your Quigley is, but doesn't want to buy it.... try trimming the hackle from the underside. Then show it to him again. You might discover a different look on his face. And yours as well.

Which reminds me; I've been known to tie Quigley's with no hackle at all.
Laziness can pay dividends.

This brings us to the final and possibly most important part of the Quigley Monologue/Discursus; but first, a few Quigley tidbits.

When out on the water, never refer to this fly as a Quigley Cripple.
You are charged with inventing a pseudonym for it; otherwise it won't work.
In my case, on our local waters it is known as a Mr. Crowley; that infamous cripple.
Or Mr. Charming.
Mr. Alarming.

In addition, you are required to know the words of Ozzy'z Mr.Crowley and sing them upon landing your first trout with this fly, while exchanging the name Crowley with Quigley. Failure to do so will result in grave danger to yourself and those around you. Hoodoo. Evil djinn. And the fish will know.

Now it gets serious.

Have you wondered why the thorax was omitted in the tie for the swap?
According to ancient Voudun customs, the ingredients of gris-gris must be an odd number, preferably no more than seven, with the final ingredient added by the beneficiary. Thus, i have also omitted the smoke and sawdust and any pre-chewing salival ingredients. Please find included:

1) hook
2) thread
3) marabou feather
4) copper wire
5) deer hair
6) grizzly rooster hackle

In order to activate the gris-gris for Good, recipients must add one ingredient.
If I may be so bold, I suggest a quality Floatant of your own choosing, applied only to the hair and hackle.

Good Tidings and Blessings to All.
Good Luck. Good JuJu. Good MoJo.
Now get out there and start you very own Quigley Hatch!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #164
serotonin
ember

OK.
If that's the way it's gonna be...

More fish for me.
Bless my Soul
Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #165
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
OK.
If that's the way it's gonna be...

More fish for me.
Bless my Soul
I was down South and missed this. Love the Crowley story! I'm thinking of tying a variant for the ponds - a cross between Crowley and a Tom Thumb. Whaddya think???
Old 05-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #166
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I'm thinking of tying a variant for the ponds - a cross between Crowley and a Tom Thumb. Whaddya think???
What can i say?

Ce que j'ai fais, ce soir la
Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir la
Realisant mon espoir
Je me lance, vers la gloire ... OK

Loosely translated might be:

What I made, that evening
What she said, that evening
Realizing my hope
I launch myself towards glory