Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #41
ehsfishin72

For what it's worth, I bumped into a state forester in the area and he said that Sargents Pond was also suspected of having bass introduced by the same person
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #42
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
As was said before "show me"
Glen and I both heard the story directly from two now-retired DEC biologists. These are serious brook trout guys with no axe to grind or political agenda. And they had the personal integrity not to release the name of the perpetrator. If it had been the DEC itself, they would have said so. They've 'fessed up publicly to mistakes they've made in the past.

Similar threats have been made against at least one other pond in response to DEC actions. I don't know whether it was the same person(s) or not.

So it's time for us to stop arguing about it and maybe put some serious proposals in front of those who draft laws and regulations. I propose:

• Significant funding increase for DEC enforcement (when's the last time you had your license checked???)
  • A significant increase in the fine for illegally introducing invasive species. $10K plus the cost of reclamation would be a good starting point.
  • A very significant reward system for turning in violators or providing information that leads to a conviction. This ought to be enough $$ to make someone think twice about who might turn them in.
  • An education program with a consistent, logical and truthful message about the impact of invasives on our fisheries. This could be through schools, fishing clubs, public meetings, etc?
Your thoughts???
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #43
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsfishin72 View Post
For what it's worth, I bumped into a state forester in the area and he said that Sargents Pond was also suspected of having bass introduced by the same person
So the cost of this one event is somewhere in the range of $20K to $50K to reclaim the pond. Then there's the loss of use for 3 to 4 years... I'd like to see the perpetrator forced to pay for the damage done.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #44
Gman

The solution is more Splake.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #45
ehsfishin72

I'm not sure what could possibly be a fitting punishment or fine for purposely causing such damage.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #46
ADKpikebuster

Should put pike in those ponds that's a good solution

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #47
streamer

No one's taking your bait buster. ..Move along
streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #48
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer View Post
No one's taking your bait buster. ..Move along
Perfect!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #49
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I don't understand your point. I spoke with DEC people directly who told me of threats prior to the introduction. What do you want me to "show you"? Satellite pictures of the perpetrator? You think this is unusual behavior given the fact that 90 percent of former brook trout habitat have introduced fish?
Not saying that it has never happened somewhere but do you really think that DEC would ever admit to screwing up like this. I fish with a retired DEC wildlife Biologist every year on Lake Ontario and he will tell you that if people only knew of some of the things that they have done they would hang someone. Also you might want to ask Mrs Whitney
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #50
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Glen and I both heard the story directly from two now-retired DEC biologists. These are serious brook trout guys with no axe to grind or political agenda. And they had the personal integrity not to release the name of the perpetrator. If it had been the DEC itself, they would have said so. They've 'fessed up publicly to mistakes they've made in the past.

Similar threats have been made against at least one other pond in response to DEC actions. I don't know whether it was the same person(s) or not.

So it's time for us to stop arguing about it and maybe put some serious proposals in front of those who draft laws and regulations. I propose:

• Significant funding increase for DEC enforcement (when's the last time you had your license checked???)
  • A significant increase in the fine for illegally introducing invasive species. $10K plus the cost of reclamation would be a good starting point.
  • A very significant reward system for turning in violators or providing information that leads to a conviction. This ought to be enough $$ to make someone think twice about who might turn them in.
  • An education program with a consistent, logical and truthful message about the impact of invasives on our fisheries. This could be through schools, fishing clubs, public meetings, etc?
Your thoughts???
http://www.ammoland.com/2011/08/new-...#axzz3Sl3StiTZ

Maybe better spending and management would also be a good idea.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #51
adkman12986

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/08/new-...#axzz3Sl3StiTZ

Not sure why links are not working but copy and paste it
Old 02-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #52
ADKpikebuster

Dec are just humans, and I know some of them that are dumber then the average person from NYC. The state should jack up out of state licenses deter out of state people from fishing the ADKs. Either way makes no difference to me I'm off the trail, I don't run into these petty issues where I fish

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #53
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Not saying that it has never happened somewhere but do you really think that DEC would ever admit to screwing up like this. I fish with a retired DEC wildlife Biologist every year on Lake Ontario and he will tell you that if people only knew of some of the things that they have done they would hang someone. Also you might want to ask Mrs Whitney

Unfortunately I don't have a direct line to Mrs. Whitney. I do know, for a fact, that there are people in your very neighborhood who have caused some serious issues. I will leave it at that.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #54
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
Dec are just humans, and I know some of them that are dumber then the average person from NYC. The state should jack up out of state licenses deter out of state people from fishing the ADKs. Either way makes no difference to me I'm off the trail, I don't run into these petty issues where I fish
pikebuster, you continue to amaze me with your lack of insight into the problem. This is a local issue perpetrated by local people. And just because you're off trail doesn't make your ponds safe from illegal stocking.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #55
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
pikebuster, you continue to amaze me with your lack of insight into the problem. This is a local issue perpetrated by local people. And just because you're off trail doesn't make your ponds safe from illegal stocking.

Really? Your amazed at that? LOL
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #56
marzrw

Quote:
Quote:

Really? Your amazed at that? LOL

It's not a lack of insight. He just doesn't care and is just out to PISS people off and he is very good at doing it. I believe in most internet circles he is called a "troll".
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #57
serotonin
ember

Strange.

Imagine the outcry if somebody blew the top 100 feet off of Mt. Marcy w/explosives.
Then somebody irreparably destroys forever the habitat of a lake (Little Tupper) which held a species intact for 12,000 years, and people barely bat an eyelid.

Some people even make fun of it.
Some people think it's pristine.

Strange.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #58
Brookie hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Strange.

Imagine the outcry if somebody blew the top 100 feet off of Mt. Marcy w/explosives.
Then somebody irreparably destroys forever the habitat of a lake (Little Tupper) which held a species intact for 12,000 years, and people barely bat an eyelid.

Some people even make fun of it.
Some people think it's pristine.

Strange.
Thats probably because almost anyone can hike up Mt. Marcy and not everyone can catch a trophy brook trout. So they put other fish in.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #59
ehsfishin72

I think a petition and public info statement would be a start. Put the petitions up all over town and on the internet. The only way The Gov. will take any action is if there is public demand for action
Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 PM   #60
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
It is a sad fact....some the most beautiful places are inhabited by the ugliest people.

I don't expect you to understand that.