Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
saveatree,eatabeaver

Winter High Peak

Next weekend (January 31st), I'm looking to climb a high peak. While I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what a good peak would be. The small group i'm hiking with is in good physical condition and has the proper gear (snowshoes, no skis). Any suggestions would bee helpful
Thanks

Support your local forest ranger, get lost.

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.
saveatree,eatabeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
oldsmores

Is this your first high peak? Your first winter high peak? Without knowing your experience level, I'd recommend what is generally considered the easiest peak - Cascade - and you can add Porter. Algonquin (and Wright), Big Slide, and Giant are also relatively short.
Be prepared to turn back if conditions warrant.
oldsmores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

I did colvin few weeks back. My buddy did get blake too. That was a nice day for me. this being my first too. I am looking for a follow -up now, maybe RRP/giant...big slide does sound nice too, loved that summer hike, awesome views more than 50% of your time.
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
saveatree,eatabeaver

Not, this isn't our first high peak. We've tried to challenge ourselves with every climb, but for our first winter peak, something easy would probably be a good idea. We've knocked off Giant and Rockey Peak as well as Colden via the Trap Dyke.

As of now, it's looking like it'll be either Big Slide or Streeter/Nye

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Big Slide would make a good first winter high peak. I would recommend going in via John's Brook, and coming out over the brothers.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

SAT-EAB: Nye & Street, or Phelps & Tabletop would be all right, too. I also advise that you buy one or more Adirondack guide books and research the peaks before continuing to hike in winter conditions.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
teleboy33
teleboy33

winter high peak

If it's clear do Brothers (great snack spot) first you can see the Great Range then Big Slide if you have time, then out by JBL mostly down hill.
teleboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
saveatree,eatabeaver

Alright, phelps it is. I'm taking it easy for the first one as this is a learning experience. My winter hiking has never included a mountain...

Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveatree,eatabeaver View Post
My winter hiking has never included a mountain...
Oh don't worry, it's pretty much just like regular winter hiking, just with a lot more "UP!"
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
saveatree,eatabeaver

And it is done! Phelps was a perfect choice. It got us psyched of a few more before the winter is gone. Next on the list is Streeter/Nye. Any advice about those or other possible peaks?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
jrbren

Street and Nye seems like it would be much more challenging then Phelps in winter, because it is a non maintained trail to these summits. Most importantly, there are no trail markers on the trees and the heard path worn into the ground will be under the snow. I do not know how much traffic these get in winter, if the trail is broken by someone who knew what they were doing then it should be easy to follow the snowshoe tracks. I would want my map and compass skills down very well before trying this in winter as I would not trust snowshoe tracks in front of me necessarily were going the right way. But the only winter 46er non maintained trail peak I have done is Esther, which is really obvious to follow even if not broken since it stays on the ridge (although the summit is marked by a marker on the ground(rocks) which will also be under the snow and there are a couple of false summits, so knowing what the summit looked like helped my on that trip). But Esther is usually broken anyway so this would be a safe bet. The winter peaks I like to stick to are the more popular ones that are less 10 miles round trip. Big Slide, Phelps, Algonquin, Wright, Whiteface, Esther, Giant, Noonmark, Pitchoff, Hurricane, ...