Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Grizzle Ocean, PLWA, 17 Sep, 2019

Today was a long overdue revisit to Grizzle Ocean in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area.

Way back in the spring of 2012, this was the first hike that Tredhed and I did when we first started hiking together again after a 25 year gap.

Back then, we thought the trails were so rocky and the hills so steep, we vowed to never return.

Seven years of ADK hiking have taught us that this hike isn't as bad as we remembered.

Arriving at the Putnam Pond Campground, we cheerfully paid the $6 day use fee and parked at the boat launch site. After quick gear check, we were off.

The yellow disked trail brought us down the east shore of Putnam Pond.

After a mile or so, we came to the spur trail to Putnam Pond. The view from the landing was especially spectacular on this late summer morning.

As we walked the half mile up the Grizzle Ocean outlet stream, we passed a couple that was hiking out of Pharaoh Lake with their two dogs.

Nice folks and beautiful dogs!

A few minutes after encountering the only people we saw all day. we arrived at the loop trail around the lake.

We decided to go counter clockwise around the pond. Since we went clockwise in 2012, it only made sense to go the other direction this time.

In a few minutes we came to the bridge over the outlet swamp.

The views of Thunderbolt Mountain were nice from the bridge.

Just after crossing the bridge, we turned left on the sparsely marked red trail that looped around the pond.

We stopped at a rocky point on the west shore of the pond to soak up some scenery.

Feeling a little peckish, we continued on the red loop trail until we came to the lean-to.

Here, we dropped our packs and had a little gnosh.

After feasting on our meager rations, we picked up a few small pieces of litter and explored some.

The views from the east shore were pretty nice.

After a while, all that was left to do was say good-bye to the well kept lean-to...

...and head back down the trail to the Putnam Pond parking area.

While driving back down I-87, we made a vow not to wait another seven years until we returned to Grizzle Ocean.

It's too nice of a destination not to visit on a regular basis. So, notch up another great hike in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness for Tick and Tred.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-17-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
Woodly

Nice, Thanks, I've never been there, that should change.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
TrailBlaser

Nice photos! Brings back some memories of my last visit. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Nice photos TM, thanks for sharing.
Hopefully Tabe did the right thing & came back for his undies...

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Nice photos TM, thanks for sharing.
Hopefully Tabe did the right thing & came back for his undies...

I thought Tabe was more of a 'granny panty" type of guy?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Tabe

Crap!Thats where I left them.
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Crap!Thats where I left them.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Someone must have hung their facemask there to dry and forgot it!
Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Nice photos. The "back stretch" of the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness (Rock and Clear Ponds, and Grizzle Ocean) tends to be a lot quieter than the western ponds- especially compared to Pharaoh and Crane. I think the day use fee (in season) to park at Putnam Pond keeps the usage levels low during the Summer, on top of the added driving distance from I-87 to get to Putnam Pond.

With that being said, it's always seemed like Grizzle Ocean was a more popular destination than either Rock or Clear Ponds. In terms of scenic beauty, they're all pretty equal (although I think Rock Pond just barely edges out the other two in this regard). I've always wondered if the unique name is part of the attraction- where else can you claim to have visited (or even camped on) an "ocean" without actually having visited one our planets more massively-sized bodies of water?

BTW, in your 4th image (the bridge over the outlet of Grizzle Ocean), you can see taller reeds emerging from the marsh. These are phragmites- which is typically considered to incredibly invasive within NY State. I reported this particular patch to the Adirondack Park Invasive Plant Program (APIPP) a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if they ever confirmed it, but they indicated that based on my photos, it may actually be a patch of native phragmites- which would be a somewhat notable find in itself.

Did you see the designated tent site on the east shore? It's a smaller site, set up and away from the water, but otherwise a pretty nice campsite.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Tick Magnet

Phragmites are nasty!

I commented to Tredhed that I was surprised to see them here.

We missed the designated campsite! Bummer, now we'll have to go back
Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Tick Magnet, thanks for posting, it looks like a beautiful place. Does anyone know the history of the name? Both halves seem rather odd, to be applied to fairly normal pond.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Tick Magnet, thanks for posting, it looks like a beautiful place. Does anyone know the history of the name? Both halves seem rather odd, to be applied to fairly normal pond.
Zach
According to McMartin and Ingersoll "Discover the Eastern ADKs", Grizzle Ocean is named after Tom Grizzle who discovered the pond and regaled his friends with stories of all the fish he caught. Hence the name: Tom Grizzle's Ocean.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 10-14-2019 at 08:45 AM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
According to McMartin and Ingersoll "Discover the Easter ADKs", Grizzle Ocean is named after Tom Grizzle who discovered the pond and regaled his friends with stories of all the fish he caught. Hence the name: Tom Grizzle's Ocean.
Is it now fishable or dead due to acid rain?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Thanks, that's great to know. It's interesting that the 's got dropped from the name somewhere along the way, but I guess that sort of thing is fairly common with Adirondack place names.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
Tredhed
Lost Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Is it now fishable or dead due to acid rain?
There are fish in the lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catfish.jpg (135.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
Woodly

Cats would know....thanks.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #17
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Thanks TM - great pics...further piqued my interest to get back there. Has anyone does this in winter? Looks like it might be nice then...
Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Thanks TM - great pics...further piqued my interest to get back there. Has anyone does this in winter? Looks like it might be nice then...
The open front of the lean-to faces southwest as well as the pond. It's ideally situated to get the full brunt of the wind. Nice on a hot, buggy summer day. Not so nice in the depths of winter.

The Clear Pond lean-to sort of faces the wind also. The Rock Pond lean-to faces away from the wind, and the Little Rock Pond lean-to is nicely sheltered away from the water. (All three bodies of water, Grizzle, Clear, and Rock, are nice and worth visiting.)

I believe that the road isn't plowed through the campground, so you'll have to figure out how to park near the snowplow turn around without blocking traffic.

On the plus side, you can ski/snowshoe across Putnam Pond so that adds some variety.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post

I believe that the road isn't plowed through the campground, so you'll have to figure out how to park near the snowplow turn around without blocking traffic.

On the plus side, you can ski/snowshoe across Putnam Pond so that adds some variety.
Thanks Brendan -

On the plus side, I'll be moving to Schroon Lake next month, so I think this area will become my new playground, since it'll be quite close!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Thanks Brendan -

On the plus side, I'll be moving to Schroon Lake next month, so I think this area will become my new playground, since it'll be quite close!
You'll learn to avoid Crane Pond and Pharaoh Lake on Summer (and early Autumn) weekends.