Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
mink

Garmin 60CSx

I'm thinking of buying this handheld gps, possibly within the next few weeks, and I was wondering what else I will need to purchase to get the topos of the adirondacks on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
fisher39

I've had mine for a couple of years and absolutely love it - it is the best electronic gadget I have. The only additional item I got was the TOPO US disk - depending on your memory you select a specific area to upload.

What I enjoy most is using it to keep track of my travels, which I then upload into Google Earth. And of course knowing exactly where that little slot through the blowdown or spruce swamp is nice too.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Alpine1

I second Fisher39's thoughts on the 60csx. So far I have been able to leave this unit in my pack and it has not lost a signal. A remarkable improvement from the earlier 60cs models.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

I have the earlier Garmin 60C model which has been an invaluable little gadget for me on many a trip. It does lose signal from time to time under the forest canopy but comes back fairly quickly. I understand that the later models you are referring to have an improved satellite reception.

I also use the Garmin Mapsource Topo for the U.S. at a 1:100,000 scale as well as Garmin US Topo 24K East which includes many National Parks, National Forests, State Parks (including the Adirondacks) at a 1:24,000 scale. I highly recommend the Garmin products (though the NG topo maps are best in my book).
Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
mink

So the maps have to be purchased separately, and then downloaded onto the gps?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mink View Post
So the maps have to be purchased separately, and then downloaded onto the gps?
Yes, and only the Garmin TOPO maps will work with the Garmin GPS units, to the best of my knowledge. Though the NG Topos are the best (IMHO), they will not work with the units. Some of the other experts out there can either confirm or elaborate further.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Alpine1

Actually there is a non Garmin map program that circulated this forum some time ago that also works with Garmin units. I recall it had greater contour detail for hiking/bushwhacking but lacked trail detail. If you search the forum archives you should find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
Yes, and only the Garmin TOPO maps will work with the Garmin GPS units, to the best of my knowledge. Though the NG Topos are the best (IMHO), they will not work with the units. Some of the other experts out there can either confirm or elaborate further.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
nutmeg creeker

I've had mine for nearly two years and really love using it to record my trips--both canoe and xc-ski. Speed, ascent, etc are all data easy to access. On canoe trips, it's much easier to pinpoint location and to continue to tne chosen destination. Having said that, I always carry maps anyway--they complement each other well. I haven't kept up with the soft ware since I bought the unit, but at the time the cd which came with it was useful only with PC's. Apple/MAC products used another package, which, I think, had to be downloaded. They have a help line, but accessing it, especially for the MAC info, took a long time. Finally,there probably aren't too many people out there who use every capability that this wonderful piece of gear offers. I really wouldn't want to be without it. Even when you know right where you are and where you're going, it's fun to play with. LINK TO NYS TOPO ===
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/111/

Last edited by nutmeg creeker; 08-25-2010 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: add link
nutmeg creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
dpc34

I love my etrex-vista HCx
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
mink

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Just bought the 60csx the other day. Can't wait to try it out!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
Thoth

I've had a 60csx for several years. It tends to record mileage poorly under heavy coverage but maintains locations well. I use it quite a bit on motorcycle rides, bike rides, and when I still lived out west used it extensively for winter mountaineering on up to 40 mile days over 12k passes and in deep snow covered woods. I've been happy with it since day one. With the expandable memory I don't see how you could go wrong. Even if it gets damaged Garmin will rebuild it for around 100 dollars.
Thoth is offline   Reply With Quote