Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
saabrian

Ground level views at fire tower summits

So I am doing the fire tower challenge. Only trouble is that I am not a big fan of heights so I don't actually climb the fire towers (being able to see through the steps to the bottom kills me). Yes I know, an odd trait for someone who climbs mountains.

I've done 8 so far: Hurricane, Goodnow, Hadley, Black, Belfry, Kane, Spruce and Cathedral Rock.

I was wondering which of the others had decent views without climbing the tower.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
snav3

Off the top of my head, Lyon, Bald, Azure, Snowy, Pokamoonshine, all have at least some good views outside the tower. There may be others I'm not thinking of, St Regis?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Nehasane

It has been a long time since I climbed a lot of these but very roughly in order of best views 1st: St Regis, Owls Head, Gore, Bald, Azure, Snowy, Arab. Overlook in the Catskills.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
mooregm

Was looking for a way to take my mind off work at lunch...here is what I came up with.

Arab Mountain - Good

Azure Mountain - Good

Bald Mountain - Good

Belfry Mountain - Some (and not overlooking wilderness if I remember right)

Black Mountain - Good

Blue Mountain - Good

Cathedral Rock - None? (one of the few I have not done - quick look online suggest none)

Goodnow Mountain - None

Gore Mountain - None at tower itself. Many places along the way.

Hadley Mountain - Great

Hurricane Mountain - Great

Kane Mountain - Some, particularly downhill from the old cabin.

Loon Lake Mountain - on my to-hike list

Lyon Mountain - Good

Mount Adams - ?? We're saving this for the final one.

Owls Head Mountain - Good

Pillsbury Mountain - Some? I didn't take pictures at the bottom. A good part is tree-lined, but there may be a one-direction view.

Poke-O-Moonshine Mountain - Great

Saint Regis Mountain - Great

Snowy Mountain - Good

Spruce Mountain (refurbished July 2015) - ??

Stillwater Mountain (added in 2016) - None to minor - was there this spring and family was picnicking at base so I didn't stay at base long.

Vanderwhacker Mountain - None@tower. I remember lookouts along the way.

Wakely Mountain - None? Some lookouts here and there (Note: tower was recently closed)

Woodhull Mountain - None
mooregm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
real3175

Just did Loon Lake Mountain this past weekend, excellent views, and you cant even climb the tower! Like you, I too am afraid of heights and can only go up about 2/3 flights then sit on the platform so I don't panic too much. My wife on the other hand, climbs right to the top with no issue. There were even more views on the south side face but there was a snake sun bathing on that side so I quickly ran away. We are about half-way through the FT challenge, hope to see you out there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151845...57682297740904
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Blue mountain has views from the summit level? I've been up at least two times and I don't recall this. Did something change?

I don't think Wakely has any that I recall either. Last time I climbed it the tower was open, and super sketchy.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
mohawk
chief

If you are doing the challenge, no need to care about the views, as views or no views, you will still have to complete the hikes. Savor what you can.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
IndLk_Brett

If and when it reopens Wakely has a pretty decent view from the helipad just before you reach the actual tower.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Bark Eater Too

Clarification: Gore doesn't technically have fire tower views any longer because of all sorts of EMF comm equipment mounted thereon and lots of warning signs not to trespass (I complied). There are AWESOME views from the tops of a couple of the ski runs nearby.

There are places where you can get partial views on Blue from ground level but certainly no 360.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote