Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
malexander

Wild Siamese Ponds 6/17/2017

Hiked into Siamese Ponds today to do a little exploration. Having a white tail deer cross the road in front of me within view of the trail head should have been a indication of how my day would go. I was happy to see that the black flies have thinned out but unfortunately they appear to have been replaced with hoards of mosquitoes and a few horse flies. The head net stayed on most of the day.

I hit the Eleventh Mt trail head shortly after 9am and quickly soaked through my pants and socks. The previous nights rain had soaked everything, replenished the muddy areas of the trail and left low overcast skies. Despite the overnight rain, the trail was littered with animal tracks - mostly deer but I spotted several moose tracks and some other clawed critters. I hiked at an uncharacteristically slow pace in an attempt to be quiet and see the woods before the woods heard me. Apparently I still need practice since I flushed a deer before I could see it.

After a couple of hours I made it to the lean-to on the river where I relaxed for a little bit and pulled a small brookie from the water. The lean-to is in decent shape and at a great location if you can deal with the trail passing nearby.

I pushed on and was at the Siamese Ponds in 45 minutes, flushing another deer along the way. This one may have been a young buck although I didn't see it's head - not sure if I was snorted at or if it stepped on some unbalanced rocks on it's retreat through a brook.

Once at Siamese Ponds, the sun had come out and created an unwelcome sauna. I spent several hours fishing and exploring. There are some amazing campsites back there! But only for those willing to put in the work to get to them!

On the return trip I flushed out the 3rd white tail of the day. Spent a little more time at the river before I made the call to hike out. I was originally planning on staying the night but figured I had already donated enough blood. Came across a couple of moles and a porkie in the trail on the way out.

Despite the bugs and heat it was great day with lots of wildlife and a trail and pond to myself!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4626 - Copy.JPG (136.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4631.JPG (136.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.JPG (125.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4634.JPG (144.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4638.JPG (129.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4642.JPG (137.4 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by malexander; 06-18-2017 at 06:06 PM..
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Pauly D.

I love your reports but I can't see the pictures in this one for some reason. How was the stream crossing at Siamese Brook? The last time I was there it was impassable. I'm planning to go back in the Fall.

I flushed a big whitetail last weekend in the Hammond Pond Wilderness. He wasn't happy. You're lucky with the wildlife spotting. Deer, Moose... next post we need to see a bear!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
I love your reports but I can't see the pictures in this one for some reason. How was the stream crossing at Siamese Brook? The last time I was there it was impassable. I'm planning to go back in the Fall.

I flushed a big whitetail last weekend in the Hammond Pond Wilderness. He wasn't happy. You're lucky with the wildlife spotting. Deer, Moose... next post we need to see a bear!
Thanks! I'll have to look into the best way to add pictures. They only show up for me when I am logged in. There's probably a better way that keeps them 'public' (Perhaps URL based?). I'm sure someone could clue me in if I am doing something wrong.

The Siamese Brook crossing was no big deal but did require good balance to keep dry.

I'm not sure I want to see another black bear - not up close at least. The first one I saw was 10ft from where I was sleeping in a lean-to at 10pm! There was a report in the trail register of a bear and cubs seen in the area last week.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Tick Magnet

Another great trip! I especially love that little brookie. They're absolutely beautiful.

As far as pictures go, I was in the same boat. My first several years worth of trip reports were .jpg and a lot of people couldn't see them unless they were logged in. This year, I caved in and started to use Google+. When I have the photos loaded in G+, I copy the url of the image and paste it in the "insert image" icon on the forum tool bar. It took me a couple times to get it right, but it changed the way I write trip reports. I let the pictures do most of the talking now.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Justin

Cool report & photos Alex, thanks for sharing.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
BenjaminBentley

You have to sign in to see the pics...nice report
BenjaminBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
dundee

I'm signed in (obviously!) and can't see the pics. all I get is a box with a question mark (?) in it.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
malexander

Thanks for the feedback.

I updated the original post to link from my google drive, although it is a little cumbersome and didn't play nice on my phone until I cleared browser cache. Worst case scenario you can open the attached files if you are logged in

I'll make sure to experiment a little more before I post about my next adventure.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Golddragon214

I was there the 14th and 15th. I stayed at one of the back side sites with an amazing view. I had a Fawn walk right in front of me and stay near me all night. It didnt see or hear a single person either. Great place.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...se%20Ponds.png

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...se%20Ponds.png

I also have a video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aejXhJpPTIY

Last edited by Golddragon214; 06-18-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
I'll make sure to experiment a little more before I post about my next adventure.
Welcome to our beloved outdated anti-facebook Adirondack website.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #11
RIngFly

I enjoyed the video . thanks
RIngFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
fishcane

next time, check out Curtis Clearing for a nice side trip on the way out!

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
fishcane is offline   Reply With Quote