Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
wildbrookies

Where have all the flyfishers gone?

Song to the tune of "Where have all the flowers gone" by Pete Seeger!

Anybody home??
Is it just a lull in the action and pretty dismal time of year for us or did you all pack up and leave?

I literally have been doing nothing even close to fly tying or fly fishing for that matter. Been doing wood projects and building a few ice jigging rods and other projects around the house.I did go snowshoeing on tuesday,for the first time this winter,but no interesting stories or photos to post.Hope some of you stuck around to post something soon.Almost ready to start filling my fly boxes for spring after the jigging rods are done.So, if any of you are left ,I would love to hear from you or see some of your feathered creations and/or projects. When the jigging rods are done,Ill post a few photos of them(I know ,not that exciting...). Well, hope to hear from ya soon!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 01-29-2019 at 01:23 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
WX2CIB

Good afternoon, I haven't done anything fishing related this winter. I will be tying up a bunch of Griffith's Gnats for a swap I am involved with. One fly will be going to the Buffalo University fly fishing club and another one to Project Healing Waters from the Rochester area. The remainder of the flies are for everyone involved with the swap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Pauly D.

WB I just started planning for the annual Spring ice-out adventure. i'm re-reading some old books plus my journal notes as to what worked where and at what times. February will be my tying month and I work on my gear in March. I'll be glad to post some ties along with everyone else. Hopefully some of the old timers from past years will chime in again too. I'm hoping that they are sipping fine scotch and lurking the forum this winter.

I don't know which is better. The fly fishing or the anticipation of fly fishing...
Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
wildbrookies

WX3CID,
That's awesome you donate some flies to great causes. And that you are involved in a fly swap. VT, and others used to run some very nice fly swaps on here in the past.Maybe ,we can again sometime. Hopefully some of those old and new flyfishers/tyers will chime in again.

Pauly D-Yes, this board was the "go to" place when there were discussions on techniques and flies and photos and of course the ribbing and the funny,educational and cool stories. Yeah, once I get squared away with the latest small projects Im on, I`ll dust off my flytying bench and start creating something that trout will like and I`ll post some photos also.Thanks for replying, at least theres a few bites already!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 01-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
chaser
pond jockey

I'm still month away from searching my collection of topos, but ice fishing never quite fills the void of trolling ponds for me.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
NEranger21

I had a low of -26 a few days ago..I'm just trying to survive! I keep saying that i'll tie some "flies" for jigging perch, but I've yet to put any effort in
Old 01-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
St.Regis

I was in the basement looking for a shovel to throw in the back of the truck and had to move a couple canoe paddles to get to it. Does that count? A couple weeks ago I was thinking about doing some some steelie fishing when we get a break in the weather. That thought was spurred on when I was defrosting the chest freezer, and came across some OLD egg sacks. Lol.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I've given up on fly fishing, it's too difficult. 100% wabbler/worm for me from here on out. You heard it here first.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

WB!!! Great to see you post on this subject!

I've been as bad as others in letting this little group die a death. It's too bad - there was always so much good information and so much good natured ribbing. For me, something about Gman passing away made it hard to come back here.

You'll be glad to know that Thomas graduated (now works with me) and Ross is off at UC-Davis. They both still worship the water you wade in. Speaking of, I have a strong hypothesis regarding a certain stretch of water and it has nothing to do with fishing pressure...

It is sad to see Creekwader go over to the dark side. But we were always suspicious of his true nature, weren't we?

I've been tying fairly regularly and will post some of my stuff this weekend. And if there's enough interest, there's still time to do a swap...

So I raise a dram of Single Malt to all and wish you well!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
Blackflie

I am looking forward to trying to adapt my old British still water ways to the new world, but will gladly raise a glass with you all. (Islay will be my first port of call )
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflie View Post
I am looking forward to trying to adapt my old British still water ways to the new world, but will gladly raise a glass with you all. (Islay will be my first port of call )
Old Pulteney here...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
WB!!! Great to see you post on this subject!

It is sad to see Creekwader go over to the dark side. But we were always suspicious of his true nature, weren't we?
MY true nature?? Paging Glen, itís time yet again for the now classic image of VTFlyfish proudly holding up a stringer of worm caught dead brook trout. If Glen is no longer with us or otherwise predisposed, Iím pretty sure I have the picture squirreled away for blackmail purposes.

All kidding about my fly fishing retirement aside, up until it got really cold out I was fly fishing a couple local year round streams and catching some modest fish. Iíve also been devouring a steady diet of Stillwater classics from the likes of Rowley, Chan, Rickards and others along with tying some very different (for me anyway) patterns for next springís pond action. Iím going ice fishing tomorrow up north so hopefully Iíll have a report to post on that.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #13
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

[QUOTE=Creekwader;272746] itís time yet again for the now classic image of VTFlyfish proudly holding up a stringer of worm caught dead brook trout. /QUOTE]
Moi? I'm as pure as the driven snow.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

As for Glen, he's out mapping the Cartesian coordinates defining the relationship between HOT and CRAZY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbK...ature=youtu.be

don't count on him for any meaningful advice on fly fishing for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #15
wildbrookies

I want to thank you all for replying!... quite busy right now ,but would love to thank you all individually at a little later time. Thanks again ! Keep this going!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
As for Glen, he's out mapping the Cartesian coordinates defining the relationship between HOT and CRAZY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbK...ature=youtu.be

don't count on him for any meaningful advice on fly fishing for the foreseeable future.
Sorry WB I don't mean to derail the thread but I can't resist...

VT I've seen this video before and the gentleman is 100% correct. If that is Glen then he should write a book!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:37 AM   #17
ADKpikebuster

Glen has been calling me nonstop trying to set up a fishing trip

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #18
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
Glen has been calling me nonstop trying to set up a fishing trip
He's all yours, mate. I'm done with him. Way too much drama.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #19
serotonin
ember

My name is Serotonin, and I fish.
I fish, because I am not dead yet.

Eis ai a historia
Um ponta de lanca
Um ponta de lanca decidido
Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #20
Glen
Check please

Still alive!

And always happy to help when photo documentation of crimes against nature are occurring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave C worm pic.jpg (90.8 KB, 98 views)
ďOnce there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.Ē
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote