Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
Grey-Jay

Tippet rings?

Anyone try them and love em or hate them? Reading about them-extends leader life and and offers easier dropper set up, but perhaps impacts the cast, spooks the fish, one more tiny item to loose, and can get caught on rocks.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
Anyone try them and love em or hate them? Reading about them-extends leader life and and offers easier dropper set up, but perhaps impacts the cast, spooks the fish, one more tiny item to loose, and can get caught on rocks.
Some people swear by tippet rings and I don't think they spook fish at all.

Too fiddly for me. I don't find tying on a new section with a triple surgeons knot to be an issue. I build my own leaders, fuss with the taper for various situations and thus may be an outlier.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
EagleCrag

I agree with VT. The only thing they save is the length of leader you are tying your tippet to. Can't speak for others, but if I've changed my tippet enough times that the section above it is getting too short, I just tie on a new leader. I also find that I often lose tiny things like those rings.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
wildbrookies

Like VT, I just add tippet material when it gets too short and try to build it midstream via a double surgeon knot. Gotta try a triple surgeons this year. Wetting the lines before drawing the knot tight is a must.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
EagleCrag

WB, I've always found a double surgeon's knot to be adequate. Must be VT needs the triple to handle those heavy hitters he catches.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
wildbrookies

EC,

You're right there.
He does land a lot of big 'uns!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Who, me?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
cookannapurna

Ill take the other side. I tie all my own leaders (and flies for that matter). I started tying an appropriate sized ring on the end of my leaders several years ago. I fish on average about 100 days each year. I find that they dramatically improve the longevity of my leaders, and its easier to change tippet during the day (which means Im more apt to change it when needed, rather than let it go).

I also do a lot of streamer fishing, and love the little swivels. Keeps my tangles to a minimum.

I have found nothing bad about them. I don't notice any difference in my cast or drift (I've even had a handful of trout "hit" the ring!). When my leader is blown beyond repair, I cut off the ring and use it again.
cookannapurna is offline   Reply With Quote