Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your preferred shelter system
Tent 37 43.53%
Hammock 27 31.76%
Lean-to 16 18.82%
Tarp with bivy 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
adirondackcamper

Your preferred shelter system

Just for fun, but a real interest of mine! I'd like to see what time of shelter system folks here prefer when camping for the night? I've only chosen 4 options to choose from. If you have a different shelter other than these, please post it.

This is a hard choice for me. I usually use a tent, but there is just something about adirondack lean-to's that fascinate me. But still I'm choosing tent. A second would be hammock, but I'm so new to hammock camping, so I feel it's wrong for me to choose that right now!
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
Wldrns

I left the ground to sleep in my first hammock more than a dozen years ago. In my Adirondack travels, either by foot or canoe, I am rarely at night anywhere near any trail or designated campsite with flat ground. In the past I have spent way too much time searching for even a tiny reasonably flat open spot for a solo tent in remote places.

With a hammock I am free to set up wherever there are trees spaced 12-15 feet apart. I have never had a problem finding such trees in the Adirondacks within a minute or two (except, ironically, for the few times I find myself in a well used campsite where you must set up near the "camp here" disk). In my hammock I have often slept over rocks, thick brush, wet swamps, and steep slopes - none of which would be even marginally possible for a solo tent or tarp. However, in recent years I have paddled the Yukon River four times, where trees are small and sparse, so it is tenting on gravel bars as the only option.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
12trysomething

I am a hammock camper as well.

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
wiiawiwb

Strictly speaking, a lean-to is my preferred/favorite shelter system. It's always comfortable because I always have an inflatable mattress.

I've been meaning to try a hammock but haven't gotten around to it. One of these days. I don't think it will work for me because I tend to like more, rather than less, space to operate. I'd feel cocooned in it. I'm claustrophobic so I need elbow room.

Carrying a tent that is a two, or three, person, works for me albeit a slight weight penalty. I'm actually looking to pull the trigger on a TT Stratospire II. It is spacious for two people and hotel like for just me. At 46 oz, the weight penalty is only a slight ding.

With a tent, particularly the SSII, I'd have two large vestibules to store gear or even cook in if I have to (not recommended by TT).
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
geogymn

My brother and I were discussing this while under the stars this weekend. I truly can't remember the last time I slept in a tent.
I understand the practicality of these different modes of shelter when one has a destination. But for me it is a tarp sans bivy. With advanced age and reduced energy I have become a leisurely camper. I'll set up camp and use it to explore the surrounding area for the more subtle treasures availed to me by the defenders of the wild.
When I'm out there, I don't want to relinquish a moment. Being encapsulated in a tent transposes me from the wild to the tame. Inside a tent I could be anywhere, like my backyard.
Your always in the woods in a tarp, look around, any time, you are where you want to be. Wake up in the night, feel the heat of the coals or see the moving shadows of the swaying trees. Check the progress of the moon to gauge how far behind is the chasing sun. Whilst in a tent it is a bummer when slumber is arrested, in a tarp it becomes an event seldom experienced. A night in the great North woods! Or being surrounded by a downpour or snowfall and being able to be a witness opposed to running for cover.
Yeah so for me, tarp sans bivy.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

As a hammock camper, I view the hammock as my mattress, the tarp over the hammock is my real shelter.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Last edited by Justin; 10-02-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
12trysomething

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
As a hammock camper, I view the hammock as my mattress, the tarp over the hammock is my real shelter.
Agreed.

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I mostly use a tent, the LTs are nice when it is pouring or when I need to hang things up to dry. I have a Eureka solo Spitfire which is about the right size for me, it is long enough without being hugely wide. On a nice night I can just set up the inner screen part and I can see the sky without the mosquitoes and no-see-ums getting to me. If I need the rain cover it only takes about a minute to put it on, even in the dark. I would like to try a hammock but I don't know if they make them long enough for me. I need to look into this over the winter.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
mossarden

Usually don't camp by myself...and it's usually a boat trip so having a tent is nice...but when I'm on my own I sleep in a hammock or in my boat
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Nice Justin, I always enjoy the pictures of Jenny and your tarp shelter.
Thanks Eric.
Sleeping under a tarp is definitely my favorite during the Spring & Fall.
On warm summer nights with no chance of rain, I prefer a screen walled tent without the rainfly:

During rainy weather I prefer the tent/tarp combo:

During winter I prefer my Eureka Timberline:

I wish that I could sleep well in a hammock.
I've tried it a few times and it's just not for me.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Are those legal sites They look a bit close to the water to me.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Are those legal sites They look a bit close to the water to me.
First one yes, second one maybe not so much.
Best campsites we found then.
100 bucks if anyone can name any of those photo locations.

Last edited by Justin; 10-02-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
First one yes, second one maybe not so much.
I've seen much worse. I know of some that are literally perched right over the water.

I've never actually measured one myself though...

As for the original question. I prefer whatever. I didn't see that as an option. I've just slept on a rock before when it's nice out. I had a tent with me but I preferred the rock

The only one I'm against is illegal hunting cabins
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Wldrns

Quote:
I've seen much worse. I know of some that are literally perched right over the water.

I've never actually measured one myself though...

As for the original question. I prefer whatever. I didn't see that as an option. I've just slept on a rock before when it's nice out. I had a tent with me but I preferred the rock

The only one I'm against is illegal hunting cabins
It's funny. As part of the lean2rescue group, when we rebuild or move leantos, if it is on a "primary stream", being close to the stream, it is ok and when we rebuild to stay there. But on a secondary stream, (after a primary stream joins another) the 150 foot rule applies and the leanto must be moved to 150+ feet away from the water. I don't completely understand, but that is what we are told by the DEC.

However, there are many "camp here" disks that are practically on the water. As campsites are re-evaluated, they are slowly moving tent campsites and leantos to meet the regulation.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I left the ground to sleep in my first hammock more than a dozen years ago. In my Adirondack travels, either by foot or canoe, I am rarely at night anywhere near any trail or designated campsite with flat ground. In the past I have spent way too much time searching for even a tiny reasonably flat open spot for a solo tent in remote places.

With a hammock I am free to set up wherever there are trees spaced 12-15 feet apart. I have never had a problem finding such trees in the Adirondacks within a minute or two (except, ironically, for the few times I find myself in a well used campsite where you must set up near the "camp here" disk). In my hammock I have often slept over rocks, thick brush, wet swamps, and steep slopes - none of which would be even marginally possible for a solo tent or tarp. However, in recent years I have paddled the Yukon River four times, where trees are small and sparse, so it is tenting on gravel bars as the only option.
I have a hammock, tents and tarps. I find the same thing. If I'm going to camping where the discs are, I'd rather have the tent. I've tore my hair out trying to get a good hang at some of those sites that were perfect for a tent.

Bushwhacking, not doubt the hammock is superior. Tarp gives the most freedom and airy nature. Tents are preferable for established campsites. And lean-tos are OK too if they aren't occupied, by people or rodents.

I still like sleeping 'under the stars' the most.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
As for original question. I prefer whatever...The only one I'm against is illegal hunting cabins
How about a legal hunting cabin:

...Or perhaps a Yurt:

Last edited by Justin; 10-02-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
How about a legal hunting cabin:

...Or perhaps a Yurt:

Those are fine. But I'd prefer a lean-to converted to a Cody Lundin Super Shelter.

DEC says it's illegal to enclose the front of a lean-to with plastic, so I won't say whether or not I've ever done it.

Last edited by montcalm; 10-02-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
kwc
loser

Quote:

Thank you for sharing Jenny's preferences for shelters .... how 'bout yours??

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
kwc
loser

on a more serious note, I would like to try hammock camping but as a "stomach sleeper" I am a bit reluctant to shell out the $$ for something that may not work very well for me.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote