No announcement yet.

DEC nab a few bad boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 deer in the Adirondacks, one moose in New Hampshire.
    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mgc View Post
      There are bozo's everywhere....
      True dat!

Uncle!

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
        OK, I’ll bite. If baiting and placing minerals is so morally, ethically, and biologically damaging to the deer, why is it legal in most states and Canadian Provence’s ?
        "Of the 50, 22 states have legalized the use of deer baits either in selected parts or in the entire state. On the other hand, the remaining 28 states do not allow deer baiting. 14 of the 22 states that allow deer baiting allow it state wide while the remaining 8 only allow the practice in specific parts."
        In this article, I will be exploring the legal stand of different states on deer baiting. As such, I will be answering some common questions such as What are the restrictions on Deer Baiting. Also, which are the states allow deer baiting partially but with some restriction? READ & LEARN DEER BAITING LAWS !!!!!

by Ryan Taylor The question of whether or not to bait whitetails has caused many discussions and arguments. There are hunters who bait constantly because it's legal in their area, there are hunters who bait their property when it's not legal, and there are hunters who just don't bait. As to...

Can't speak for what is considered fair chase in Canada, it's a foreign country. Suffice it to say, there is a lot of debate on this issue, but it is not considered fair chase, or legal, in New York State.

Comment

Can't speak for what is considered fair chase in Canada, it's a foreign country. Suffice it to say, there is a lot of debate on this issue, but it is not considered fair chase, or legal, in New York State.[/

So again the elites in NY, decide what is fair chase, ethical and moral ?

I’d bet many deer taken in the 22 states you mention that are taken over bait, are entered into the P&Y, and B&C Clubs.
          And we haven’t even started talking Black Bears.

Comment

I’d bet many deer taken in the 22 states you mention that are taken over bait, are entered into the P&Y, and B&C Clubs.
            And we haven’t even started talking Black Bears.
            I think we can all pretty much agree that shooting deer standing over a bait pile in your back yard, and doing so from your open living room window while sitting in a La-Z-Boy is probably not ethical. Comfortable and convenient, yes, but not ethical.

Comment

IIRC the beginning of the game laws came about mostly from hunters, trappers, and fisherman who were witnessing the destruction of the the fisheries, hunting, and trapping grounds. This destruction was motivated by the selling of fish/game to the restaurants in the cities facilitated by unregulated markets, and non-existent game laws.
              "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Seriously though, different states / agencies have different priorities. Deer herd management is one of the objectives, so other places can decide on how they want to get there...
                Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

Actually, I don’t think there would be any violation in shooting from inside your own house, although you might not be able to hear for a while. The violation was in shooting over bait. I knew a guy in Pennsylvania who got his deer three years in a row from the bathroom, which he would find a need to visit after a couple of hours on his stand, but there was no bait involved. He had some hearing problems, but he had his venison.

As to the "elites" making a determination, I would remind you that it was the "elites" that decided we needed the Forest Preserve, too. Maybe we should just go back to hounding, jacking at night, and get rid of the closed season altogether. And we could get rid of the Park, just go back to clear cut and leave it to be taken for failure to pay taxes, then let the legislators sell it back to their friends when the trees grow back again. They have some experience with this kind of thing in Albany lately!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post
                    Actually, I don’t think there would be any violation in shooting from inside your own house
                    I think it would depend upon how far from your neighbor's house(es) your bathroom is.

Comment

I’m not suggesting ,” going back,” to old practices, please control your emotions ? You should thank the timber barons for clear cutting parts of the ADK’s, otherwise the state would not have acquired nearly 3 million acres , and there would be no ADK park. There is around 3 million acres inside the park that is private land, and the viable forest management concept of clearcutting is still happening on some of this timberland as long as it’s under 25 acres.

All I’m asking is why is it considered “fair chase,” in 22 states and several Canadian Provence’s, but not in NY ? For everyone’s info, It is considered in NY, fair chase to bait coyotes, and other furbearer’s .

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
                        I think it would depend upon how far from your neighbor's house(es) your bathroom is.
                        500 feet to your neighbors house or closer if you have permission. AND you must be wearing your back tag unless you are in Northern Zone.
                        Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                        Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
                          Correct. If you are within 500 feet of an adjoining occupied home or farm property you may not shoot a firearm from the toilet or couch..unless you have received specific permission from your neighbors to do so. If you plan to use your crossbow, 250 feet is the number and if you can shoot your long or compound bow while sitting on the throne, 150 feet. If you plan to shoot from inside your home (or off the back porch) you also must have permission from any other occupants of your home...so if your spouse or GF are opposed to it they can call the DEC or State Police and have you arrested for discharging the firearm within the setback...not good.

Why do other states allow baiting??? That is a good question...why do some states vote red and some states vote blue? Why do some fisherman follow the stocking truck? Why do folks watch Ted Nugent shoot fenced in critters over bait? Why do folks get arrested for jacking deer?

Comment

Originally posted by mgc View Post
                            Correct. If you are within 500 feet of an adjoining occupied home or farm property you may not shoot a firearm from the toilet or couch..unless you have received specific permission from your neighbors to do so. If you plan to use your crossbow, 250 feet is the number and if you can shoot your long or compound bow while sitting on the throne, 150 feet. If you plan to shoot from inside your home (or off the back porch) you also must have permission from any other occupants of your home...so if your spouse or GF are opposed to it they can call the DEC or State Police and have you arrested for discharging the firearm within the setback...not good.

Why do other states allow baiting??? That is a good question...why do some states vote red and some states vote blue? Why do some fisherman follow the stocking truck? Why do folks watch Ted Nugent shoot fenced in critters over bait? Why do folks get arrested for jacking deer?
                            I’m pretty sure that if your significant other turns you in for shooting a deer out the back 40 than you need to find yourself another relationship
                            in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

I’m not suggesting ,” going back,” to old practices, please control your emotions ? .
                              There was nothing emotional about my response, you are the one who0 started talking about "elites".

All that house separation stuff is irrelevant if the closest buildings are 1000 feet away, additional considerations that have nothing to do with the legality of taking a deer from the back porch or from inside the building, the issue at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                                2 deer in the adirondacks, one moose in new hampshire.
                                cwd?
                                Last edited by geogymn; 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM. Reason: Capitalize
                                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                                X