Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
SamuraiHack

7x9 foot tent on a mountain?

Hey everyone. My girlfriend and I will be hiking in the Indian Lake area this August on various mountains (Pillsbury, Snowy, etc). We will most likely be spending the night on the mountains somewhere off the trail near the summit. The only tent we have available is 7x9 feet, and she is insisting we stay in a tent instead of hammock. As someone who is unfamiliar with the denseness of the Adirondack forest and mountains, do you think we will be able to find a 7x9 foot spot for our tent somewhere on the mountain. I am sure we would have to bushwhack a little and clear the forest floor.
Thanks!
SamuraiHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

not a chance. camp at an established campsite.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Wldrns

Agreed. Years ago I got frustrated too many times searching for a spot flat enough for a mini solo tent. That's why I have been a hammock camper for nigh on 20 years now. Hang anywhere, over any kind of ground or other surface, far more comfortable than on the hard uneven ground.

Especially if near the summit of any mountain, even lowland ones, please practice LNT.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-20-2019 at 08:53 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

There is a designated campsite near the top of Chimney Mountain. It has enough room for a tent that size, and it has been empty both times I wanted to stay there in previous years. It's a very nice mountain and if you're going to be in the area with enough time I would check it out. As I recall there may be a campsite partway up Snowy, at least according to the guidebook I have, but I don't recall how big it was or if I actually saw it when I was there last summer.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
dundee

Clearing the forest floor is not a good idea. Follow Leave No Trace ethics.

See # 2, camp on durable surfaces.

https://lnt.org/why/7-principles/

Get a guidebook, either Adirondack Mt. Club or Discover the Adirondacks series and a Nation Geographic map that the area. You can find designated campsites with these.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

7’x9’ tent sounds pretty big & heavy for an overnight backpacking trip up a mountain for only 2 people. Maybe try a couple tarps instead, one for ground cover and one as a rain fly, but of course that doesn’t really help with the mosquitoes. What ever you do please be considerate and carry out what you carried in. Too many times I’ve seen oversized tents like this abandoned because people didn’t want to carry them back out.

Last edited by Justin; 07-20-2019 at 06:57 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Are you planning to lug everything up the mountains to camp at higher elevation? Depending on where you land, you would need to lug your water water too.
You'll likely not find much clear space for your tent.
If you're gonna climb Chimney Mt, as Zach mentioned, there is that one site...but no water nearby.

Most folks camp at lower elevation, preferably near water, and climb or hike from there.

Here's a couple links to DEC maps of nearby.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_...riversouth.pdf
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_...rivernorth.pdf
Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Terasec

Instead of camping at the summit
Recommend setting up camp somewhere below the summit within short hike to the top, 7x9 sounds like a 4 person tent not that much larger than most 2 person tents which are common
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote