Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
engineerintheoutdoors

Youngest single season winter 46er?

Anyone know the youngest age someone has done all winter 46 in a single season? I am 18 and aiming to do it this season (and am well on my way) and was wondering.
engineerintheoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Trail Boss

Single Season Winter 46er (SSW46er) is not recognized by the ADK 46ers organization. There are no official records of SSW46ers so determining who was the youngest finisher depends on who has the best and longest memory (certainly not me).

If you don't like bitter cold, this is shaping up to be a pretty good winter to tackle a SSW46. Unless you have weekdays available, you'll need to hike multiple peaks every weekend to finish by March 21st (inclusive).

There's no award or official recognition for completing the challenge except a feeling of accomplishment (and bragging rights). Having a time-limit provides a sense of urgency and coming in at 45/46 peaks by March 21st doesn't even get you bragging rights.

The sister forum, www.ADKHighPeaks.com, has many members who've completed SSW46 and some have done it several times (consecutive winters). I encourage you to become a member so you can ask for information and share your experiences.

To give you an idea of the commitment involved, here's the itinerary for my SSW46:

2013-12-28 Donaldson, Emmons, Seward; Pathgrinder, Sam
2014-01-25 Marshall, Cliff; Pathgrinder, Sam
2014-01-26 Cascade, Porter; Solo
2014-01-31 Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Colden, Tabletop, Phelps; Neil, Topofgothics
2014-02-08 Couchsachraga, Panther, Santanoni; Doru
2014-02-13 Basin, Saddleback; Neil
2014-02-16 Allen; Pathgrinder, Doru
2014-02-22 Redfield, Gray, Skylight, Marcy; Pathgrinder
2014-02-23 Dix, Hough, Macomb, South Dix, East Dix; Neil, JoeCedar, VeggieLasagna
2014-02-28 Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge; Solo
2014-03-01 Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolfjaw, Lower Wolfjaw; Solo
2014-03-02 Street, Nye; Solo
2014-03-07 Dial, Nippletop, Colvin, Blake; Solo
2014-03-08 Seymour; Solo
2014-03-09 Haystack, Big Slide; Pathgrinder, Sam
2014-03-18 Esther, Whiteface; Solo

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerintheoutdoors View Post
Anyone know the youngest age someone has done all winter 46 in a single season? I am 18 and aiming to do it this season (and am well on my way) and was wondering.
Not sure if he's the youngest, but Johnathan Esper did 3 rounds (plus 12 more peaks to round the season out at 150 peaks) in a single winter. I believe it was the winter of '99, and I believe he was under 18yo.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
engineerintheoutdoors

Thanks for the info guys!
engineerintheoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote