Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Pauly D.

Explosion in the sky

Apparently there was a large explosion in the sky last night accompanied by a flash of green light in northern Saratoga County. Did anyone hear it? I didn't and neither did any of my friends who live up that way.

Sounds like it might have been a meteor. Just wondering if anyone's seen anything like this while camping in the park. The closest thing I've seen is a large fireball over the Gulf of Mexico when I used to dive. It was quite a sight but there wasn't any sound.

Pretty neat.

https://www.news10.com/news/mysterio...es-and-nerves/
Old 12-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I have seen a few fireball meteors. None with sound tho. Apparently that happens on occassion. One I witnessed broke into two pieces, resulting in a primary and a trailing piece. Was very cool.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

I heard/saw one when I lived in North Dakota. It was the middle of the day and for some reason I was staring up at the bright blue prairie sky. Suddenly, a streak of blue/yellow light flashed right to left across the sky. I heard a sharp crack and a fizzle as the light dissipated right over my head. Pretty cool.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
richard1726

From my calculations they start glowing brightly at 70 miles up.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:44 PM   #5
Wldrns

Technically called a "bolide", I've seen a couple. My first was back in the 1960s.
i still remember it clearly. As a young budding amateur astronomer, I wrote up the details and was proud to have it with my name printed in an edition of "Sky and Telescope" magazine.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Explosions in the sky, rejoice cause no one died. Another way to get to know the tiny streets you live on. https://youtu.be/cN1JvsLQG8A
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
Buckladd

Guessing it’s related to the meteor shower soon to peak.

I’ll never forget Nov. 18, 2001! My wife and I got up at 4am, made a pot of coffee, grabbed our dog (we had one then) and wrapped up in sleeping bags in our yard until sunrise. That was quite a show! Then I went hunting!