Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #21
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

You have to be careful with camping on easement land- every easement is different. Some easements allow camping in accordance with the general state land use regulations (150 foot rule), some allow caming at designated sites only, and some prohibit camping entirely.

With that being said, Gull Lake is surrounded by state land (assuming we're talking about the one off of Bear Creek Road). I camped there a few years ago- there is a lean-to, but I don't recall seeing any designated tent sites, so if the lean-to is occupied and there's not space for you (or you desire to not share), you'll have to tent camp in conformance with the 150 foot rule.

I would also check in advance on how far Bear Creek Road is maintained for winter motor vehicle access, and plan accordingly.

The other thing to be aware of is that all of the trails in that area are snowmobile trails in winter, which is great if that's how you're planning to go in. But if you were thinking about going in on snowshoes/skis, you'll need to be prepared to share those trails with snow machines.

Regarding ice fishing- for some reason, the DEC website is missing a county by county break down on which lakes allow ice fishing in Region 6, so it's a bit more confusing to try and figure out if you can ice fish Gull Lake. If it is managed for trout, you most likely cannot ice fish it. There's no mention of Gull Lake in the fresh water fishing guide, so that doesn't really help any. I would contact the Region 6 headquarters and ask them directly for the clearest, best possible answer regarding whether you can ice fish there or not.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:14 PM   #22
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Some photos from my trip to Gull Lake: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NN848vaZr4fESKhT7

That was an introductory backpacking trip that I lead for the Syracuse University Outing Club.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #23
Wldrns

Here's my favorite photo of Gull. The leanto is at the end around the point on the far left. Nearby Chub Pond also has a leanto and is nice to visit. Bear Lake to the north also with leanto. Where ever you go don't be afraid to call the DEC or the local ranger with any questions.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #24
Bagadeez04

Not the Gull Lake with the lean to. There's another one nearby on an easement?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #25
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

OK, I see it now- on the west side of 28N, between McKeever and Thendara.

Yeah, that's definitely easement lands so you'll need to do your research on the regulations concerning camping. A quick google search yields information that appears to indicate that camping is permitted in designated sites, with a maximum overnight group size limit of 8 persons, and no more than 3 tents. I would call the DEC directly to verify this, though- just to be sure.

The same info I posted above about ice fishing also applies- check with the DEC directly.

EDIT: While perusing the DEC website, I also found information that was indicated as being applicable to one Gull Lake that clearly applied to the other. Even the DEC can't keep the two lakes straight.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #26
Wldrns

Yeah, I've been to the other one too. As I recall, I was not impressed with the hike in on the broad logging road, not what I would call a trail, and I don't think I was all that impressed with the lake environment either. I certainly don't have any photos nearly as pretty as at the one in the BRWF.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
Lucky13

If it is legal to ice fish in a trout waterbody, it will be specifically listed in the County by County section of the general regulations. If it is not specifically named, ice fishing is not allowed, if it is classified trout water.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/

2nd from the left is regs by county, select Herkimer for the area being discussed.
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/...rkimer-county/

The only ice fishing trout waters in Herkimer County are the Fulton Chain, Limekiln Lake, Stillwater Reservoir, Beardsley Lake, Kyser Lake, Hinckley Reservoir, Prospect Reservoir, and North Lake. Forestport Reservoir, Kayuta Lake, and Moshier Reservoir are open for ice fishing, but any trout caught would have to be released, as they are governed by the Statewide regulation under which the season closes on October 15.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #28
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
If it is legal to ice fish in a trout waterbody, it will be specifically listed in the County by County section of the general regulations. If it is not specifically named, ice fishing is not allowed, if it is classified trout water.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing/

2nd from the left is regs by county, select Herkimer for the area being discussed.
http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/...rkimer-county/

The only ice fishing trout waters in Herkimer County are the Fulton Chain, Limekiln Lake, Stillwater Reservoir, Beardsley Lake, Kyser Lake, Hinckley Reservoir, Prospect Reservoir, and North Lake. Forestport Reservoir, Kayuta Lake, and Moshier Reservoir are open for ice fishing, but any trout caught would have to be released, as they are governed by the Statewide regulation under which the season closes on October 15.
This is how I understand it also. The logical follow up question: Is there any way to determine if a body of water is classified as a trout water other than calling the DEC directly?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #29
Bagadeez04

So we normally do Dead Creek Flow in winter, on Jannucks Lean to or camp site. It's a nice easy pull in with a sled, decent fishing opportunities and relatively quiet/remote.

Any other spots that you all would consider comparable... or even better!?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #30
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagadeez04 View Post
So we normally do Dead Creek Flow in winter, on Jannucks Lean to or camp site. It's a nice easy pull in with a sled, decent fishing opportunities and relatively quiet/remote.

Any other spots that you all would consider comparable... or even better!?
Some friends & I have tried a few different locations over the years, but definitely don’t want to share them publicly. Feel free to send a pm if you wish, and thanks for the Janacks idea.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #31
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
This is how I understand it also. The logical follow up question: Is there any way to determine if a body of water is classified as a trout water other than calling the DEC directly?
I've often wondered that myself, as I have never seen a full list of water body classifications, and I don't think they necessarily conform to the waters where trout are stocked just what is suitable for trout or trout spawning. I have always worked off the baitfish prohibited lists, as baitfish are prohibited for ost trout waters in the Park, but there are some trout waters, such as Beaver Lake in the MRP, where baitfish are allowed, but ice fishing is not. For many of the wilderness areas, the whole area is off limits for baitfish, and in those cases, I consider all the waters to be trout waters and therefore closed to ice fishing. I think it would not be too far off correct to say that if you have to hike in to get there, it is likely closed to ice fishing, not that that deters a lot of "sportsmen." DEC has started placing rock barriers to prevent snowmobile access down the foot trails to many of the ponds in the MRP, because they were getting hammered in the winter, although I am sure the sleds also damaged the trails when the snow was shallow, especially the ADA compliant trails. I think an excellent use of drones would be to check some of these more remote locations that have a history of abuse.

I am getting older, and my idea of a great weekend camping excursion with ice fishing would be the lean-tos on Seventh Lake. Yes, route 28 is right there, but traffic is sparse in the winter, if you get cold or wet you are not far from Inlet. You do want to pick up the tip ups before retiring for the night, DEC ticketed some guys for sleeping with their rigs in the water last year!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote