looking for advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advice!

I'm not new to the high peaks, but I am new to doing them in the winter. I have snowshoes and crampons already but im not sure which mountains are the best to do in the winter. I was thinking of doing Table Top but not sure.

What are the best mountains to do in the winter?

Also is there a place to get good maps for these trails?... so far I've been looking online and just reading forums on how to get to theses trail heads(some are helpful and some not so much).

TT, Phelps or Big Slide are often suggested for first time peaks. You can get the two most popular maps on line or at the ADK shops in Lake George or in Lake George. The ADK High Peaks map is nice because it has the herd paths for the unmarked trails outlined on them. The Nat Geo Lake Placid and High Peaks map is good as well. I usually carry those two.

Comment

As a new winter hiker, you could also start with moderate sized mountains - the first winter hike does not have to be a high peak. Consider Hurricane or Hopkins as possibilities to shake out the kinks in the winter hiking experience.

Yes, get the ADK High Peaks map, and also the ADK High Peaks guidebook. Also consider ADKs book "Winterwise - a winter backpacking guide." It's geared towards camping, but has lots of good info for day hiking as well.

Comment

You can/should sign up for a group hike with ADK or other organization. It's useful and fun to see what other folks use for gear, techniques, etc. A group is also helpful in breaking trail after a recent dumping of snow.

Comment

Working...
        X