Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

@#$!@#%!#$ insoles!

So Cabela's finally stopped carrying Meindl boots, and the Perfekt Hiker I've been buying for the last 15 years is no more. So now I'm on a quest to find a new brand I can live with. I currently have a new pair of Asolos that I am trying to break in, but the insoles that come with them are weak, to say the least. I tried using the Meindl insoles (cork, foam, cloth) but they are too thick and take up too much room. I bought some on Amazon that had good reviews, but the arch is too high, so unless I get used to them, they're out. I pulled a pair of well-used blue superfeet from the closet, and those are the best so far.

Does any one have any favorites? I have relatively flat feet so I don't want a huge arch, but there are thousands of these things on Amazon so I'm hoping to narrow my search down a bit. Thanks!

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 09-11-2019 at 09:33 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
webby459

Since you are moving to different boots AND need different insoles you may end up needing to have an in-person conversation with someone that does that, has some choices and can fit them. We got insoles for my son at Fleet Feet (one in Malta), the people there are pros at this and the fitment was excellent. They were *not cheap*, but doing this once then buying elsewhere next time if the money is an issue might be a compromise.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
Since you are moving to different boots AND need different insoles you may end up needing to have an in-person conversation with someone that does that, has some choices and can fit them. We got insoles for my son at Fleet Feet (one in Malta), the people there are pros at this and the fitment was excellent. They were *not cheap*, but doing this once then buying elsewhere next time if the money is an issue might be a compromise.
Probably not a bad idea...I tried the new mountaineering store in Saratoga, but other than telling me I had a borderline wide foot, they didn't offer much constructive advice. (the 9.5 wide and the 10 have the same exact width, so I went with the 10 for slightly more toe room)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
webby459

Fleet Feet really does have foot and running pros there, granted most are dialed into running, but I still found them helpful for myself. I went with the idea of getting a pair of trail runners to hike and backpack in after having no end of problems with finding and then wearing normal waterproof light hiking boots. They didn't have the right trail runners, so didn't even try to put me in just something lying around. But when I mentioned also wanting city street walking shoes the guy didn't hesitate and brought me out one pair of shoes, a pair of Altra kind of casual running shoes that fit 100% perfect out of the box.

I've had to try on literally 10+ pairs of shoes in places like LL Bean and still not finding a fit, so having the guy bring out one pair and having it just fit was a bit of a revelation. Normal wide (even known wide EE and EEE) shoes don't work for me because I have strangely wide forefoot and toe area, but stock Altra (they don't even do wide width) just plain fit, impressive that Fleet Feet just nailed it for me.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
TCD

I'm in trail runners for summer; moved out of boots about 20 years ago.

But a quick Google search found this:

https://meindlusa.com/collections/me...it%C2%AE-hiker

so you might be able to get these even though Cabelas no longer has them...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I'm in trail runners for summer; moved out of boots about 20 years ago.

But a quick Google search found this:

https://meindlusa.com/collections/me...it%C2%AE-hiker

so you might be able to get these even though Cabelas no longer has them...
Interesting! Those are very close in design. I may have to give them a try. Thanks for that. I assumed they were custom made by Meindl for Cabelas since they had that "Cabelas by Meindl" branding. But other than the rubber rand around the front, the rest looks almost the same. The soles are vibram, which may be another benefit. The comments on that link express my thoughts exactly...
Old 09-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
MaximusFunk24

After a lot of research I decided to buy a pair of Oboz (Bridger model) boots because of the quality of the insoles that come with them and the overall comfortable design. I wasnt disappointed, they are the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned (though the wet traction was a bit wanting). But since you've already purchased a new pair of boots, I have heard lots of people talk about how Superfeet makes excellent hiking insoles.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
After a lot of research I decided to buy a pair of Oboz (Bridger model) boots because of the quality of the insoles that come with them and the overall comfortable design. I wasnt disappointed, they are the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned (though the wet traction was a bit wanting). But since you've already purchased a new pair of boots, I have heard lots of people talk about how Superfeet makes excellent hiking insoles.
Thanks, I'll check them out. The good thing about buying your hiking boots at REI is that they'll take them back (up to a year.)