Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
...My guess would be trespassers, since I seem to remember reading somewhere that the members of the Cooley Club claimed to have been good stewards of the land in the area...
You mean the trashed campsite? That could have been trespassers... they could have walked in for all we know.

I'm pretty sure the planes come in because if you had wheelers and jeeps out there tearing it up every spring it would be a mess.

At any rate I can't imagine a club where people would pay to use the land would have trashy campsites.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
You mean the trashed campsite? That could have been trespassers... they could have walked in for all we know.

I'm pretty sure the planes come in because if you had wheelers and jeeps out there tearing it up every spring it would be a mess.

At any rate I can't imagine a club where people would pay to use the land would have trashy campsites.
It doesn't seem likely trespassers, knowing how old the STUFF left behind is might better answer your question. It could be the former leasers of the lands left it that way because they were no longer going to have exclusive use of the land.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Justin
Moving along

Pressure treated 2x4's & plywood and plastic lawn chairs definitely seems unlikely for carry on luggage...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
cnyjim

Thanks Justin, I am currently couchbound with a knee injury, your exploring and pics were good for the soul.
cnyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyjim View Post
Thanks Justin, I am currently couchbound with a knee injury, your exploring and pics were good for the soul.
My pleasure, Jim.
Get well soon man.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
JW

Let's all make sure we make at least one stop in North Creek or Indian Lake while there, and support the local economy. I remember that being part of the rationale of the state buying this land vs. the revenue they will lose minus the hunting camps.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Let's all make sure we make at least one stop in North Creek or Indian Lake while there, and support the local economy. I remember that being part of the rationale of the state buying this land vs. the revenue they will lose minus the hunting camps.
Agreed!
Thanks JW.
Weavertown Country Store near the junction of 8 & 28 has great sandwiches, and is one of the best small town country stores you will visit in the Adirondacks!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #28
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Write a letter, help stop it!
Done--and I spoke at last night's APA hearing in NYC
Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
Done--and I spoke at last night's APA hearing in NYC

I'd be interested in anything of note at the NYC meeting that you'd care to post in the discussion of the F.P. Land thread.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
I'd be interested in anything of note at the NYC meeting that you'd care to post in the discussion of the F.P. Land thread.
I regret to say that I was really pressed for time and couldn't arrange to stay after I made my brief pitch to keep the waterways motorless. There were 20 speakers and I was the first one to arrive. The presentations by APA were comprehensive and consisted of information already widely known by those who have been following the process on line. The staff present made a real effort to make themselves available for conversation in advance, and the formal components of their talks took slightly over an hour.
For me, this involved a two hour train ride down and a two hour return. I regret that I hadn't planned to spend more time, but being able to speak and to file a text of my remarks were, I hope, worth the effort.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #31
nuccx2001

Quote:
Pressure treated 2x4's & plywood and plastic lawn chairs definitely seems unlikely for carry on luggage...
I Have been Flying into Pine lake, and a few others from long lake (Helms) to camp since some time in the mid 90's, on and off. Pretty Steady for the last 7 years...

That Camp that you come across was always "off limits" to Camp at because it belonged to the Gooley Club.

It used to be a really nice Site, and Well maintained. Probably up until the last 3 years or so. We started to see a decline in it's upkeep. 2 years ago, The Dock started to fall into the water... and the site always seemed to look as how you found it.

For the longest time, maybe 5 years ago, I didn't even know there was a logging trail that Trucks could get there that accessed that lake, Then one late night, From across the Lake, We saw headlights

Next morning, a couple of fisherman, in a John boat with an electric Troller, were fishing the lake.... We called them over and chatted about Gooley Club, and how they access that camp. They told us of the decline of the Club even back then.

But Please don't think that anything you see on that site was caused by the likes of Float Plane campers....

Here is a Photo from the other end of that lake...

Last edited by nuccx2001; 08-22-2013 at 07:30 AM..
nuccx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #32
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Good morning nuccx,

Welcome to the forum!!
When you were hanging around Pine Lake, did you camp there? Not at the trashed site, but other spots, maybe?
And did you have a canoe with you? I be interested to hear of the paddling experiences, especially around the Rock - Cedar confluence...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #33
geogymn

Amazing what insights this forum brings to light. Thx!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
St.Regis

Quote:
Judging from the trashed campsite and dock in the photos, I'd venture to guess that Pine gets a fair amount of use from float plane campers...
Are you inferring that float plane campers typically trash camping sites? I've never been on a lake that has float plane campers, so I really don't know, but it seems like they'd be in the perfect position NOT to leave trash. Of course there will always be a percentage of slob campers, but I really don't see why float plane campers would be more "slobish" than any other camper.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #35
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I think we all made some judgements that we shouldn't have... let's leave it at that.

Seems anyone with a vehicle, be it a plane or a truck has just as easy a time carrying out trash as any.

I think we know now it was lack of caring/funding by the Gooley Club in their demise that caused the mess... it wouldn't be hard to clean up, but knowing how fast the DEC moves on stuff like that I'd expect my grandkids to see it!
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #36
nuccx2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Good morning nuccx,

Welcome to the forum!!
When you were hanging around Pine Lake, did you camp there? Not at the trashed site, but other spots, maybe?
And did you have a canoe with you? I be interested to hear of the paddling experiences, especially around the Rock - Cedar confluence...
Every year....

We camp at the far end from where the Gooley Camp was... there is another dock there, that the plane pulls up to.....

There are canoes, but no paddles, We Fly those in.....

We have tried to walk to the end where the Gooley camp was... but the terrain is unforgiving... (not saying it can't be done, but the Canoe was the easy route)

The water level where the rock is, is very shallow >10'
nuccx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #37
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccx2001 View Post
Every year....

We camp at the far end from where the Gooley Camp was... there is another dock there, that the plane pulls up to.....

There are canoes, but no paddles, We Fly those in.....

We have tried to walk to the end where the Gooley camp was... but the terrain is unforgiving... (not saying it can't be done, but the Canoe was the easy route)

The water level where the rock is, is very shallow >10'
Thanks, nucxx...
I have been contemplating a Cedar River - Rock River loop for some time now. With the Finch lands acquisition, it looks like a Cedar - Hudson loop would be more palatable. I've made a few miscalculations before, and don't want to drag my usual gang through yet another impossible (or at least, objectionable) route...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #38
Frostbite Ale Man

Thanks for all the info; I would be interested in how far a carry it would be back to Pine Lake. From your map, it looks like about twice the distance from the parking lot to Clear Lake, to get to Pine Lake. I'd be carrying a canoe, but 4 miles is about my previous limit. Thanks
Frostbite Ale Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #39
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Agreed!
Thanks JW.
Weavertown Country Store near the junction of 8 & 28 has great sandwiches, and is one of the best small town country stores you will visit in the Adirondacks!
I stopped in there last fall and the lady working the counter acted like we were bothering her by ordering food. Maybe she just had a bad day...
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #40
bmike-vt

Just replying so I have this for future reference.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote