Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Auger Falls, SPWA, 4 Sep, 2019

After spending the night at the Hamilton County Mosquito Preserve, my youngest daughter, Tredhed and I had a great opportunity this afternoon to take a short hike to Auger Falls in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area. A pretty sporty cold front pushed through in the morning keeping us in the cabin doing puzzles, playing cards and drinking coffee. After lunch, the sun came out and it was time to hit the trailhead, just north of Wells.

We were surprised to see some construction activity on the shoulder of Rt. 30 adjacent to the parking area. I wonder what's going on here?

We parked in the usual spot and headed down the trail, noticing that the large sign identifying the trailhead was missing.

We signed into the woods at the soggy register. The box must be leaking?

Just past the register, we met two gentlemen who were headed out of the woods. They warned us about the slippery rocks and muddy trail. Sage advice considering the SAR that happened there a few weeks ago.

Soon, we crossed several wet spots and approached the well known "peekaboo" tree.

Just past the last set of boulders, the roar of the highway was replaced by the roar of the waterfalls.

Heeding the advice from our friends on the trail, we stayed back from the very slippery ledges. The views were pretty spectacular as sunshine rarely penetrates the gorge. It was a treat to see the falls bathed in full sunlight.

After soaking up the sight and sounds, we moved upstream a hundred yards to the head of the falls. I'm always impressed that all the water in this section of the Sacandaga River squeezes through a three foot gap between these two rocks. Nature!

After yucking around a little, it was time to head back home to get my daughter ready for school tomorrow. Not a bad way to spend the last day of your summer vacation.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Nice photos TM.
Maybe they are adding some additional parking & an outhouse near the trailhead, hence the new construction work & missing sign?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Thanks Justin!

We thought of a new parking lot, but who knows? An outhouse would be a good idea here, it's crazy busy most of the time. Today, not so much.

I'm just happy to be out hiking again