Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Kai was here

Woodhull Fire Tower in Winter

Hey All,

In reading about the Woodhull Fire Tower I learned that it can be a bike and hike in the summer. I was curious what it would be like as a cross country ski and hike in winter? Has anybody tried this?

Thanks

Blair
Kai was here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Alpine1

Depending on conditions you have two route options. Either way I'd ski the entire way. Staying on the old RR bed all the way to the Remsen Falls cut off the grade is nearly flat. If snow conditions aren't very deep that would be my choice thus avoiding the snowmobile corrider that runs parallel but has many ups and downs until it meets the upper cross over trail leading to Remsen Falls.
The snowmobile trail will be groomed and easier going in deep snow conditions but not nearly as safe as the lower road.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Herkimite

February of 2002 I skied to Woodhull and carried snowshoes. Made it all the way up with skis but switched to snowshoes for a while on the way down as there was a fair amount of blowdown at that time and I had a little trouble maneuvering with skis. We had to break trail most of the way so it was a long day but certainly doable if conditions are decent.
Herkimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
bridgeman

Ditto what Herkimite said.
Mid winter I had to park on the road before the railroad crossing. Stayed on the old grade past the first gate (snowmobile trial goes right) and broke trail the entire distance. A single coyote track along the old grade was the only sign of wildlife along the way.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote