Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Deerless

Brooktrout lake

Hello all ! Looking for any up to date info on the roads into trailhead off Indian River road.... I'll be in a pickup, curious if there's a parking lot, and if it's considered relatively safe to leave your vehicle there for a few days.

Thank you !
Deerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Deerless

I also meant to ask if there are any known legal camp sites on the lake..? I may just continue on to the West Lakes area if not.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
dundee

You can drive to the TH for Brooktrout. There is also a lean-to there, not sure about tent sites. It's been safe for my car when I've been there.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Pauly D.

Here's a video showing what you're in for. The gentlemen enters from the North but he does drive the entire chain of roads to the Cedar River Flow. Skip to 9:15 to see the parking area for Brooktrout Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9nTWBBsPg

Last edited by Pauly D.; 09-18-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Deerless

Wow! A guided tour... Thanks Pauly!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Lucky13

Plan on a fair amount of time on the road. At 15 mph it is about an hour from the Limekiln Gate (longer from the East) to the Moose River crossing on the Otter Brook Road, and the last time I was in it was about an hour from there to the Squaw Lake end of Indian Lake Road parking lot, which is about 15 minutes further in than the WCW parking area. If the work outlined in the UMP was done this year, improving a closed road so people can hike and bike to Indian Lake, maybe they improved the road from the Moose to Otter Brook, or the always challenging Indian Lake Road, then it could be a little shorter, but it will be a lot longer than you will think if you figure based on what the ~22 road miles might imply. If it has been raining and you don't have 4 wheel or a winch, I would suggest having a good rope and come along in case you hit an unstable washout area and get stuck in the sand. As stated before there is a lean-to at Brooktrout Lake, my recollection from the McMartin description of the trial is that there is also a designated campsite along the trail going down to the lean-to. You are likely not going to have a problem with your vehicle because so few people get back that far. According to W. Jay O'Hern, this is a tough route in even though it is the shortest route, he said that much of the trail is very wet, especially the area around Wolf Creek, and you are climbing a significant height of land before you descend to the lake. He advised me that leaving from the east side of WCW, even though ~twice as far, was much more enjoyable, and you see a lot more of the heart of the West Canada's. If you try it, please report back for those of us who are still keeping it on the bucket list.

Last edited by Lucky13; 09-19-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Here's a video showing what you're in for. The gentlemen enters from the North but he does drive the entire chain of roads to the Cedar River Flow. Skip to 9:15 to see the parking area for Brooktrout Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9nTWBBsPg
This was a good video, but the gentleman should be aware that the sign-in board is for everyone's use, and there is a seperate one for canoers who plan to do the run through the League Club. Aside from letting someone know where he is and what he has planned (remember, PLAN YOUR HIKE/TRIP), and when he intends to be out, in case he does breakdown back there, the use of the sign in boards allows DEC to get an accurate sense of the level of use in the area, which then assists with the process of fund allocations for things like outhouse reconstruction/relocation or road improvement. Everyone entering the Plains is required to stop and sign in at the Register, daytrip, driving through, or staying (with a permit) for two weeks.

I don't know if it is still the case, but prior to the new UMP, 4 wheel drive or chains were required to enter the Plains from October 1st until the roads closed at the end of Northern Zone Deer Season. Even if it is no longer a requirement, having awakened to 6" of snow on the last day of the old trout season, September 30, I can attest to the logic of the rules, we had a very hard time with the slopes going out to Limekiln, and may have been stuck for an extra day or so if the snow had not melted in the later morning.

Last edited by Lucky13; 09-19-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Lucky13

Did a little research, my memory seems to be working pretty well for an OF!
(I think it is likely that all the NYCRR were reauthorized, but the web site has not been updated since June.)

6 CRR-NY 196.3
NY-CRR

OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK

TITLE 6. DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

CHAPTER II. LANDS AND FORESTS

PART 196. OPERATION OF MOTORIZED VEHICLES, VESSELS, AIRCRAFT AND MOTORIZED EQUIPMENT IN THE FOREST PRESERVE

6 CRR-NY 196.3
6 CRR-NY 196.3
196.3 Operation of motor vehicles on the Limekiln Lake-Cedar River Road.

The operation of motor vehicles on that road running easterly from the Limekiln Lake registration station through State lands known as the Moose River Recreation Area, and lands of the International Paper Company to the Cedar River headquarters registration station, will be subject to the following regulations:

(a) No person may operate a motor vehicle on said road without first registering the operator's name, address, number of passengers, vehicle license number, vehicle description, anticipated length of stay and destination at the Limekiln Lake registration station or at the Cedar River headquarters registration station. Upon exiting said road, all operators of motor vehicles must register their names and number of passengers at a registration station.

(b) All motor vehicles, other than those equipped with four-wheel drive, must be equipped with tire chains from October 1st until the road is closed for winter.

(c) No person may operate a motorcycle or motorized bicycle on said road.

(d) No person may operate a snowmobile on said road during the northern zone big game hunting season unless the road is closed to motor vehicle use and posted as open for snowmobile use.

6 CRR-NY 196.3

Current through June 15, 2018

Sorry if this "strayed from the marked trail" a little bit, but knowledge of the rules of the area is germane to reaching BTL from the North.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Will Canoe
All Season Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerless View Post
Hello all ! Looking for any up to date info on the roads into trailhead off Indian River road.... I'll be in a pickup, curious if there's a parking lot, and if it's considered relatively safe to leave your vehicle there for a few days.

Thank you !
The trail head there is nice and plenty big. Hike in is lovely and long. Several good places to camp around the lean-to. Plenty of excursions around too. Enjoy!
Will Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #10
Deerless

Thank you all !! I'm looking forward to a good hike and some quiet time away.