Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
skillzman1

Tent camping Wilmington NY recommendations

Hello All,
Looking at planning a mountain bike trip for the Wilmington area and would like to do a weekend camping trip. I have a tent that sets up in the back of my truck that works great. I'm looking for something with a decent selection of somewhat private sites.
Last year I booked online at a few different camp grounds and ended up stacked on top of other sites( listening to the neighbor snore all night) or stuck out in a field with no shade.
So I'm looking for some first hand experience on what camp grounds and maybe even a section of sites that would fit? Prefer to have a shower available, electricity not necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tundra camping.jpg (112.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
TCD

Where were you last year that didn't work?

Obvious choices are the KOA, and the Wilmington Notch State campground...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Lucky13

Those are likely the only choices with a shower that are close by. We stayed at the North Pole about 30 years ago, and it was like being in a filing cabinet. Private landowners need to maximize revenue in a short season, and the land costs and the taxes are steep, so for your site fee, the site is small. That appears on the air photos to be the only remaining campground other than the KOA and the State campground. Taylor Pond is near, but no showers, and the sites are close together.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Where were you last year that didn't work?

Obvious choices are the KOA, and the Wilmington Notch State campground...
I didn't stay in the Wilmington area last year with the tent. I was referencing other areas I stayed that had poor setups. One of which was the picture above, you can see how close the camper next door was. I was just looking for any input before I reserved a site off a camping reservation site like last year.
I visited Elizabethtown today and met a local rider who suggested Ausable Chasm campground as there is a healthy trail system attached. May give that a try.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Those are likely the only choices with a shower that are close by. We stayed at the North Pole about 30 years ago, and it was like being in a filing cabinet. Private landowners need to maximize revenue in a short season, and the land costs and the taxes are steep, so for your site fee, the site is small. That appears on the air photos to be the only remaining campground other than the KOA and the State campground. Taylor Pond is near, but no showers, and the sites are close together.
Thanks! Those were some options I was looking at.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
Fly Rodder

Wilmington Notch is like sleeping at a highway rest area. I stayed there once about 10 years ago and have never been back. It's doable for a night if needed.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Lucky13

There are no campgrounds in that area that are not close to the highway. And at the KOA, you also have all the white noise from the Flume falls, although some people like that.

So where DO you camp close by, flyrodder?

If Ausable Chasm is close enough, Skilzman might find something else in that radius.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
skillzman1

As a kid we use to stay at Donaldson's or Fish Creek campsites. I suppose that's somewhat local to the surrounding bike trails.
It's at least closer than Saratoga.
I saw some of the above mentioned sites in Wilmington last year during the MTB festival, was just wondering what personal experiences were.
I like to ride new trails as a MTB bucket list type of thing. I think Ausable Chasm is likely next on the list. Will have to see how the camping goes. Trails are suppose to be great!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Chris I

We've stayed plenty of times at Drapers Acres, (before it was Drapers Acres). You're far enough off 73, great location to get to both Wilmington & Placid, always friendly. It looks like it's only gotten better with new ownership.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
There are no campgrounds in that area that are not close to the highway. And at the KOA, you also have all the white noise from the Flume falls, although some people like that.

So where DO you camp close by, flyrodder?

If Ausable Chasm is close enough, Skilzman might find something else in that radius.
Lake Placid Lodge.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Klinkhamer

Campgrounds near Wilmington

https://newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com/

There a few NYS more campgrounds if willing to drive a bit (e.g.: Meacham Lake, Buck Pond)

I grew up going to Wilmington Notch multiple times a year fishing with my Dad, brothers and my Uncle. Used to hear sirens then explosions off Whiteface Mtn in the years leading up to 1980 Olympics when they were blasting out new ski runs. Traffic was not an issue really. Was a very quiet campground that catered to fishermen on the Ausable primarily as facilities were pretty limited too. Once showers were installed it turned into a popular family and party destination and now I rarely go there. Used to be able to go almost anytime during the season and get a site without a reservation, now they are full-up pretty consistently.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris I View Post
We've stayed plenty of times at Drapers Acres, (before it was Drapers Acres). You're far enough off 73, great location to get to both Wilmington & Placid, always friendly. It looks like it's only gotten better with new ownership.
That looks like a really ideal location for centralized riding in all the surrounding systems. Will put that on the list!
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #13
dmartenvt

Taylor Pond is nearby and has some decent sites.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24498.html
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #14
Keithk
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
I visited Elizabethtown today and met a local rider who suggested Ausable Chasm campground as there is a healthy trail system attached. May give that a try.
Iíve camped at the Chasm before, and while nice, itís not noticeably different/better than the Wilmington Notch or KOA. Likewise, the Chasm trails are very nice (they have a fun, friendly race there every Sunday), but the trails are significantly easier than what youíll find in Wilmington & LP.

If youíre willing to take a jump in the river/lake instead of a shower, there are some free drive up campsites in the greater SL area.

ďDonít miss ridesĒ in the SL
-Wilmington corridor:

Wilmington
-
Hardy Road (with Quaker Mtn)
The Flume
Poor Manís Downhill on Sundays when the shuttle is running

LP-
Loggers Loops
Craig Wood (with Scotts Cobble)

SL
-
Pisgah
Dewey

Check out the BETA (Bark eater Trail Alliance) website, and pick up a copy of their new map, it shows everything very clearly.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #15
Lucky13

"to take a jump in the river/lake instead of a shower"

It is considered VERY bad form and may get you a ticket if you bring a bar of soap for this.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #16
skillzman1

bar of soap or no bar of soap, me jumping in the lake/river is going to involve bad form either way.
I already booked a site for Ausable Chasm for next weekend. Some easier trails will be a nice change, I'm still healing up from going over the bars last week!