Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

Advise on Raquette river trip please

I'm thinking of a mid may trip up and back on the Raquette from the Crusher or Axton landing to the falls and back. I would be camping a couple of nights. I know power boats can use this section, but hopefully this early, it would be relatively quiet? I have never paddled this section and it's on my bucket list. Thoughts?
Thanks,Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

Sure just do it.. Interestingly I have not seen motorboats but am sure you are correct.. I think most head to Tupper

Its a very nice paddle with fiddleheads coming out and perchance ladyslippers
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
nutmeg creeker

It's about 12 miles up and back starting at Axton. As YC says, probably not a lot of motor traffic at that time. You should have a good pick of LT sites then too, especially if going mid-week. Add about 7 miles each way from Axton to the Crusher and you have a few days of leisurely paddling.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Rich Lockwood

Yes

Sounds good. I go on an early paddle to otherwise busy places in may. Will be using my big, heavy solo-my expedition kevlar Osprey because of going heavy for the weather. Don't like to do carrys with all that weight.
Turtle
Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I paddle that section quite often and see motor boats maybe 1/3 of the trips. When you do see them its usually a little tin fishing boat with small motor. One time 3 guys were heading up stream and I hopped on their wake and rode behind them for 5 minutes or so.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
I paddle that section quite often and see motor boats maybe 1/3 of the trips. When you do see them its usually a little tin fishing boat with small motor.
I've paddled there upwards of 30 different times. Same experience with the few small fishing boats as John mentioned, they were not any problem at all.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A few years ago I did an overnight trip to Raquette Falls from Stony Creek. We paddled in mid-week and had the river to ourselves. Saw very few other people.

We paddled out on a Friday, and passed several motor boats heading up the river. Single occupants, loaded with gear, obviously in a rush. Presumably each had a single group member who'd headed in early to snag a site for the weekend, with the rest of the group coming later.

The Raquette River is also popular with camp and scout groups, as you can have up to 12 in an overnight group there with a permit.

If by "mid-May" you mean before Memorial Day, though, I'd imagine you'll likely have the area all to yourself.

I would advise wearing your life jackets, as the water will still be quite cold. The law requires them to be worn until May 1st, but it's not a bad idea to wear them even later in May before the water temperatures warm up.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
snapper
snapper

You've already gotten lots of good advice but the one thing I'd also warn you about is the potential for a very hard current while paddling up to the falls. I've done this stretch many times about the same time of the year for various programs. Some years the current isn't an issue but there are other years that you don't want to take a break because the flow is so strong. If it's one of those years you may want to head to the bank if a break is in order so you don't lose a lot of ground. Just a thought...

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
58rover

This a nice paddle, done it many times from both put ins. recommend it.
I also have not seen a lot of boat traffic just an occasional one, most of which yield to canoes.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
JimVroman

If you put in at Axton Landing, you'll find that you're paddling against a 2 or 3 mph current.
The current increases as you come nearer to the end of the rapids, but there's some slack water on the left near a large boulder with a nice landing site.
That was the location of a log building in years past.
Mother Johnsons.
That place burned and the state built another that also burned in the 70's.
I was camped just downstream when it burned.
The generator caught fire.
There's a nice little pond little pond (Dawson) near the bottom of the rapids that's good brook trout fishing.
Jim
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Wildernessphoto

I'm looking at doing it April 18th and 19th if the road is open, and the river is high...I love paddling through the woods when the conditions are right :-)

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #12
Rich Lockwood

We paddle a flooded woods here in WNY during the spring. really cool. A friend named it "tree-style canoeing."
Turtle
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #13
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

That's a pretty section of the Raquette, and be sure to walk up the path to see the rapids and falls. I think most power boats go downstream toward Raquette Pond & Tupper; it's quite early anyway, and you're not likely to see any other boats. Based on my previous experience, avoid any lean-to that has a snowmobile trail or short footpath leading to it, because of the increased likelihood of trash there.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #14
latremorej

Thanks for posting. My father and I are planning a trip there too this spring. Long lake to Tupper. Good info here
latremorej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
JimVroman

latre,
You may want to take a slight detour up the Cold River not far from the end of Long Lake.
A nice setting, with a good lean to.
Farther down the river, there are a couple of lean to's after the carry around the rapids.
A nice resting site after the carry.
Jim
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #16
latremorej

Thanks, we were planning on 3 nights, that may be the 'filler' we need to take up the extra time!
latremorej is offline   Reply With Quote