Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
attrail

Dropping packs and Bears

I don't spend much time in the High Peaks during the summer, but this year will be an exception. I am planning a mid-July loop around the Sewards, with side hikes up to the peaks (basically, Coreys Road, Calkins, Cold River, Ward Brook, Coreys).

Question: what are the opinions on the safety of dropping packs containing food at the trail junctions? Specifically, we are planning a clockwise loop, so we would leave our packs at the Calkins Brook herd path junction and be back after Emmons, etc. and then a couple of days later, do the same for Seymour. One thought is that we may have more food than we can cram into a canisters on the first day (with plans to eat the excess the first day/evening), so hang the remainder, or take our chances?

Thanks for any input.
attrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I've done that loop many times. I've had more trouble with squirrels an chipmunks then anything else. I went to a bear canister years ago an haven't had any problems. Do not leave food in tour pack at night if you use the leantos. I've seem mice make Swiss cheese out of a pack before. There is lots to see so take your time.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Wldrns

Agreed, you will have much more trouble and damage caused by "mini bears" if you leave packs unattended. Very expensive damage.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #4

Ditto ditto. Leaving packs will invite destruction from the wee critters. I use the black Garcia can for all food. Just toss it in the woods and you are set. Don't leave any food in pack, or any wrappers from granola bars, etc. If they smell anything, the mice and squirrels will do a number on a pack.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
Wldrns

if any pack pockets are really empty, it pays to unzip them all. Critters are inquisitive and will investigate open pockets, perhaps without feeling the need to chew through from the outside.

A few years ago I saw a black garcia canister with a bottom edge chewed completely through. It was a rental from the HP lodge. The renter admitted he witnessed one or more red squirrels hard at work chewing on it over a 3 day period. IMO he should have been charged full cost of a new one.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
dundee

And open all the zippers & pockets before you leave. If there is a food smell, let them in the front door instead of having them chew a hole.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
attrail

Hey, thanks everyone! I am well advised. I have been looking forward to this one for some time and past trip reports on the forum helped with all the planning. I will let you know how things go.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

the only bad part of the trip is about a quarter mile from the npt. on wardbrook, There is a beaver pond you got to cross , when I was in there last sept it was ankle deep a friend of mine did it last month an it was over his knees he said. He is six ft. There is no way around it.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
attrail

Ha! Now my dilemma is whether to tell the other two guys ahead of time. We ran across something similar in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah a couple of Novembers ago and it was damn cold. At least the water will be warmer. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
TCD

It's too bad that that trail is unmaintained. That section used to be a nice fast dry walk from Seymour to Duck Hole, being an old fire road. Now I guess not so much - continued deterioration of the trail system...sad.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's too bad that that trail is unmaintained. - continued deterioration of the trail system...sad.
Not necessarily. DEC took ATVs down Ward Br. TT all the way to Duck Hole to clear blowdown from Irene. They take care of something when/if they want.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote