Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Baxter

Lost Dogs in West Canada Lake WA - FOUND!

I was hiking with my three dogs this past Friday at 1pm on the French Louie Trail when two of my dogs took off after a deer. I was on the trail and I could see Whitney Lake through the trees to the North when they chased a deer South, away from the lake. I continued on to the West Cananda Lakes calling for them the entire way, but I never heard them again. I camped at the West Canada Creek Lean-to on Friday night, hoping that they would come back at night or by morning.

I woke up Saturday morning and hiked back to my car at Sled Harbor hoping that they may be at the car, but they were not. I spent Saturday night in my car at Sled Harbor. I put a black fleece of mine next to the piles of gravel at Sled Harbor so my scent would be in the area in case they come back. I had my parents come up and stay where I parked on Sunday while I drove down to Otter Lake and bushwhacked North until I came to the French Louie Trail. The entire way I was whistling and calling for my dogs.

I put a note at the Piseco NPT TH, the Perkins Clearing TH, the Spruce Lake TH and the Wakely Dam/Cedar River TH. I spoke with everyone that camped at Spruce, and that went in from Perkins Clearing today when they came out the road, but no one saw the dogs. I also spoke with several Camp Lesseess, but none of them had seen them either.

One is a Gloden Retriever Mix named Amber Rose who has a Green collar with her name, my phone number and a rabies tag. Amber is 1 1/2 years old and all Chestnut/Golden colored. The other is a Black Lab Mix named Dylila (Delilah) and she has a red collar also with her name tag and rabies tag. Dylila is 4 1/2 years old and black with a little white on her chest and a small amount of white around her nose.

I have spoken with the Hamilton County Sherriff's Department, the Forest Ranger for the area and I have left a voice mail with the local dog warden. If anyone has any info please contact me ASAP!

Last edited by Baxter; 05-26-2016 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Found dogs
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Sorry to hear of your situation. Dogs seem to have an instinct to chase deer and when they stop chasing one they may jump another and the whole thing starts again. They will most likely turn up so getting the word out is essential. The mountains will be crowded this weekend but I have a feeling you will receive a call soon. I once found a champion Brittany Pointer wandering around on the top of a mountain on private property and returned him to the owner. Stay hopeful and next time.... well I'm sure you know better by now.

Last edited by Schultzz; 05-23-2016 at 09:34 PM..
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
marshmallow

Will keep my fingers crossed you find your two furry friends. Very glad they have info on their collars and will hopefully be found by someone this week.

Last edited by Neil; 05-25-2016 at 10:51 AM..
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
jaymann

I will be in that area this weekend and will keep an eye out for them.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

May also want to contact some local radio stations as well. Not sure if The Moose reaches that area or not , but they do get the word out about lost / found dogs , I usually hear at least one or two / week when I'm at camp. Lots of dog lovers live in the Adirondacks.
Hope you find them soon.

http://themoose.net/contact

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
RichieC

I have heard that you should leave an item of well worn clothing OF YOURS where you last saw them. They can and will back track, and when they find the clothing, they will hang there waiting for you. In fact there is a thread somewhere here where this has worked. Obviously that isn't exactly near the parking lot… but it may be your best chance. So very sorry for you- they are kids- I know.

I spent a bundle in a remote collar for my two German Shorthair Pointers…for this and other reasons. It works like a charm, rarely have to use it, they are field hunting dogs, and leashes aren't used then either.

I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn’t like a person. —Bill Murray

Here, this is what i was referring to to find a lost dog- was on Facebook:
http://www.reshareworthy.com/how-to-...dAgxtBGz9oS.01

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...ight=lost+dogs

Last edited by RichieC; 05-23-2016 at 10:41 PM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #7
chrs

While not in the area this weekend I will be driving through. I'll keep my eyes open on road sides. I would be devastated if my dogs ever took off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
Brookie hunter

I'm not up to anything important this weekend so I'll take a walk in the general area. Been wanting to explore it anyways.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #9
dmartenvt

I am sorry to hear about your dogs, and I wish you the best in finding them quickly. I have some tips for finding lost dogs.

The best results for dogs up here are with a lot of publicity. Try doing a flyer, with photos of the dogs, details about them where they were last seen, and your contact information. There is a template here. http://d5tgtp2013y33.cloudfront.net/...-dog-flyer.jpg

You can distribute it to local media, radio and TV, local shelters and start a FB site asking people in the area to keep their eyes out and post any sightings. There is also a FB site for lost dogs in upstat NY. We've had dogs found after months this way, though I hope yours are found sooner.

Also, a tip from a bloodhound tracker I've consulted in the past - lost dogs on the move tend to follow along major roadways in the direction of home. Upload a jpg of the flyer and specifically ask for volunteers in the towns on major roadways headed toward your home.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Buckladd

This has been posted on ADKHunter.com: http://adkhunter.com

I'd also suggest posting this in the Hunting/Fishing section of this forum so anglers hitting trout ponds and turkey hunters know about this.

Best of luck!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
cuterocky
Kalie

I shared this on the Adirondacks subreddit for more visibility. I hope your dogs are found soon safely!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Adirondacks..._dogs_in_west/
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I am sorry to hear that you have lost your dogs and I hope that they will be returned to you safely. I don't think that all dogs should have to be leashed in the woods. I have met some dogs, and read about some others (such as Jenny) who clearly are well trained and are just fine to be loose. I have met some dog owners who do not seem to me to have a realistic assessment of how well their dogs will mind them, either in the woods or in their yards. I think that those people sometimes endanger their dogs, other people (including me, on occasion) and other people's dogs by allowing them to run loose. I think that people who love their dogs would be wise to either keep them under direct control or else be very sure that they will respond to voice commands when taking them out and about. I hope that my saying this will not offend anyone on the forum. I do sympathize with the OP's situation and I hope that it will be resolved soon.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
dmartenvt

One more resource, post a notice to Steve Caporizzo's Pet Connection on FB and he'll share. You'll reach over 40,000 animal lovers in that areas who will share and keeping their eyes out for you.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
Baxter

I'd like to thank the positive people that have responded to this post. I greatly appreciate the suggestions I have received. The black lab came back today. My mother was waiting in the parking lot and she came trotting down the trail. The golden retriever, Amber, is still missing.

Last edited by Neil; 05-24-2016 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Bulk of post no longer necessary after thread editing..
Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
jaymann

Glad one returned, hope the other one does the same. Keep us posted on the other one by the end of the week

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann View Post
Glad one returned, hope the other one does the same. Keep us posted on the other one by the end of the week
Agreed!
Very happy to hear Dylila is safe, same positive vibes for Amber Rose!
Thanks for the post & update, Baxter.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
Baxter

Amber is micro chipped. There is a small green die mark on her stomach where they inserted the chip. She loves to eat deer and moose droppings, so she won't go hungry. She is very friendly and loving, so she will probably come to anyone.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
Neil
Kayak-46

Pretty sure I got rid of all the BS. Same old, same old and sadly predictable.

Let me know if I missed anything and I'll get rid of that too.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 AM   #19
dmartenvt

So glad to hear it! I hope the golden comes home soon!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #20
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Pretty sure I got rid of all the BS. Same old, same old and sadly predictable.

Let me know if I missed anything and I'll get rid of that too.
Thanks, Neil.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote