Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
havarthe

Question Suggestions on Living Location in Adirondacks?

My wife and I are considering moving to the Adirondacks on account of its natural beauty and basic isolation.

It would be ideal for us if there were certain existing commercial and social resources, specifically the following:

1. A Costco or similar est.
2. A Trader Joe's or similar est.
3. A university or college.
4. A small downtown section.
5. Proximity to a lake/lakes
6. Proximity to a mountain(range).
7. Some type of government office or agency (my wife has historically worked for the government, a situation we would like to preserve for financial reasons).

Other information: I run an online business and therefore do not need proximity to any work place. Also, we are considering custom building, so no need for an existing development, just a road.

I have spent a few hours trying to find a location that meets all or most of these requirements but have not discovered it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
havarthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
TCD

No place here has all of that, but you might look at Saranac Lake, which has 3-7. You can live without the commercial establishments.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
peskypup

Your best bet may be one of the villages/hamlets just inside the blue line in the southeast corner of the park, near Queensbury/Glens Falls, which will have the commercial resources you're looking for, as well as the government offices/agencies. For lakes you have the Queen of American lakes (Lake George) or a host of smaller lakes nearby if the tourist crowds are a turn-off. And there's plenty of mountains in the area, provided you're not set on them being 4000+ footers.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Costco, TJ's, Whole Foods, etc. are not the type of establishment you'll find inside the blue line. There are a couple of Walmarts on the periphery though.
Gov't agencies in the park are mostly limited to APA, DEC, prisons, and municipal services.

If proximity to university/college is a must, start there (not a very long list of higher ed. places in the park).

PS: For the list priorities you gave, look closer to Albany / Glens Falls area

Last edited by timberghost; 01-05-2016 at 12:24 AM..
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #5
Holdstrong

Another option would be to look at places in the Champlain Valley, which would give you the option of jumping over the lake to VT to get some of what you are after.

That is what we have been doing in recent years. Instead of driving to Plattsburgh, or down toward Saratoga, we get our fill on things like Trader Joes over in Vermont.

The eastern part of the Adirondacks can be hit or miss though, at least in my experience. There are some seriously depressed little towns over there. But there are some real gems too.

My advice, having made the move with my wife about 6 years ago, is to not worry too much about things like 1 through 3, or other "conveniences." Pick an area that calls to you for one reason or another... be it the natural beauty, proximity to your recreations of choice, or the vibe you get from the community when you visit. The other things, the conveniences, you will figure that all out.

Oh, and internet. If you want quality broadband, that will narrow your choices somewhat. Make sure you really look into what is available in the areas you consider, and get guarantees from local providers that will build out to your home if it isn't already wired (or if you will be building your own house).
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
Banoe

You could look at St Lawrence County area near Canton and Potsdam. All most everything on you list is in that area and housing is a lot more affordable than in the Saranac area
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
PaulK

I was in your same shoes in 2000. How can it be 16 years!? I moved to the Adirondacks from Pennsylvania because I wanted to live close to the huge public lands of the Forest Preserve. My native Pennsylvania was posted. The Catskills have even fewer economic opportunities than the Adirondacks, plus they are not a mountain/lake region. We quit our jobs. My wife wanted to have some resources like food shopping nearby, and keep the distance back to PA to 4 hours, so we decided on a periphery town in the foothills of the Adirondacks--Gloversville/Johnstown in Fulton County. The economy was way different in 2000 when we made the move. Everyone was excited by the economic times. Well, I won't say things are bad here now, since I'm 10 minutes from the Blue Line, I can see the mountains from my kitchen window, good jobs, young daughter, a fine house on two acres with a personal lean-to, tiny mortgage, and barn for canoes, but the small downtowns (under 20.000 Gloversville, under 10000 Johnstown) are struggling in Upstate NY. Fulton County as a whole though is doing pretty good, just the old downtowns are struggling, especially with worthless druggies. But we certainly DO NOT have the recurrent crime that Albany and Schenectady have. One thing I wish I could do now would be to get my daughter into a little better school district. That's about it.

Here's how we tackled our move. We made multiple three-day trips to various towns and got a feel for them. If I remember correctly we spent long weekends in:

Queensbury/Glens Falls (Very nice)
Saratoga Springs (My second choice but for expensive real estate. I work with many people here in Fulton County who commute here from Saratoga Springs because they like the quality of life/schools there. Don't miss visiting Saratoga. If I could do it again, I'd probably look for a home anywhere between Broadalbin and Saratoga. But then I wouldn't be 10 minutes from the Blue Line.)
Northville (super nice village, very small, need to be clever to make a living)
Speculator (too remote, couldn't sell my wife on it)
Syracuse (too far from the mountains)
Indian Lake (no food, must forage)
Utica/Rome (still a bit too far, unless you live north of it)
Gloversville/Johnstown (we need more aspiring outdoor folks!)
Burlington VT (too far for wife)

I think everyone here is right in saying look to the periphery towns. You need to decide how close to the mountains you want to be. I like having no highway driving to great backcountry directly north of us. Someday I plan on walking to Lake Placid from my backdoor.

I gotta say, anyone looking to move near the Adirondacks is a friend of mine. YOU MUST LOVE WINTER, there is six months of it here. Know this.

I think many people think moving to the Adirondacks is going to Lake Placid, Saranac Lake. It's not a bad deal living on the periphery, as long as you have a quick and easy approach to the mountains imo. You'll find tons of people who are as die hard about outdoor culture living in the periphery towns as you would in Lake Placid. Example, my 70yr old neighbor to my north is a 46er, my neighbors to my south are skiers, kayakers, boaters. Two doors down our good friends are hunters, camp owners, skiers, you name it. You don't have to"live off the grid" in Essex county to experience the Adirondacks, just sayin.

Good luck. Tweet me ( @paulkalac ) when you come to visit Fulton County or Saratoga County.

Last edited by PaulK; 01-07-2016 at 03:35 PM..
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
TCD

Good points, Paul. We lived in Glens Falls for thirty years before relocating to Keene a couple years ago. I didn't really move for the mountains, but to get out of Miami Florida (hell hole). The career brought me to Glens Falls, but then we fell in love with the Adirondacks, so when I was able to retire, we moved more to the center. There's virtually zero economic opportunity here, so you have to be at a point where you are ready for that, one way or another. But it's a beautiful place full of nice people!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
I think everyone here is right in saying look to the periphery towns. You need to decide how close to the mountains you want to be. I like having no highway driving to great backcountry directly north of us. Someday I plan on walking to Lake Placid from my backdoor.

I gotta say, anyone looking to move near the Adirondacks is a friend of mine. YOU MUST LOVE WINTER, there is six months of it here, And blackflies ,for 2-3 months. Know this.
Fixed that part for ya

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
St.Regis

Look at the Catskills.
St.Regis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
EagleCrag

Surprised no one mentioned Plattsburgh. College town, not in the park, but not far from it. Again, it depends on what one is looking for and how their priorities stack up.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
snapper
snapper

Other college towns not mentioned (at least I didn't see them here) are Potsdam and Canton. Both are north of the Adirondacks but not by much. Colleges are nice because of the "other" things they will bring to an otherwise remote area; i.e. plays, concerts, etc. Just another suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
Hard Scrabble

I'm surprised also that no one mentioned Saranac Lake. "The Little City in the Adirondacks"
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Jackson

I come to the Adirondacks to get AWAY from Costco, etc. You can always take a monthly "stock up" trip to Walmart and live inside the blue line.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
yellowcanoe

Looking back to living in Canton ( 1963-67) there were bars (13 in a town of 5000) and hockey. It is a government seat. For shows etc we often went to Ottawa . ( a little over an hour away)

Some paddling though its farmland, not lake country. The Grasse River was our normal paddling spot. Otherwise it was 45 minutes to mountains and lake ( Tupper, Massawepie, Star etc.)

Aside from a Walmart in Potsdam you will have to forego the trendy stores..Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Paycheck etc.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #16
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Aside from a Walmart in Potsdam you will have to forego the trendy stores..Costco, Trader Joes, Whole Paycheck etc.
I like that - "Whole Paycheck." Isn't that the truth. And Trader Joes just got gigged by inspectors yesterday for consistently under-filled cans of tuna.

I agree with "live where it's nice, go shopping somewhere else periodically." We're in Keene. My current contract work is in Glens Falls, so it's easy to shop once a week. Otherwise we run to Plattsburgh for the big box stores.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
yellowcanoe

I'm in the more nether reaches of Sebago Lake area in Maine with the similar attributes of the LP/SL area. But there are more back roads for tourist evasion in the summer ( personally the traffic in both LP/SL drives me nuts in July..and I have had teaching commitments in that area for two weeks in July for 20 years.)

Believe me, you can get along without the stores. We do have TJ and Whole Foods an hour away. After the initial excitement, I found that that drive just wasn't worth it. Costco always sounds interesting. The nearest one is over 150 miles away. Don't think that I need to go there.

The cultural events in Portland are very important to us. We go to " the city" once a month for a change. At that time we can hit WP/TJ but rarely find out we need to.

My friend in Saranac Lake similarly has a shopping day now and then in Plattsburgh or Burlington. But its the arts and sports that really matter to him too; and he has those.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 AM   #18
havarthe

I thank all of you for responding! So much excellent, thoughtful advice!

Peskypup and Timberghost: Glens Falls and Queensbury seem like they would provide the commercial options we are looking for. I especially like that they are rather close to the blue line, maybe 30-45 minutes. How are they, culturally? For example, do you know if there are concerts there? Are there any towns on the other side of the Blue Line in particular in that region?

I think that DEC and the municipal services may work for my wife. She is trained and currently works as a lawyer, but is interested and willing to do non legal work as well. Timberghost - by APA, do you mean the American Psychological Association? I can't place the acronym!

Holdstrong: thanks, I will make Broadband my number 8. Champlain Valley and hopping over to Vermont seems to be a good option. From Google Maps it seems foresty, mountainous, and obviously quite lakey. It is a huge area - at what point do you cross over into Vermont?

Banoe & Snapper: Potsdam seems good because of Clarkson and SUNY, and there seems to be a good downtown area and the nature is beautiful, but I think we will want to stay on the south or east side, because my wife's family lives near Boston, and my family is in New Jersey.

PaulK: Great advice on taking day trips! We were thinking of spending at least a week in each of our final set of places. I will look into the towns you mention. And I am glad to hear about Winter having such an affection for the Adirondacks - I love winter. But I can't say I like black flies (@1894). We are living in Brooklyn now, and may not have consciously thought about black flies in years. Do the rest of you experience these black flies? Do they bite? Are they more annoying than misquitos? We do get the occasional centipede and roach in our apartment, which quickly gets eaten by one of our cats, but not flies or misquitos. Thank you for your robust answer! Much to think about. We will be in touch =)

EagleCrag: Plattsburgh seems to be about the same distance from the park as Queensbury, but it might be too far north for us.

HardScrable: Saranac Lake seems ideal in that it appears, at least from Google Maps, to have a good downtown area, and it is also right in the middle of the Adirondacks with access to Lake Placid, etc... There is a college there too. I will look into it more even though it isn't in the south and east section. Is the nature different in the center than on the periphery but still in the blue line?

Jackson & Yellowcanoe: Costco is good! Bulk food, inexpensive, high quality. The problem is just that it only exists where there are a lot of people and lots of roads, and I think we are all trying to get away (somewhat) from lots of people and roads... Whole Paycheck is the pricey and borderline obnoxious one (@Yellowcanoe)

TCD: I noticed that my cat's tuna can food today was more full than average. Related matter? Anyway, driving from Keense to GlensFalls seems like a really length commute. How crowded are these roads between these towns?

H
havarthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #19
adirondackcamper

APA is the Adirondack Protection Agency
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #20
yellowcanoe

Well I don't miss Costco never having been in one.

Saranac Lake does not have a lot of shopping. Friends who live there typically go to Lake Placid for that. Frankly I find the grocery stores there abysmal but its only eight miles to Placid.

Check out the businesses http://www.egovlink.com/saranaclake/...iness_listings

Paul Smiths is about 12 miles away. The North Country Community College is pretty small.

You really have to get on the road and visit all your candidates for your self.

If arts and concerts are important to you vs fish dinners at the fire hall you need to be near a population center. Something on the south end of the Adirondacks would put you within 60-75 minutes of Albany

Tags
costco., downtown, living, university