Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #1
Blackhawk

China's richest man buys 28k acres . . .

. . . . . of US wilderness to preserve it

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/5221...gainstmonsanto

excerpt from the report:

"Co-founder of online shopping giant, Alibaba, Jack Ma, has decided to invest $23 million of his own money in a huge chunk of land in the US Adirondack mountains, known as the Brandon Reserve. His long term plan: to retire to the region. His short term plan: stop the logging operations and preserve the country."

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
EagleCrag

Can't see that link without logging in.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
Wldrns

This was first reported here in a thread back in June.
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...referrerid=596

You can simply click in the background to bypass the login window in the Blackhawk referenced link.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Blackhawk

thanks wldrns,
that login box also has an x in it that can be clicked on to eliminate the login box.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Blackhawk

. . . . . keeping in mind that the u.s. is for sale (lock, stock and barrel) and has been for decades - even its public servants/elected officials are for sale and have been for many moons - re nys politico leaders silver and skelos.
, , frank

Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
reindeergirl

Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) has a bill in committee that would allow federal lands and seas to be sold off to private enterprises. Non-binding, but so what.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...-public-lands/

Very important to let your senators and representatives know you oppose SA 838 (Senate Amendment 838). Scroll down to see the text of the Amendment:

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...ona-1696862450
reindeergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

China's richest man buys 28k acres . . .

I heard he borrowed the money from Glen.....
Old 12-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Blackhawk

additional report with more info at this link:
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/25/real...york-property/

Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Jackson

I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
TCD

You could actually probably throw him quite some distance. He's only 5'0", and quite light.

Seriously, he apparently has legitimate concern for the environment, driven from seeing the environmental disasters in his home country. I would trust him more than a lot of local folks who are only interested in preserving their own organizations.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
EagleCrag

To quote from Blackhawk's referenced link:
"Ma sits on the board of directors of conservation charity The Nature Conservancy."
and
"Protecting the environment in China will always be Jack's first and foremost priority and he will continue his strong efforts here," Wilkinson told CNN. "This international land purchase reflects Jack's belief that we all inhabit the same planet and we all breathe the same air, so we are dependent on each other for our collective future."

I'm surprised to see a foreigner on the Nature Conservancy's BOD. I'm also sure that being the "richest man in China" none of his business holdings are guilty of polluting the environment in China.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I'm also sure that being the "richest man in China" none of his business holdings are guilty of polluting the environment in China.
That would take some analysis to determine. But he's mostly rich from the internet, as the founder of Alibaba (sort of a Chinese Amazon). I don't think he owns a bunch of coal burning power plants...
Old 12-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Anyone can buy their way onto a board.

Why does NYS allow sale of the Park?
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
reindeergirl

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/op...for-grabs.html
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
reindeergirl

Elizabeth Little, a New York state republican. One of nature's enemies. Your thoughts? The meanie queen of loggers' "rights."
Old 12-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
TCD

Slow down, kids. It's private land. I'm sure you would not like it if you wanted to sell your house, but some government panel found some aesthetic value in it and would not allow you to sell it. Or maybe that would be OK; after all, Yale students just overwhelmingly supported a (sham) proposal to repeal the first amendment; why not the fourth as well?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
Neil
Kayak-46

I don't see this as a political "issue" but as a legal one. It's legal for me (a Canadian) and any Chinese billionaires who want to, to buy private land in the US.

Btw, how separate is the judiciary (supposed to be) from politics in the US?
Old 12-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #18
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Slow down, kids. It's private land. I'm sure you would not like it if you wanted to sell your house, but some government panel found some aesthetic value in it and would not allow you to sell it. Or maybe that would be OK; after all, Yale students just overwhelmingly supported a (sham) proposal to repeal the first amendment; why not the fourth as well?
If the house was in the middle of a state park, I'd expect the taxpayers of the state to express an interest in the purchase.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #19
TCD

OK, that's fine. You are certainly free to develop an expectation of how someone else wants to spend their money. But it's the taxpayers' money, and it's their decision how to spend it. Funny how the organizations that are so rabid to buy this kind of land seldom belly up to the bar themselves, with their own money to buy it. It's all about marching with signs to spend someone else's money.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #20
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Can't see that link without logging in.
Well he did say he was going to stop the logging

Doesn't matter who buys what land from what nation. Plenty of wealthy Americans buy land in other nations for vacation or retirement, why can't it work the other way?

Thing I don't understand is, if you were the conservationist you say you are, wouldn't you want to give the land to the forest preserve? Oh wait... no... because we have many other groups who can do it privately and keep it better than the state and keep the riff-raff out at the same time.

OK, buy the land, but I call bull hockey on the whole conservationist thing.

And if you think I'm full of it, just think for a minute if instead of a bunch of large tracts of accessible state land, you had a bunch of large tracts of private 'wilderness' instead. Any of you on here who say you'd support that are liars. You all want access just as much as the rest of us.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote