Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
Bark Eater Too

Good luck. I will be up next week and will keep my eyes open. Sure hope you find her before then!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #22
jcurso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I am sorry to hear that you have lost your dogs and I hope that they will be returned to you safely. I don't think that all dogs should have to be leashed in the woods. I have met some dogs, and read about some others (such as Jenny) who clearly are well trained and are just fine to be loose. I have met some dog owners who do not seem to me to have a realistic assessment of how well their dogs will mind them, either in the woods or in their yards. I think that those people sometimes endanger their dogs, other people (including me, on occasion) and other people's dogs by allowing them to run loose. I think that people who love their dogs would be wise to either keep them under direct control or else be very sure that they will respond to voice commands when taking them out and about. I hope that my saying this will not offend anyone on the forum. I do sympathize with the OP's situation and I hope that it will be resolved soon.
Zach
Exactly.. If your dog isn't under control, then it's HANDLER ERROR that is responsible... Dogs will be dogs, and deer have a hard enough time in the north country then running from dogs during the birthing season. And that is the memo.
jcurso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #23
Neil
Kayak-46

This being a dog thread, and dog threads having a tendency to turn ugly, I'll just point out that it's OK to offer criticism but only if it's done in an informative and even-toned way. Any insults or flaming will be deleted and as per this friendly warning, sanctions (potentially of a rather severe nature) will be doled out to the the rightful owners of unleashed posts.

Carry on.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #24
Bounder45

OP,
I will be up in that area this coming weekend, so I'll hike out there and see what I can find. I have actually had my own "oh crap" moments with my own dog. He took off chasing something on two separate occasions and was gone for at least 20-30 minutes. Both times, I stayed in the general area of where I last saw him and called him until he finally came back...most dogs have that instinct to find their way back to a known location. At this point, however, you're best bet is to hit up camp sites, trailheads, nearby cabins, talk to locals....trying any sort of search in that wilderness area will amount to trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I've since gotten a a good, durable e-collar for my dog, which has worked very well at keeping him in my general proximity. I would highly recommend one; 1-2 well-timed shocks is likely all that will be needed to teach your dog what he can and can't do.

Last edited by Bounder45; 05-25-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
aft paddle

I think it's good to allow discussion on controversial topics. I feel that no matter how well trained, three loose dogs on public land is pushing it. Too many instances like this could lead to changing leash laws, negatively affecting more responsible owners. I didn't find the specific law or complete article but I did a search on DEC website for dogs running deer and found: (A named ECO) "issued an appearance ticket to the owner for allowing the dog to run free on lands inhabited by deer, which is a violation of the Environmental Conservation Law." Wonder how that got on the books?
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
I think it's good to allow discussion on controversial topics. I feel that no matter how well trained, three loose dogs on public land is pushing it. Too many instances like this could lead to changing leash laws, negatively affecting more responsible owners. I didn't find the specific law or complete article but I did a search on DEC website for dogs running deer and found: (A named ECO) "issued an appearance ticket to the owner for allowing the dog to run free on lands inhabited by deer, which is a violation of the Environmental Conservation Law." Wonder how that got on the books?
I've never found a regulation that explicitly states that allowing dogs to run off leash is prohibited (with the obvious exception of certain specific areas that either require leashed dogs or prohibit dogs all together).

What is explicitly stated is that it is illegal to allow dogs to chase/harass wildlife with the exception of certain small game and furbearers that are either in hunting or training season, or bear that is within training season (both of which require hunting and/or special permits).

So the only way a ECO is going to issue a dog owner a ticket is if he finds the dog actively chasing game (in a way that violates the above mentioned regulations)...simply being off leash is not illegal.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #27
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I have met some dog owners who do not seem to me to have a realistic assessment of how well their dogs will mind them.
I don't know if this statement is pertinent wrt to the case in this thread or not. But I do know that it is very, very true and wonderfully understated. But, what can you do?

In Montreal we have this gigantic forested park, right downtown with a 600 foot elly gain mountain. It's illegal but just about every dog owner who goes takes their dog off-leash. This results in frantic people all over the place calling and calling their GD dogs who are of course having the best time of their lives.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #28
Holdstrong

Discussing "controversial" topics is good, and important. But I maintain that it is extraordinarily distasteful to be doing so in this thread. The polite and appropriate place to do so - if it really needs to be done, and if Neil allows it - would be in a separate thread specifically about the "controversial" issue.

Not in a thread started by someone who is missing pets that are important to them, came here looking for help, and is (or, at least, was) providing updates. I would like to think that this community would react with kindness, empathy and helpfulness in this scenario... as opposed to lectures and debates.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #29
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post
Discussing "controversial" topics is good, and important. But I maintain that it is extraordinarily distasteful to be doing so in this thread. The polite and appropriate place to do so - if it really needs to be done, and if Neil allows it - would be in a separate thread specifically about the "controversial" issue.

Not in a thread started by someone who is missing pets that are important to them, came here looking for help, and is (or, at least, was) providing updates. I would like to think that this community would react with kindness, empathy and helpfulness in this scenario... as opposed to lectures and debates.
Agreed, and well put.
No doubt lessons have been learned, and no need to point them out with a rude comment, hence my frustration & anger ealier in the thread. Thanks to Neil for cleaning up the mess that apparently I helped create. My apologies, and thanks for the messages that I've received in support of the OP.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #30
jaymann

Lost Dogs in West Canada Lake WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post

I agree with this, there should be discussion in a seperate thread. The OP is simply asking for help, not an opinion.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #31
Justin
Moving along

I often wonder why the DEC does not consider dogs important enough to be considered as a "missing" or "lost" member of a hiking party to at least assist in some level of search & rescue. All too often we see the irresponsibility of a group getting seperated from other members within their group which requires DEC assistance, and in most cases the missing member(s) are found on or near a marked trail not far from where they got separated. Accidents happen, preventable or not, and dogs are no exception imho.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #32
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

There is already some debate and some variation among the northeastern states about taxpayer-funded SAR operations for people who are deemed to have behaved in a reckless or irresponsible manner, and I am guessing that many people might consider taxpayer-funded SAR for people's dogs to be a bridge or two too far. DEC already is quite overextended due to the current size of their budget as I understand it.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #33
Foraging_bear

Very Sorry to hear and best of luck finding her , my girlfriend, myself and our dog Maggie are planning a hike in that area this weekend. We will keep our eyes out for any signs and post here if we have any news
Foraging_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #34

Keep getting the word out , lost dog posters and flyers help. Chances are she has found a road by now and looking for food .
As far as the DEC , guess it depends on the officer . They are out most every day so a description and a phone number to call you can't hurt. Our local one has been helpful in the past.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Baxter

Amber Rose was seen this morning near Sled Harbor in the Perkins Clearing area. A gentleman called me and said he saw her walking the road towards Mason Lake. He tried to call her but she ran away. My parents are in the area looking for her, and I will be headed over there after I get out of work.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #36
serotonin
ember

Good News.
Good Luck!
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #37
Baxter

Amber Rose was found today at 10 am. Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts and support. I really appreciate it.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #38
Pole Brook Wulff

We're headed in to our camp at Perkins Clearing tomorrow for the long weekend. We'll keep an active eye out and make it a point to drive the Military Road and/or Jessup River Road a little more than we are used to if she hasn't been located by the time we arrive.
Pole Brook Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #39
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Amber Rose was found today at 10 am. Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts and support. I really appreciate it.
Great news!

(If you know how, you should now edit the thread title to say "Lost Dogs - Found!")
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #40
marshmallow

Yahoo

Awesome news and so happy you have been reunited with your furry friend. I sure she is more than happy to see you!!!!! Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!
marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote