Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #21
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Wild does in their twenties??!!
I would have to dispute that.
Jim
Exactly. It is unlikely you are going to see a wild doe in her 20s.

But, since does can give birth in their 20s, it means that just about any doe you see in the wild is still of breeding age... and not 'dry'
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #22
wellsley

I can think of two wild creatures (I'm sure there is more) that taking the biggest baddest specimen is beneficial. Large snapping turtles raise havoc with all sorts of other critters. Large bruins will seek out bear cubs to kill them so the sow could be bred sooner. Proper wildlife management will prevent harmful effects of over harvesting of mature adults. Take the current deer herd in NYS, there are more and healthier deer in NY then there was 100 years ago.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #23
Traditional Archer

Maybe in captivity? I know that a deer that might make it to ten in the wild is considered an old deer.
Traditional Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #24
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
I can think of two wild creatures (I'm sure there is more) that taking the biggest baddest specimen is beneficial. Large snapping turtles raise havoc with all sorts of other critters. Large bruins will seek out bear cubs to kill them so the sow could be bred sooner. Proper wildlife management will prevent harmful effects of over harvesting of mature adults. Take the current deer herd in NYS, there are more and healthier deer in NY then there was 100 years ago.
Wells,
One hundred years ago, the Adirondacks were being heavily logged.
I have photos of the Indian Lake area where a tree was not to be seen.
There were deer everywhere due to the opening of the canopy.
I see old photos of "meat poles" with large numbers of bucks hanging.
The Catskills are a different story.
Small farms were abandoned and left to grow up in new growth. Perfect deer habitat.
So, my belief is that there are now fewer deer (but larger) in the Adirondacks.
Lots of deer in the southern tier. Those old farms are still growing brush.
Bear population is subject.
Jim
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #25
Bounder45

OP, this article you presented seems more than a little one-sided on the whole topic of hunting. I, and most hunters as well, agree that indiscriminately killing all healthy, strong males of a certain species is not good for that species' overall health.

But there are standards and regulations put into play by the wildlife management groups (in the various states and at the federal level) to ensure that animal populations are 'managed' and 'conserved' rather than hunted into extinction, as has happened to certain species in the past.

Issuance of tags, restrictions based on size and time of the year and geographic location...there are lot of measures used by the DEC (and comparable organizations in other states) to keep the Deer population healthy. People forget that the whitetail deer was hunted to very low numbers in the early 1900's (as low as 500,000 according to some estimates) and now we have as many as 32 Million deer across the US.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote