Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Bubajuk

Garmin gpsmap 60

Iím new to GPS units. Would a Garmin GPS map 60 still be a viable choice purchased used in perfect condition for $70? Thank you for any input
Bubajuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Bob K

Sounds like a good deal to me. Know that model is old and archaic interface but sensitivity and battery life are above average. I use mine often and it works great with rechargeable AA batteries.

I paid around $200 for used one perhaps 3 years ago. It was very popular and replacement clips and even battery cover are still available.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Wldrns

I have four of them that I use for my SAR team and for Yukon River canoe racing. This is the model that was issued to NYSDEC Rangers a few years ago, but have since replaced most of them with newer models. I have no complaints with the old 60. As a matter of fact I bought the model 62 when it came out and hated it, as it ate batteries. The old 60s keep running after 24+ hours (most important during the 24+ hour Yukon races; I run two of them side by side with different displays). But I could set my watch when the 62 batteries (lithium) run out at just 7 hours time after time. I almost threw the dang thing in the river. My SAR team also has a 64 and a 66, but I still prefer the 60 the best, for a couple of other reasons beyond battery life. I found a spare 60 on ebay, which I snatched up quickly. i would advise anyone to do the same. Note, Garmin no longer supports the 60 with system updates, so you take what you can get.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
nutmeg creeker

Absolutely worth getting. I have two and use them a lot--skiing, canoeing, and train riding
Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
Absolutely worth getting. I have two and use them a lot--skiing, canoeing, and train riding
I have one, and canít for the life of me figure out how to link it to software any more...I canít find my old key code to unlock the last version I had, so I feel like Iím stuck. Any tips would be appreciated.