Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #21
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Nice weekend for hunting with the smokepole. I only saw one deer, but heard a lot of shooting. We're concerned that too many does are being taken in our area. Every year it seems a lot of guys that don't hunt here during the rifle season come in during muzzleloading to meat hunt.
I agree. They take an unnecessary pounding up there in a region with already low deer numbers.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #22
dpc34

Eastside of LG has plenty of does and fawns.....just ask anyone that lives on the Pilot Knob road...and drives on it...oh not to mention flower gardens...gone....In talking to the hunters on the Eastside most of the sign was down low and no acorns up high...just saying ..have a safe opening weekend and season.....enjoy
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #23
Buckladd

The problem with doe shooting is that it can't be micro-managed. Like DCP says, in Pilot Knob, where there is plenty of public land too, there are lots of deer and they cause problems. Same for where I live, which is where I'll shoot a doe.

However, in the Hogtown area, or any other place away from human population, it's a different story and there has been more doe shooting in that area in recent years than many are comfortable with. Even a camp up there that used to be pretty liberal about it is getting concerned.

Back in 2012 part of DEC's management plan was a doe permit proposal for the NZ archery and muzzleloading seasons. I personally liked that idea, but it got a lot of criticism and was scrapped.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #24
dpc34

What is really interesting is the number of hikers using the Buck Mt trail and never see the hunter that they walk right by....an ADK drive...I have been on Buck when 4 does and I watched a family of 4 walk by and they never saw us....but what I missed was the buck that was bedded down behind the 4 does...that is why they call it hunting...again enjoy your season and be safe..Dan, we hunt the same Mt but different sides..and sometimes I am with iron sights....
Old 10-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #25
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
What is really interesting is the number of hikers using the Buck Mt trail and never see the hunter that they walk right by....an ADK drive...I have been on Buck when 4 does and I watched a family of 4 walk by and they never saw us....but what I missed was the buck that was bedded down behind the 4 does...that is why they call it hunting...again enjoy your season and be safe..Dan, we hunt the same Mt but different sides..and sometimes I am with iron sights....
One time a few years back my cousin and I were making a drive on the "Mountain" and we agreed to check in with each other when we reached the state trail before continuing on. When I got to the trail there were two gals and a dog there, and I chatted with them for a bit before radioing my cousin. When I did, he said "Hey, there's two hot blondes coming your way." They were standing right there listening. I was embarrassed, they were flattered! True story!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #26
dpc34

All stories are true regarding hunting and fishing....just saying
Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #27
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
All stories are true regarding hunting and fishing....just saying
At least the one's that actually involve deer!

How was everyone's opening weekend? I was out of town. Our group hunted in Warren County, saw lots of does and some buck sign but no bucks. I was in Cortland for a meeting. Went turkey hunting with some guys and we jumped what is likely the biggest buck I'll see this year. A real beauty!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #28
skillzman1

I missed a small 4 on the run after bushwhacking a 1000' of elevation in God forsaken ledge and swamp holes! It's my drug of choice!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #29
Mallard1100

Just got back after 4 days in our long lake camp. Only does and very little buck sign. Found 1 small rub and few scrapes. I did have a giant bull moose come under my stand at 10 yards which was pretty cool. The real kicker was seeing a nice buck bedded on a knob over looking a meadow on the drive out. Naturally off the property on another camps lease......
Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #30
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Just got back after 4 days in our long lake camp. Only does and very little buck sign. Found 1 small rub and few scrapes. I did have a giant bull moose come under my stand at 10 yards which was pretty cool. The real kicker was seeing a nice buck bedded on a knob over looking a meadow on the drive out. Naturally off the property on another camps lease......
Having any moose walk under ones stand would be cool but a big bull...that's super cool.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #31
Cpswing555

which buck mountain are we talking about here
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #32
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Having any moose walk under ones stand would be cool but a big bull...that's super cool.
Thanks. It was a pretty cool experience. Wish it was easier to post photos here. J have quite a few to share but donít have a third party sharing site since they changed photo bucket.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:41 PM   #33
Cpswing555

just got back from Colorado. (first time) the group saw 8 or 9 moose. more than we saw elk. great time and I highly recommend it.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #34
Buckladd

How's everyone's season going so far? I missed opening weekend but we hit it hard this weekend. The flood damage altered our plans but it worked out as we had a guy get a 4-pointer on Saturday. It's his first deer in over 25 years. He just started hunting again because his teenage grandson is interested. We let another buck slip through one of our biggest drives. Some buck sign, mostly rubs. Lots of acorns and some beechnuts too.

Meanwhile, this one was killed in our area:
https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/20...i4hZgVEU4f6X2M

Last edited by Buckladd; 11-05-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #35
Stillhunter

I got a button buck with the bow last week in Allegany County. Now hunting for a nice buck that I got on a trail cam. Plan to hunt the last week of NZ this year in central Adirondacks. Can't wait to go north.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #36
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
How's everyone's season going so far? I missed opening weekend but we hit it hard this weekend. The flood damage altered our plans but it worked out as we had a guy get a 4-pointer on Saturday. It's his first deer in over 25 years. He just started hunting again because his teenage grandson is interested. We let another buck slip through one of our biggest drives. Some buck sign, mostly rubs. Lots of acorns and some beechnuts too.

Meanwhile, this one was killed in our area:
https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/20...i4hZgVEU4f6X2M
That is an awesome Adk buck! Congrats to the Pastor.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #37
Cpswing555

leave tomorrow
Old 11-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #38
Buckladd

Have you guys seen the forecast? Snow tonight and more on Tuesday of next week. I'm on vacation all week. Not sure if I can get into the camp or not, but hunting will commence!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #39
Sparkey

Snow is good but hopefully not to much made hunting tough last year in November
Sparkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #40
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
Snow is good but hopefully not to much made hunting tough last year in November
I hear that. Was hunting in 18" of it last year on Nov. 16. I'll take 4" of fluffy stuff!